Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By no means an expert, I'm under the impression that even 4 stall EA locations have two 350 kW and two 150 kW, for a total of 1 MW power.
Nope. Even the 4) 350kW stall EA sites normally only have a ~750kW transformer. They are paired stalls, where 350kW is shared between two stalls. (They called it "balanced".) They don't have a dedicated 350kW available per 350kW stall.

But that specific point was about EA only having a lease for 4 parking spots, and Tesla would likely want to put in a minimum of 8 stalls, so would need a new lease anyhow.

Reactions: kayak1
Nope. Even the 4) 350kW stall EA sites normally only have a ~750kW transformer. They are paired stalls, where 350kW is shared between two stalls. (They called it "balanced".) They don't have a dedicated 350kW available per 350kW stall.

But that specific point was about EA only having a lease for 4 parking spots, and Tesla would likely want to put in a minimum of 8 stalls, so would need a new lease anyhow.
That would trigger the requirements for new building permits, planning board approvals etc.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Most 8-stall V3 around my area are serviced by 750kva transformers.
Former electric company employee DFW here. We typically load transformers to 130% nameplate in the summer and 160% winter. Besides, the transformer is really heavy and so takes a long time to heat up. Since EV's only use the max charge power for ~10 minutes or so, it's not a big deal. We also used readings from the meters connected to the transformer to be able to tell when the transformer is overloaded.

By no means an expert, I'm under the impression that even 4 stall EA locations have two 350 kW and two 150 kW, for a total of 1 MW power. I'm pretty sure Tesla can figure out a use for that power. Perhaps 72 kW destination chargers for people without L2 at home
Most 4-stall EA I've been at are 150 350 350 150. But Kittery, ME is 4 x 150. (I was charging at #2 in Kittery, and offered to swap with a waiting EV6 when #4 became available, but then realized it was all 150). 4 stalls, 8 cables no power sharing is so frustrating.

Reactions: kayak1