Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity Usage Meter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My condominium finally approved EV owners to install a 240V outlet next to our deeded parking spot. They are currently charging us a $25 fixed monthly fee to charge on top of the installation/labor cost of the outlet.

That being said, I only drive the car during the weekends and definitely do not use $25 worth of KWH of electricity per month. My math is essentially 30-40KWH per week totaling 120-160KWH per month. At current rates of $0.08kwh it would be $9.60-$12.80 a month.

So my question is does anyone know of a usage meter that I can install in conjunction with the outlet to monitor how much KWH I actually used. That was I can be billed accordingly.

Thanks!

At current rates of $0.08kwh it would be $9.60-$12.80 a month.
Where in NYC are you paying $0.08/kwh? It's normally double or triple that for that area.

The management company told me it will cost $1800 to get a 240V outlet. Is it just me or does that sound ridiculous?
It depends on a lot of things. How far is the run? Does it need to be trenched? etc. etc. etc.

$1,800 is not out of the realm of possibility for a decent quote.

$1800 doesn't sound crazy, but it depends on so many factors.

On the rate, personally, I'd just pay $25/mo and be good with it. You will probably find some months you go over and some you go under.

There are a lot of metering options available. Search for ELectric watt hour meter. You can even buy the 4 terminal glass ones like used on a house if you want something that can't be messed with. I'm not sure it would be worth it.

Last edited:
...So my question is does anyone know of a usage meter that I can install in conjunction with the outlet to monitor how much KWH I actually used. That was I can be billed accordingly.

Thanks!
You mean like this?

31014466365_42e5880233_z.jpg

This is an inexpensive refurb meter from Hialeah Meters and is an easy DIY project or it can be installed by any electrician.

Meter

Socket

• Informative
Reactions: wesley888
$25 sounds like a bargain to me. My daughter's apt building has 3-4 chargers installed and charges a flat rate of $75/mo. I had a 14-50 put in my garage for $450, but it was right next to the panel so no conduit run. Also had a way to add a 50amp breaker to the existing 200amp panel, not always that easy.

Oh wow. Okay. Thanks for putting it into perspective guys. I live in Jersey City and I believe electricity rates are .08 per kWh but I could be mistaken.

The reason I've had a tesla so long (6 months?) but never thought about charging costs was because the old condo building (in Boston) I lived in during college had free EV charging.

Anyways thanks for the replies. I will talk to them about the $25 deal :D