TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Electricity usage increase - cost increase after getting model3

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by angelman, Jul 21, 2018.

1. angelman

angelman Member

I just got my electric bill and it was a bit of a shocker. Normally we have very low electric usage, about $50-60/month. If we run AC a few days a month that goes up to $120-160/month. This month my bill is about $390!
    We have been running AC more than usual but I can only imagine the car charging is making up the difference. I have done about 500 miles so far in it over the last 2 weeks. Just wondered other people's experiences and what to expect

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Member

The Model 3 uses about 250Wh/mile so:
    Cost = miles driven * 0.25kWh/mile * price per kWh
    There may be EV plans that give you cheaper rates at night.

3. GaryW

GaryW Supporting Member

17.8 cents per kilowatt hour? That is what I read online for the average electric rate for LA

500 (miles) x .250 (kilowatts per mile) x .178 (dollars per kilowatt) = $22.25

Please correct me if I got the math wrong.

• Helpful x 1
  4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Something Is Wrong.

Billing errors happen.
    Double-check the bill to ensure you read it correctly.
    Check the meter readings on the bill and double-check your meter readings.

How do your kWh used compared to last month and last year?

What is your peak cost per kWh?
    $200 is:
    500kWh at $0.40/kWh
    666kWh at $0.30/kWh
    1000kWh at $0.20/kWh

500kWh extra _could_ happen if you have a power-intensive electrical device go wrong, or left on.
    There are 720 hours in 30 days so a device that sits constantly using 695W (that's under 6A on 120V) could use 500kWh in a month.
    So you might want to check for a bad appliance.

• Helpful x 1
  5. animorph

animorph Member

Not a Time Of Use plan with a demand charge? That would send our bill soaring, even with not too many kWh, if I charged at the wrong time of day. Otherwise the big bill is not the car.

6. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

I'm gonna bet on the air conditioner. It would be instructive to report the kWh usage on the current bill, and compare that to last summer. And also note the comparative average temperatures during those billing periods.

Dollars are basically meaningless, because rates vary, etc. kWh usage is meaningful.

• Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. gene

gene Supporting Member

You must have hit some higher tiers. I suggest you switch to TOU (time of use) billing. Then you simply charge at night.
    If you own your home, these days a PV solar system only takes about 5 to 6 years to break even, and then your electricity is free forever on. I have a great guy Stephen Dobbie with California Solar Electric. I am a perfectionist and I can say Stephen and his crew do superb work and get it done efficiently. Stephen's number is: 510-812-9035.

• Like x 2
  8. TT97

TT97 Member

I think the multiple days above 100° and one over 110° has a lot to do with electric bill. I have a Nest thermostat that goes in eco mode during the day (set to 89°) and my system was still running almost 24/7 for a week.

• Like x 1
  9. Roentgen

Roentgen Member

My guess is your rate plan. If your math works out better for Time Of Use, go to that plan and make sure you charge at night when it's the cheapest rate.

Otherwise as people have said, you will be charged for your total electricity use which will screw you no matter what time of day you charge. Electricity in So Cal is expensive.

10. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

500 miles is about 125 kWHr of usage (500*250Whr/mile). Check your bill and see what 125 kWHr does to your cost. BTW, that's about the amount of power that 3 60 watt light bulbs would use if used all month.

11. rdlink

rdlink Member

#11 rdlink, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    In addition to what others have said, I am wondering about your statement that you "have done about 500 miles so far in it over the last 2 weeks."

Have you only had the car for two weeks, or longer? Because I find it very difficult to believe that your utility company would have a bill to you already that covers usage over the last two weeks. Once they read the meter the bill for that meter reading would take weeks to reach you, if not a full month. For instance, my utility reads my meter on the 6th of every month. I get the bill for that reading on the 5th of the following month.

12. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

"Normally we have very low electric usage, about $50-60/month. If we run AC a few days a month that goes up to $120-160/month."

This is the line that has me curious. A few days or extra AC (is that simply 3 or more or 3-5 or half the month?), shouldn't increase one's bill 100%. If that were the case, the entire month with AC could end up costing you over 1000$, which can't be the case.

As others have said, you could be on tiers and you simply hit the tier 3 or 4 pricing, which can increase the $/kwh a LOT. Base rate in the Bay Area is .19, then it goes to .28, then it jumps to .46 and of course that is for EVERY hour of every device after that point. I have alerts setup to let me know if I'm getting close to Tier 3 (from Tier 2) or if for example I'm heading to Tier 4 which is usurious.

If you're at home a lot during says (or if someone else is) and or if you start the AC in the late afternoons to cool down a house in the summer time, a TOU rate starts to break down pretty quickly.

I've found/figured that if I'm in an AC period like the summer, or a very cold period in the winter, Im probably overall better off just supercharging at .26 in CA (vs. my Tier 2 rate of .28) so that only those hours are at that rate and not ALL my hours if I get up and over into Tier 2 or worse Tier 3.

13. Need

Need Active Member

It's your AC. It is not going to matter if you stay on Tier Plan or go to ToU, your AC is going to cost about $0.35 to $0.37 per kWh to run during the day. Your car was only costing you about $45 for those 500 miles even at $0.37 rate. Your AC will use probably about 4kWh per hour. If you run it from 8am to 8pm, it will cost you $17 for that day. It doesn't take a lot of hot days to get your bill up a hundred or 2.

BTW, my normal bill (on ToU) since I got our Model X was about $200. Last month my bill was $400 because of the extra AC usage at peak hours. It would not matter if I stay at Tier plan because with the extra usage on the car, it will go into High Usage tier anyway.

14. angelman

angelman Member

Thanks for the input. I am sure it is the AC and the multiple days over 100C and family being home has certainly meant we use the AC more than usual. Our AC is not so new and the house sparsely insulated to all very inefficient.. but we don't use the AC too often so it's not really been worthwhile spending the considerable amount of money needed to upgrade everything. Likewise with solar our usual consumption of $60/month or less does not really make it worth the investment. I talked to socaledison about TOU and they said again that our average usage of <$100 meant that all the TOU plans would end up costing us more. I'll continue to monitor the bills and usage and see how things work out. In the meantime maybe I'll just have the wife wear a few less clothes around the house and buy her a paper fan to keep herself cool in the day!

• Funny x 1
  15. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

That was before you got the electric car? Might be worth running the numbers again, once your driving patterns settle out.

16. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

We have had some peak day pricing events also where the rate increases dramatically. Check with your provider. You are likely with SCE.

17. angelman

angelman Member

Yes I intend to.. just want to get an idea from other drivers if I could set any expectations about increase in electric costs.

18. Reid

Reid Member

You're almost certainly bumping into a new tier.

For example, my 'overnight' rate in tier1 is 15.1c/kWh. But if I go into tier2, it's 22c.

Pre-EV, (our 3 just arrived 3 days ago), we only brush tier2 so it's not really a concern. HOWEVER, since we're right at that boundary, that means any additional load we put on the grid is virtually all at tier2.

So, long story short, solar installers arrive next week :D

• Helpful x 1
  19. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Sounds like you hit tier 3 where electricity rates are like $0.30+ a kw.

TOU is no better. It’s $0.40+ a kw during the day till like late afternoon. Then evening rates are still in the upper $0.20! So any and all electricity useage in the evening is still expensive.

Sure you can charge you car for cheap but drives up the cost of everything else you normally use.

• Informative x 1
  20. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

0.11¢ KWh as long as I don’t charge it between 1pm-7pm.

Monthly cost to drive my car = $33