Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America compared to Tesla SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Help me understand why I would ever use an Electrify America Charging station baring an emergency?

Follows is a Tesla Supercharger session cost break down. i think the rates are now 13/26 cents so I will use the new rates.

Power Tier 1 20 min @ $0.11/min$2.20 new rates .13 X 20 = $2.60
Power Tier 2 22 min @ $0.22/min$4.84 new rates .26 X 22 = $5.72
For a total of $7.04 Total $8.32

Electrify America comparison below

If CSS adapter where available (maybe never) the current cost to charge with Electrify America would be:

Since the M3 would be capable of CSS charging at 125KW, even if it never charged above the 75KWH tier, the per minute charge would be $0.58 cents/minute plus the $1 session fee. Like I said the M3 can not now or may never be able to charge using a CSS charging station in the US.

44 min x 0.58 = $25.52 + $1 + approx 7.5% tax $28.51

The Tesla cost $8.32 compared to EA cost of $28.51. So the EA costs would be more than buying gas!

It is my understanding there is only ONE Chamado charging cable that charges up to $50KW. I assume that rate would be 15 Cents/minute plus session fee +Tax and not 58 cents per minute? Also, Tesla does NOT currently sell a Chamado adapter, who knows if they ever will.

Same goes for the J1772. I assume the EA rate would be 3 cents/min plus Session Fee + tax? And not 58 cents/minute? Has anyone charged there Tesla at a EA charging station using the J1772 Tesla provided adapter? What was the cost breakdown?

I could be wrong on some of the above, so thanks for any enlightenment in Advance!
Regards

Just like gas stations, if there’s one where you NEED one, it doesn’t really matter what it costs. You’ll pay.

As for direct comparison between EA and the Supercharger network, your comparison is of course accurate and obvious. Tesla and EA have very different objectives at the moment - Tesla’s network is intended to add value to and promote the sale of Tesla vehicles. EA’s objective is to make money on charging (and fulfill their legal obligation RE dieselgate, but I digress).

Reactions: Ande and ReddykwRun
Just like gas stations, if there’s one where you NEED one, it doesn’t really matter what it costs. You’ll pay.

As for direct comparison between EA and the Supercharger network, your comparison is of course accurate and obvious. Tesla and EA have very different objectives at the moment - Tesla’s network is intended to add value to and promote the sale of Tesla vehicles. EA’s objective is to make money on charging (and fulfill their legal obligation RE dieselgate, but I digress).
I agree with all of your responses, just wanted to make sure I understood the cost differences correctly.

Thanks for your reply!

Reactions: ucmndd