TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Electrify America Chargers and CHAdeMO

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by Wennfred, Oct 12, 2019.

1. DougWantsALeaf

A see a number of Outlander checkins in the Chademos on my longer trips. The Tesla 3 usage of Chademos has started rising at the free locations in the area as well, though fewer have been visiting the Nissan dealership locations for their free charge.

thankfully our library instituted a charging fee now, so the 3’s have vanished from that location.

2. wildguess

wildguess Member

The nearest Supercharger is 6 miles away from my work and 10 miles away from my home while the closest EVgo charging stations with Chademo are under a mile. SO, I purchased an adapter from the Tesla online store. It should save me a lot of time. Most superchargers around have 2-3 broken stalls and the lines are at least 3-5 cars between 11 am and 3 pm. Do you know how much time the adapter delivery takes? Thank you.

3. JPWhite

JPWhite Member

I just look on with envy when I see YouTube videos that show most stations in Norway sport three cables per station. CCS, CHAdeMO and AC.

EVgo do support both CCS and CHAdeMO at some of their newer stations. Third parties wish to serve their customers. VW wish to promote CCS because it favors them.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

For the latter, you mean 75 kW?

5. wildguess

wildguess Member

The timeline is the following:

Oct 16 - Order placed
    Oct 17 - Label created
    Oct 20 - Picked up by FedEx
    Oct 23 - Scheduled delivery

6. ajdelange

ajdelange Banned

In the US CHAdeMO is pretty useless to TESLS drivers as the SC network is so good and quite a bit cheaper. When a tyro Tesla owner I used a CHAdeMO station in the US once out of an overabundance of caution WRT range.

But in Canada it is a different matter. There are places where SC are pretty thin but every fair sizes village seems to have a tourist information station with s CHAdeMO/CCS (one each) "fast" charger. Of course it wouldn't matter if we had a CCS adapter instead of a CHAdeMO adapter when driving in these areas and, in common with the others, I can't imaging any difficulty in producing a CCS to Tesla adapter.

7. wildguess

wildguess Member

Looks like you visit California very rarely. The Supercharger network there is huge, but charging most of the day is a nightmare. Several stalls are usually broken and/or reserved at busy SCs, there might be long lines and the electric grid is so loaded that a regular stall can charge your car at a rate lower than 20 kW / hr depending on the time of the day. That is at least 2-3 times slower than a Chademo station.

8. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Certainly try to avoid it. Come on--somebody had to say it.

• Like x 1
  9. wildguess

wildguess Member

Haha. At least I do my best to avoid some of the crappiest Californian Superchargers that happen to be the closest to my home and work and use the Fast DC Chademo chargers instead.

Here is a photo of the screen where you can see the charging speed at the Westfield Culver City mall Supercharger in early afternoon.
    At the second photo you will see that 4 of the stalls at the same station are not working.

20191018_121242.jpg

20191018_121005.jpg

10. andrewFW

andrewFW Member

As an EV enthusiast I'm happy that non-tesla cars are getting a network with enough locations to enable the long distance travel we're all used to. I hope it drives more converts to the EV lifestyle. I like that these light up green. Having EV chargers be very visible will help some people worry less about "but where will I charge it?" even though the answer for most people is "in your garage, while you sleep."

The supercharger anticipation/discussion threads are what drew me here (longtime lurker). Is there a place similar, but for EA chargers?