Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Chargers and CHAdeMO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A see a number of Outlander checkins in the Chademos on my longer trips. The Tesla 3 usage of Chademos has started rising at the free locations in the area as well, though fewer have been visiting the Nissan dealership locations for their free charge.

thankfully our library instituted a charging fee now, so the 3’s have vanished from that location.

• Disagree
Reactions: ElectricIAC
The nearest Supercharger is 6 miles away from my work and 10 miles away from my home while the closest EVgo charging stations with Chademo are under a mile. SO, I purchased an adapter from the Tesla online store. It should save me a lot of time. Most superchargers around have 2-3 broken stalls and the lines are at least 3-5 cars between 11 am and 3 pm. Do you know how much time the adapter delivery takes? Thank you.

I just look on with envy when I see YouTube videos that show most stations in Norway sport three cables per station. CCS, CHAdeMO and AC.

EVgo do support both CCS and CHAdeMO at some of their newer stations. Third parties wish to serve their customers. VW wish to promote CCS because it favors them.

The nearest Supercharger is 6 miles away from my work and 10 miles away from my home while the closest EVgo charging stations with Chademo are under a mile. SO, I purchased an adapter from the Tesla online store. It should save me a lot of time. Most superchargers around have 2-3 broken stalls and the lines are at least 3-5 cars between 11 am and 3 pm. Do you know how much time the adapter delivery takes? Thank you.

The timeline is the following:

Oct 16 - Order placed
Oct 17 - Label created
Oct 20 - Picked up by FedEx
Oct 23 - Scheduled delivery

In the US CHAdeMO is pretty useless to TESLS drivers as the SC network is so good and quite a bit cheaper. When a tyro Tesla owner I used a CHAdeMO station in the US once out of an overabundance of caution WRT range.

But in Canada it is a different matter. There are places where SC are pretty thin but every fair sizes village seems to have a tourist information station with s CHAdeMO/CCS (one each) "fast" charger. Of course it wouldn't matter if we had a CCS adapter instead of a CHAdeMO adapter when driving in these areas and, in common with the others, I can't imaging any difficulty in producing a CCS to Tesla adapter.

In the US CHAdeMO is pretty useless to TESLS drivers as the SC network is so good and quite a bit cheaper. When a tyro Tesla owner I used a CHAdeMO station in the US once out of an overabundance of caution WRT range.

But in Canada it is a different matter. There are places where SC are pretty thin but every fair sizes village seems to have a tourist information station with s CHAdeMO/CCS (one each) "fast" charger. Of course it wouldn't matter if we had a CCS adapter instead of a CHAdeMO adapter when driving in these areas and, in common with the others, I can't imaging any difficulty in producing a CCS to Tesla adapter.
Looks like you visit California very rarely. The Supercharger network there is huge, but charging most of the day is a nightmare. Several stalls are usually broken and/or reserved at busy SCs, there might be long lines and the electric grid is so loaded that a regular stall can charge your car at a rate lower than 20 kW / hr depending on the time of the day. That is at least 2-3 times slower than a Chademo station.

Certainly try to avoid it. Come on--somebody had to say it.
Haha. At least I do my best to avoid some of the crappiest Californian Superchargers that happen to be the closest to my home and work and use the Fast DC Chademo chargers instead.

Here is a photo of the screen where you can see the charging speed at the Westfield Culver City mall Supercharger in early afternoon.
At the second photo you will see that 4 of the stalls at the same station are not working.

20191018_121242.jpg

20191018_121005.jpg

As an EV enthusiast I'm happy that non-tesla cars are getting a network with enough locations to enable the long distance travel we're all used to. I hope it drives more converts to the EV lifestyle. I like that these light up green. Having EV chargers be very visible will help some people worry less about "but where will I charge it?" even though the answer for most people is "in your garage, while you sleep."

The supercharger anticipation/discussion threads are what drew me here (longtime lurker). Is there a place similar, but for EA chargers?

what's the fastest charge anyone got on their CHADEMO on an EA station? best i could get on my 18' MX 75D was 34kW on two different stations.

I've successfully used EA stations three times with my Model 3 LR RWD and Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter:
  • The first was a test session at a local EA station in Providence, RI. The car's SoC began at 69% and ended at 85%. The charge rate began at 44kW and ramped down to 32kW.
  • The second time was on a road trip, at a station in Mansfield Ohio. The car's SoC began at 31% and ended at 73%. The charge rate began at 42kW and ramped up slightly to about 45kW.
  • The third time was at the same station in Ohio on the return leg of that road trip. The car's SoC began at 47% and ended at 80%, with the charge rate beginning at 37kW and ending at 46kW. For the first minute or so, the car seemed to be pumping power into heating the battery.
All these data come from TeslaFi. As I understand it, the theoretical limit from Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is 50kW, but of course it's likely to be slightly lower than that in the real world. I've gotten maximum rates in the 30-35kW range on a couple of EVgo CHAdeMO stations, and in the 40s on some operated by the State of New York on the New York Thruway.

In addition to these successful charge sessions, I was unable to use an EA station in Waterloo, NY -- the car and station would handshake, the car would report that charging was beginning, and about one or two seconds later it would error out. I reported this to EA, but their tech support was unable to get it working. Note that EA is using four different brands of DC fast charger. I didn't look for manufacturers' identifiers on any of the three stations I've tried to use, but the one that failed and the working unit in Provides both had their charge plugs holstered on the sides of the unit, whereas the one in Ohio holstered them in the front of the charge unit. (I just double-checked this using photos on PlugShare.) It's entirely plausible that one or another of the brands that EA is using work better or worse than the others with Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter. I've also heard of defective adapters that fail with some or all CHAdeMO stations.