Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Complementary Session Check-in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone gotten the EA Apple Wallet card to work? It always tells me “reader is requesting payment”. Was a PIA in Baker, CA where Verizon had no cell service.
I haven’t used it much, but when I did I manually selected the virtual card in the wallet app before tapping the radio logo on the charger for the near field reader. I think I had to do this because there is an optional setting disabled that allows the wallet app to automatically choose which virtual card to use.

I've been trying to get a non-complimentary session at a local EA charger since buying the CCS adapter so I can test to make sure my account works properly, but every time I go it's free!

What's funny is it's actually changed my charging behavior, I used to always plug in at home to be at 80%, now I try to run it down to make it worth it to go to the EA charger.

Date: Oct 1, 2022
Time: 5:50 PM
Site: Fred Meyer (Glisan)
Status: Complementary Session at 03, unknown about rest of stalls.

Date: Oct 8, 2022
Time: 6:30 PM
Site: Fred Meyer (Glisan)
Status: Complementary Session at 03, unknown about rest of stalls.

Still free today:
Date: Oct 22, 2022
Time: 11:30 AM
Site: Valley Fair Mall
Status: Complementary Session, all stalls looked to be free

No longer free:
Date: Oct 22, 2022
Time: 11:00 AM
Site: Plaza Shopping Center (Saratoga Ave)

Has anyone gotten the EA Apple Wallet card to work? It always tells me “reader is requesting payment”. Was a PIA in Baker, CA where Verizon had no cell service.
I also had the same issue. The trick is, that you have to put your phone not to the card reader, you need to put it to the station itself, just below the card reader there is a sign with "waves". Very confusing dumb design.

• Helpful
Reactions: israndy
Trip from Dallas to Gran Canyon
Free EA charing were in:
- Santa Rosa, NM
- Gallup, NM

The other stops at Winslow AZ and Williams AZ were not free.
In Williams AZ it’s the ONLY charger available for entire city. No level 2 chargers or any other options to charge. I met one lady at 2019 Model 3 trying to figure out how to get a charging, I wanted to help but unfortunately her Model 3 does not support CCS adapter.

On my way back, Gallup NM was no longer free. But Santa Rosa NM was still free.

• Informative
Reactions: israndy
I think the whole free charging thing might not be over, I took a little road trip last night and EVERY EA station that I stopped at had stations 1 & 6 set to complimentary, except two.

Pinole (Hilltop Plaza | PlugShare)
Hercules (Lucky | PlugShare)
Sacramento (Target | PlugShare)
Elk Grove (Walmart | PlugShare)
And of course:
Alameda (Target | PlugShare)

Nut Tree and Stockton didn't have free charging, and if 1 or 6 was out of order another stall would be free or if there were not 6 it would be 1 & 4 or if there were not 4 than only one of them would be free, but it seemed pretty much like free charging is still a thing.

Yet a LOT of people were plugging in (including a Lucid) at pay-for stations. Come on people look before you plug. Perhaps those ones have free charging for the first 3 years with their car's purchase so they don't care yet, but starting good habits saves you in the long run.

Date: Oct 29, 2022
Time: 4:00 PM EDT
Site: Walmart
Notes:   Stall 4 was stuckcounting up the previous sessions idle time (377 minutes!) While I was on hold with EA, I moved to stall 2 and got it to charge by swiping a credit card. Bolt owner pulled up and said stall 3 had been complimentary just yesterday, but while I was on the phone with EA, he walked away before I could ask him whether his session today started complimentary. Stall 1 would not start for a woman in an ID.4, but by then EA agent had reset stall 4, and the ID.4 moved to stall 4 and was able to charge by paying.

So, 3 of the 4 stalls were definitely not complimentary. Not sure about the remaining one.

Interesting that some locations would only have particular stalls be free. I never really thought to check each stall, usually only the the adjacent stall when I pulled in. I'll have to double check my usual locations I stop by.

A few weeks ago, I was at an EA location where I couldn't get either handle to activate, so I switched stalls. While I was sitting in my car, I saw a Mach-E pull in, and they were able to charge on the stall that I couldn't activate.

At this particular location I didn't actually check if it was marked as available or not, as I was going for free juice. But I saw the lady in the mach-e fumbling with her credit card, so I think she probably tapped her credit card.