Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Complementary Session Check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think they are doing it on purpose. It started because of a system update. And given it has been more than three weeks my guess is that upgrade failed spectacularly.
I wonder if its a rolling thing.

I've been charging my Rivian a lot since memorial day when I first noticed the complimentary charging, but some locations stopped being free.

For example I was charged at the Sutherlin Oregon location on 09/22/2022

The only issue with the rolling theory is the Tigard Oregon location has been free for what seems like weeks. So it might be a case where the unfree chargers are simply locations where they didn't even attempt the upgrade.

One thing I've learned from my Rivian experience is the EA reliability is spectacularly bad. Like in Bend Oregon one 1 stall out of 4 was working. It was free, but that just made it worse.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
Don't count on EA continuing the free charging very long now that all these thousands of Teslas this week can suddenly use the free charging.

Luckily thousands of Tesla's don't have the necessary adapter.

The ones with the adapter sure are taking advantage of it.

At the Tigard location I've noticed the same white Model 3 charging there the last 2 times I was there. The first time I didn't think anything of it, and they left soon after I got there. The second time I noticed they were charging to 100%.

Reactions: Luvtoride
I like OP clear format so I will follow:

Date
: Sep 26, 2022
Time: 2:30 PM
Site: Garden State Plaza Shopping Center
Complimentary Session all stalls

I used my new CCS adapter which had just arrived from Hanshow yesterday (yes, I know I paid more than Tesla is now charging) and it worked fine. I was talking to another Tesla owner there who had just received the CCS adapter from Tesla (ordered it Friday and arrived Monday) and his worked fine and was a free session as well.
I just received my 2nd adapter from Hanshow today for my M3LR. I came back here tonight at 9:45pm to try the adapter and the session is still free. Charging at 57 Kwh speed. New hobby, LOL 😂
A7A9202F-0735-4014-8441-5DF6773C8D59.jpeg

it's interesting that it seems to come and go, just charged at the EA station on saratoga ave in Saratoga that I see Randy marked as not free on plugshare but charger #1 was free for me

The only DCFC in Saratoga on Saratoga Ave is the Chargepoint at the library. The one you are referring to is in San Jose - in the same parking lot as the upcoming new Supercharger site.

Wish I'd known it was free. I saw Randy's note on plugshare, and haven't bothered to try it.

Road trip Dallas-Houston-Galveston and back was partially free over this weekend. Thanks for EA ))
Came to the station with 18% SOC and the charge speed was up to 170kwh. While shopping at Walmart, the car charged to 80% and continued the trip.

Does anyone know how long these plan to be free? Going on a road trip in 2 weeks and already plan to just use EA for most of my charging instead of Tesla (in all cases, they are near each other so I can go to a SC if the EA is not working)…just because EA is in most cases cheaper.

Please note the station name as seen in PlugShare to make the postings useful to others, but don't avoid posting just because you didn't get the name, thank you.
I agree but sometimes posters may want to be intentionally vague for privacy reasons. A +1 or -1 with a vague general area can be still more helpful than nothing.
Does anyone know how long these plan to be free? Going on a road trip in 2 weeks and already plan to just use EA for most of my charging instead of Tesla (in all cases, they are near each other so I can go to a SC if the EA is not working)…just because EA is in most cases cheaper.
No idea. This has been going on since at least Sept 7th (the dates the updates began per the former message). I personally didn't think it'd go longer than a weekend but it's nearing a month now.

My suggestion is to assume it won't be free when you go on your trip so that your expectations are low. If they're still free, it's gravy.

Reactions: DrGriz
I have a Rivian so I have to use an EA network, but if I didn't I'm not sure I'd charge at an EA network even if it was free.

There are numerous problems with EA chargers

For starters they usually average at least 1 stall being broken. In fact in Bend Oregon only 1 out of 4 were working.

Then you have the issue where most customers don't understand the difference between a 150KW stall and a 350KW stall. So they'll take up a 350KW stall even if there car is only capable of 150KW or less. Or you'll have people showing up with more than 50% SOC where they won't realize it won't get close to 150KW let alone anything higher.

It's great to see Tesla's being able to charge at EA chargers because I feel like it will put additional pressure on EA to fix the situation. But, it would be pretty bad if a Tesla charged at a location with one working stall when there were 12+ Tesla supercharger stalls right near by.

It is fun seeing a Tesla at a site like Tigard Oregon where there are 8 chargers with a typical site usage of about 25% (based on what I feel is average when I pull in to charge).

Reactions: Luvtoride