Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity too expensive with PGE for EVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have SDG&E, but it's new TOU peak periods are similar to PG&E I believe.

We maximize the amount of solar credit with our Powerwalls. All our solar production from 4-9pm goes to the grid (during that time our house runs 100% off the Powerwalls).
I don't really think of PV as generating much between 4 - 9pm. How much do you send to the grid a year in this time period, and what is the size/orientation of your PV array ?

It does count toward the $10 minimum monthly bill so for people already at the minimum bill it only adds $6 a month. Obviously this calculation only matters for those thinking of adding an EV since if you're already at the minimum bill then your rate plan doesn't matter.
Adding more solar is probably more economical than powerwalls right now but I wouldn't be surprised if solar becomes even less valuable in the future. It feels like we're in a utility death spiral in San Diego. SDG&E wants to raise the minimum bill to $38 a month.

My bill with Potomac Edison is only $6 a month. Well, ok, $6.10 a month. (no one in the house at the moment)