Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity is $5/gallon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At $0.15 / kWh each mile in a model 3 costs about 3.6 cents.

Based on that number, taking it a step further. Assuming an equivalent ICE car would get about 30/mpg. That means you are paying the equivalent of about $1.08/gal (30 miles x 3.6 cents). Which is similar to my calcs for my MS at 11 cents/Kwh. So MUCH better than $5/gal

$8000 for a 2kW solar PV system will generate enough electricity to drive about 15,000 miles per year for 20+ years. Let's say 20 years to be conservative (also the typical panel warranty these days). 20 years x 15,000 miles/yr = 300,000 miles. Assuming a 30mpg premium gas car equivalent, that would be 10,000 gallons of gas. $8000/10,000 gallons = $0.80/gallon.

Ok, gotta factor in replacing the inverter at some point and decreased efficiency of the panels over time, and maybe you live somewhere that doesn't get as much sun, and maybe you drive a big "less efficient" EV SUV, and maybe we'll compare it to a 50mpg hybrid, but we're still in the ballpark of under $1.50/gallon equivalent even in the worst case scenario.

Reactions: 0ptions
$8000 for a 2kW solar PV system will generate enough electricity to drive about 15,000 miles per year for 20+ years. Let's say 20 years to be conservative (also the typical panel warranty these days). 20 years x 15,000 miles/yr = 300,000 miles. Assuming a 30mpg premium gas car equivalent, that would be 10,000 gallons of gas. $8000/10,000 gallons = $0.80/gallon.
Yep, although it can be much cheaper.

I paid 1/3 your presumed cost for top of the line equipment. My car runs 0.5 cents a mile to fuel. The same 30 mpg car would have to find gas at 15 cents a gallon to compete.

Ignoring vehicles and the overhead of preparing and delivering that gasoline for a moment...

What's the most efficient consumer-available gasoline-to-energy converter that fits in a one-car garage these days?

Ignoring vehicles and the overhead of preparing and delivering that gasoline for a moment...

What's the most efficient consumer-available gasoline-to-energy converter that fits in a one-car garage these days?

If you’re thinking of getting a portable generator get a dual fuel one that works on gasoline or propane. Gas will go bad eventually, but propane can be stored indefinitely. Propane can also still be obtained in a power outage when a gas station pump would be inoperable.