Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electricity vs Gasoline for Evacuation...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
With all the gasoline shortages in Florida I thought it would be interesting to crunch some numbers...

I couldn't find any hard numbers for the vehicles leaving Florida but given the population ~3M would probably be on the high end. The primary reason for shortages is more than likely 'hoarding'...

Edited-Gas-Hoarder-1.png

Electricity has a HUGE leg up there... it's kinda hard to 'hoard'.

So how much electricity would it take to move ~3M EVs 500 miles? ~500GWh. FPL is capable of generating ~600GWh/day. The real trick would be ensuring that 3M people don't try to top up all at once...

Consider this: if you have to evacuate, you are likely to sit in traffic quite a bit. An EV uses almost no power while sitting in traffic (I verified this myself in a massive gridlock we had here during an ice storm). Gasoline cars run out of gas while sitting and idling. So, a fully charged EV may be better in this case (just avoid use of the cabin heater). Remember, plug that sucker in.

I suspect Florida's hurricane preparedness recommendations are similar to Texas's. Starting in the beginning of hurricane season - June - people are reminded and encouraged to stock up on supplies and keep their tanks full. Perhaps the preppers are vigilante about this. Many of us take the wait & see attitude. Many would drain their tank in a few days of normal to work driving.

Last time I evacuated, things went like this. Left south of Houston for a 220 mile trip to San Antonio. It took 16 hours and only the last hour and a half were capable of "highway" speed. And not because I wasn't on a highway. We used the 40 gallon tank of the Suburban to refuel the 12 gallon tank of the Mustang. Wife was in the Mustang with the little dogs and AC. I was in the Suburban with the big dog & no AC. Temps in the high 90's. I'd split a bottle of water with the dog. People died from heat stroke on the side of the road. The wife had blisters on her foot from working the clutch for hours on end. As it turned out, the hurricane didn't come anywhere close. Houston hasn't recommended evacuating because of the wind threat of hurricanes since.

Say you're evacuating Florida in the Tesla. You're supercharging. People are waiting for your stall. How much buffer and / or "hoard" do you charge to? Plan on waiting at the next supercharger. I not suggesting there even is a correct answer. Everyone's circumstances are different. Trying times for all. Good luck to everyone.

Evacuated on Monday due to one of the Northern California fires. Was woke up by neighbor pounding on the door at about 6am yelling, fire across the lake evacuate immediately. All power down so no lights, internet, water, etc. Grabbed some clothes and a few other items in the dark and took the ICE. I knew I could get gasoline but it would be tough to charge the Tesla since we don't have any superchargers within 50 miles. Also the power went down before the car was set to charge so it was low on charge. Have been allowed back in but are still under evacuation advisory. Gathered up a lot more items and are watching the situation (all depends on the wind). Will take the Expedition if we have to evacuate again. At this time it's just more flexible. Would also hope to have time to take my Cobra this time.

With all the gasoline shortages in Florida I thought it would be interesting to crunch some numbers...

I couldn't find any hard numbers for the vehicles leaving Florida but given the population ~3M would probably be on the high end. The primary reason for shortages is more than likely 'hoarding'...

Edited-Gas-Hoarder-1.png

Electricity has a HUGE leg up there... it's kinda hard to 'hoard'.

So how much electricity would it take to move ~3M EVs 500 miles? ~500GWh. FPL is capable of generating ~600GWh/day. The real trick would be ensuring that 3M people don't try to top up all at once...
just another example of cluelessness.

I suspect Florida's hurricane preparedness recommendations are similar to Texas's. Starting in the beginning of hurricane season - June - people are reminded and encouraged to stock up on supplies and keep their tanks full. Perhaps the preppers are vigilante about this. Many of us take the wait & see attitude. Many would drain their tank in a few days of normal to work driving.

Last time I evacuated, things went like this. Left south of Houston for a 220 mile trip to San Antonio. It took 16 hours and only the last hour and a half were capable of "highway" speed. And not because I wasn't on a highway. We used the 40 gallon tank of the Suburban to refuel the 12 gallon tank of the Mustang. Wife was in the Mustang with the little dogs and AC. I was in the Suburban with the big dog & no AC. Temps in the high 90's. I'd split a bottle of water with the dog. People died from heat stroke on the side of the road. The wife had blisters on her foot from working the clutch for hours on end. As it turned out, the hurricane didn't come anywhere close. Houston hasn't recommended evacuating because of the wind threat of hurricanes since.

Say you're evacuating Florida in the Tesla. You're supercharging. People are waiting for your stall. How much buffer and / or "hoard" do you charge to? Plan on waiting at the next supercharger. I not suggesting there even is a correct answer. Everyone's circumstances are different. Trying times for all. Good luck to everyone.
pure nonsense