TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by minderbinder, Oct 29, 2018.

1. ALSET YXES

ALSET YXES Member

#301 ALSET YXES, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    You can still have viable and it not be a profit center... Not recommendable but the point should have been to make VW pay a substantial to prevent there shitty stratuga

Wow!!!

I love how weak-ass people like to you like to make civil discussions personal.

Instead, you could have actually use your brain to process and analyze what you read. You on the other-hand, appear to be a part of the general population who believes that everything written down is either "the truth" or "the right thing to do" . You Sir! Are nothing but a sheep who follows and agrees with anything an "authority figure" dishes out to you.

The DOJ's actions were meant to inflect punitive damages for VW. (To the original posters point) No one disagrees that the push to make VW provide universal public EV charging is a good thing. The issue that was pointed out by the the original poster and I was that there should have been restrictions on VW profiting on EV Charging. This would have been very simple and legal including legal language with percentage of profits diverted to say environment improvements (other than what was already included), time limitations on profit diversions, caps on how much profit could be diverted, not allowing any tax write offs associated with VW's Electrify America and quarterly audits to ensure VW was not gaming to system yet again.

Instead VW will overtime have a very large profit center in EV charging infrastructure and will be able to recoup all their capital investments including all costs associated with the DOJ's actions. Thus overtime VW will have affectively paid "ZERO" in punitive damages.

@tomc603 You Sir, are very short sighted and thoughtless.

Cheers & Charge On!

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

You seem to have missed that the $2B investment in Electrify America is only a minor part of the settlement, which totals almost $15B. Most of it went to vehicle buy-backs and funding "mitigation" trust-funds which are managed (and in some cases mismanaged) by state governments. They also paid a civil penalty. Besides, I doubt that VW is interested in running charger infrastructure in the long run (otherwise they would have done the same in Europe instead of joining a consortium).

• Like x 2
  3. miimura

miimura Active Member

Since you haven't stated your point clearly, I have to assume that you feel that the fees charged by Electrify America are exorbitantly high and will therefore generate large profits for them. I would like to see some figures to back up that assertion. Their fees are completely in-line with others in the industry and none of the competitors generate significant profits, if any. I suspect that you have no idea how much charging networks have to pay for electricity for a DC Fast Charging site. Please prove me wrong and give some estimates for how much profit you expect them to make over the first 5 or 10 years. I suggest that you start by reading the settlement and familiarize yourself with what a Creditable Cost is.

4. tomc603

tomc603 Member

You don't know anything about my ass.

Used. Use is the present tense, used is the past tense.

Not at all. You're grasping at straws here, and it's not a good look.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA gasp HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Friend. You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Hah. Oh man. It's been a long time since someone said something that funny.

Literally nobody's disputing this.

Great. Then don't bring it up. It's not part of our disagreement.

• Disagree x 1
  5. tomc603

tomc603 Member

Look. He's not a details kind of guy. As in, he doesn't know the details. Why hold him to facts and figures when feelings work just as well?

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  6. ALSET YXES

ALSET YXES Member

Ah there you go again... Details? Did you actual read my reply? Or did you just get all pissed off at me calling you out. Learn to read and comprehend... Snowflake!

• Funny x 1
  7. tomc603

tomc603 Member

Since I quoted and replied to nearly every paragraph, it should have been obvious that I read it. Buuuuuut again, you don't seem like a details kind of person.

8. Araman0

Araman0 Member

Fellas, please take this discussion offline. Let's get back to informative discussion on the EA network please.

• Like x 1
  9. tomc603

tomc603 Member

Have there been any new EA locations deployed in the past month? Their site is acting up for me.

10. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Retro-themed EV promotion web page (even featuring a Tesla floating in space):

Normal Now

• Like x 1
  11. Araman0

Araman0 Member

Here in the Seattle area a couple of stations seem to be 99% finished, but have stalled out seemingly for months for some reason. Not sure if anyone else is seeing the same thing in their corner of the country.

12. ralph142

ralph142 Member

To paraphrase others in the supercharger threads, ‘ this obviously reeks of half assed management and poor costumer service’.

• Like x 1
  13. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Active Member

I was surprised to discover that there was already an EA site here in Yuma, Arizona. I ran by after work to take a look. It's in a Target parking lot.

7 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

14. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Same thing here in California. If you read their latest quarterly report to CARB they have some complaints about permit processes in CA, which are apparently much slower than in other states. They did open a few locations in southern CA though in the past few weeks.

There may also be problems with the utilities in some areas. For example, there is a location at the Great Mall in Milpitas where both EA chargers and Tesla superchargers have been completed and sitting for months now without being connected to the grid.

• Informative x 1
  15. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.32.2.2

7 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO...but really only one cable can be used at a time per pedestal. Only 4 cars can charge there simultaneously.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. ralph142

ralph142 Member

The two cables in a cabinet can’t be used simultaneously? They are labeled separately. How bizarre.

17. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.32.2.2

Nope. Only one cable per stall can be used at a time. Count the parking spaces and you'll see each space has one pedestal. They put two cables so that it will work whether the car has the charge port on the left or right side. Seems to me they could just have one retractable cable as other companies have done. I guess this way, it looks like they have 8 charging stations but there are really only 4 there.

• Like x 1
  18. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Remember that the cables required for 150kW+ charging are much thicker, heavier and less flexible then lower-power cables. I have not seen any DC chargers with that kind of power that use retractable cables. Some EVGo chargers have them, but they usually only provide 50kW.

19. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Active Member

So I guess I should have said:

3 CCS
    1 CCS/CHAdeMO

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  20. Brovane

Brovane Member

A couple of weeks ago I was at Ontario Mills Outlet stores in CA. They had a Electrify America charging station. Great location far-out in the parking lot to minimize any ICE issues. All the stations look to be installed and it seemed like somebody just needs to turn them on. Checking the Application it still doesn't show this site as online.