Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity Tariff (what are you paying)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's almost as if they don't want you to take a fixed contract. The standard rate is much, much lower.
Screenshot 2021-12-28 at 12.18.27.png

I got my gas bill today -- £170 for 23-Nov to 22-Dec!! So I thought "WTF -- I need to switch to something cheaper". Turns out... I'm already on the cheapest possible plan: the Octopus Tracker v1 capped @ 6p per kWh. Some of the tariffs out there are just bonkers. No wonder companies are going bust left and right, and I do wonder how some households will cope.

So far this Month (December 2021) we've used 1.72 MWh of Electricity.

That's nearly £900 worth at those EDF Rates (including Standing Charge)...

Edit: ... what it's actually cost us is £126.76 including Standing Charge from Octopus Go

Using two Tesla Powerwalls and EV Charger on night rates... 👍👍👍 ... the higher these rates go up, the faster ROI on all this kit, and added luxury of not worrying about it all.

Last edited:
I got my gas bill today -- £170 for 23-Nov to 22-Dec!! So I thought "WTF -- I need to switch to something cheaper". Turns out... I'm already on the cheapest possible plan: the Octopus Tracker v1 capped @ 6p per kWh. Some of the tariffs out there are just bonkers. No wonder companies are going bust left and right, and I do wonder how some households will cope.

How we dealt with this Gas Boiler issue, was to keep it... but also install an Electric Heat Pump (Air to Air) system.

Gas Boiler comes on in the mornings only, Heats up all the rooms, and then Heat Pump maintains temperature & humidity for rest of the day.

In October 2020 we used 60 hours of Gas Heating... in October 2021 it was only 16 hours of Gas. Lots less.

But the Gas Boiler and Central Heating is still there to be used if needed.

How we dealt with this Gas Boiler issue, was to keep it... but also install an Electric Heat Pump (Air to Air) system.

Gas Boiler comes on in the mornings only, Heats up all the rooms, and then Heat Pump maintains temperature & humidity for rest of the day.

In October 2020 we used 60 hours of Gas Heating... in October 2021 it was only 16 hours of Gas. Lots less.

How much higher is your electricity bill going to be for using a heat pump at 50p/kWh?

How much higher is your electricity bill going to be for using a heat pump at 50p/kWh?

We don't use the Heat Pump at 50p/kWh...

In Winter, we download cheap overnight electric at £0.05p per 1kWh.... and then use that 27 stored kWh during the day (to power the Heat Pump). If any use spills over into peak rate, we currently pay £0.1372p per 1kWh

In Summer, we download Solar Energy electric at £0.00 per 1kWh... and use this stored power for the house & car... the Heat Pump is reversed for Air Conditioning during Summer.

If overnight cheap tariffs disappear completely, we can jump over to the Tesla Virtual Grid, and cycle the Powerwalls for payment, to offset higher domestic rates.

Or flick across back to Gas, if its cheaper. Total flexibility.

So far this Month (December 2021) we've used 1.72 MWh of Electricity.

That's nearly £900 worth at those EDF Rates (including Standing Charge)...

Edit: ... what it's actually cost us is £126.76 including Standing Charge from Octopus Go
When I joined Bulb back in 2017 I was paying sub 4p/kWh night rate. Prices have gone up steadily over the last few years, Octopus is running Go at a loss, is simply isn't sustainable longterm.

If EDF thinks they need to be charging 50p/kWh for electricity and 12p/kWh for Gas to break-even, sadly this is the kind of cost thats coming to all of us.

Or flick across back to Gas, if its cheaper. Total flexibility.

Gas at 12p/kWh is x3 time more expensive than the current price cap, there is no escaping the increase in energy costs that coming unless can generate a massive amount of energy. Short of a wind turbine in the back garden in winter we are all going to be ££££ more energy.

When I joined Bulb back in 2017 I was paying sub 4p/kWh night rate. Prices have gone up steadily over the last few years, Octopus is running Go at a loss, is simply isn't sustainable longterm.

If EDF thinks they need to be charging 50p/kWh for electricity and 12p/kWh for Gas to break-even, sadly this is the kind of cost thats coming to all of us.

Well... it isn't something I'm worried about.

Our Octopus Go contract runs until May 2022

Then Summer Solar Power will take over and we'll have free energy until October again.

Then, whatever happens... happens 😁🙂

I can blend Grid Electric, Solar or Gas... whichever is cheaper