TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Electricity Usage Meter

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by byan1232, Nov 15, 2016.

1. byan1232

byan1232 Member

My condominium finally approved EV owners to install a 240V outlet next to our deeded parking spot. They are currently charging us a $25 fixed monthly fee to charge on top of the installation/labor cost of the outlet.

That being said, I only drive the car during the weekends and definitely do not use $25 worth of KWH of electricity per month. My math is essentially 30-40KWH per week totaling 120-160KWH per month. At current rates of $0.08kwh it would be $9.60-$12.80 a month.

So my question is does anyone know of a usage meter that I can install in conjunction with the outlet to monitor how much KWH I actually used. That was I can be billed accordingly.

Thanks!

2. byan1232

byan1232 Member

The management company told me it will cost $1800 to get a 240V outlet. Is it just me or does that sound ridiculous?

3. Max*

Max* Not Banned

Where in NYC are you paying $0.08/kwh? It's normally double or triple that for that area.

It depends on a lot of things. How far is the run? Does it need to be trenched? etc. etc. etc.

$1,800 is not out of the realm of possibility for a decent quote.

4. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

#4 brkaus, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    $1800 doesn't sound crazy, but it depends on so many factors.

On the rate, personally, I'd just pay $25/mo and be good with it. You will probably find some months you go over and some you go under.

There are a lot of metering options available. Search for ELectric watt hour meter. You can even buy the 4 terminal glass ones like used on a house if you want something that can't be messed with. I'm not sure it would be worth it.

5. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

You mean like this?

[​IMG]

This is an inexpensive refurb meter from Hialeah Meters and is an easy DIY project or it can be installed by any electrician.

Meter

Socket

• Informative x 1
  6. WARP 10

WARP 10 Member

$25 sounds like a bargain to me. My daughter's apt building has 3-4 chargers installed and charges a flat rate of $75/mo. I had a 14-50 put in my garage for $450, but it was right next to the panel so no conduit run. Also had a way to add a 50amp breaker to the existing 200amp panel, not always that easy.

7. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Yes, $25 / month is a bargain. My records show that I average $ 80 / month when at home and I do quite a lot of free ( still ) supercharging when away.

8. byan1232

byan1232 Member

Oh wow. Okay. Thanks for putting it into perspective guys. I live in Jersey City and I believe electricity rates are .08 per kWh but I could be mistaken.

The reason I've had a tesla so long (6 months?) but never thought about charging costs was because the old condo building (in Boston) I lived in during college had free EV charging.

Anyways thanks for the replies. I will talk to them about the $25 deal :D

9. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

In Queens, NY the rates are betweeen 25 and 30 cents a kWh, depending on the time of year.

10. auger

auger Member

If you're buying an EVSE to go with that plug and still want a meter, JuiceBoxes have a meter built in.

11. miimura

miimura Active Member

ChargePoint Home also has built-in metering.