Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who want them to stop screwing CHAdeMO users (only 50 kW and 1 plug vs. many CCS), you can speak up there.
As a LEAF and Tesla owner, I say kill CHAdeMO yesterday.
Agree. I want CHAdeMO to go away also. CCS is the much better solution between those two. Obviously they are both big and bulky. But CCS is better in that it lets the one large port on the car multi-task for both AC charging and DC charging. With CHAdeMO, you have to have that big bulky port just for the DC charging, plus an extra, slightly smaller port next to it for the AC charging.

Agree. I want CHAdeMO to go away also. CCS is the much better solution between those two. Obviously they are both big and bulky. But CCS is better in that it lets the one large port on the car multi-task for both AC charging and DC charging. With CHAdeMO, you have to have that big bulky port just for the DC charging, plus an extra, slightly smaller port next to it for the AC charging.
When I tried to use the Chademo plug with the Tesla adapter at an EA station, the entire assembly was so heavy and unwieldy that I was thinking that there is no way that a good portion of the population would even be able to get this monstrosity connected.

^^
There is a small chance that the next gen CHAdeMO-GB/T will be a superior technology that could catch on. It is supposed to be backwards compatible with CHAdeMO, and adapter compatible with CCS. I'm not sure if a Tesla adapter is possible. The plug looks ~ Tesla plug size by photos and it supports high voltage and current.
I don't think Nissan can strand their existing users and still survive. Since there is a CCS adapter in Europe, while the North American standards are different enough so they are not compatible, I don't believe there is any technical reason Tesla couldn't make an adapter if they have a mind to. I recall how long it took Tesla to come up with a CHAdeMO adapter (and all the angst that went with it).

Reactions: APotatoGod
I don't think Nissan can strand their existing users and still survive. Since there is a CCS adapter in Europe, while the North American standards are different enough so they are not compatible, I don't believe there is any technical reason Tesla couldn't make an adapter if they have a mind to. I recall how long it took Tesla to come up with a CHAdeMO adapter (and all the angst that went with it).
I'm not sure Nissan survives, let alone its EV program but going it alone as a CHAdeMO vehicle is really suspect. European Nissan EV marketshare is coming apart at the seams and I have not seen any indication of willingness by NIssan to produce CCS LEAFS for some markets and CHAdeMO LEAFS for others.

Anyway .. here is a good summary article of the upcoming CHaoJi plug
CHAdeMO and China release new EV quick-charging standard, in a bid to leapfrog the industry - Electrek

The EA network:

Attachments

• EA usa map good june 2020.jpg
    EA usa map good june 2020.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 86
I would be surprised if someone hasn't done it already. However, there may be some asterisks like not 100% on 150kW+ DCFC or not 100% on EA network. The recent gaps in the network weren't that big.
All on the route are EA 150-350kW chargers. This is their standard they build by. By the end of 2021, Electrify America plans to install or have under development approximately 800 total charging stations with about 3,500 DC fast-chargers.

I would be surprised if someone hasn't done it already. However, there may be some asterisks like not 100% on 150kW+ DCFC or not 100% on EA network. The recent gaps in the network weren't that big.

A fellow recently drove his Taycan east to west across Canada, down into the States, and back to the east coast. He has threads on the trip on a couple of the Porsche forums. He didn't exclusively use EA (or EC in Canada) though.

Not totally accurate headlines: Now both Hyundai and Kia EV drivers get the flat 35 cent rate by registering their VIN with Electrify America. In March, Electrify America had already made the same rate available to Hyundai EV drivers. Mike Moran, an Electrify America spokesperson, told Electrek that about half of US states do not allow charging to be priced by the kilowatt-hour — which is a more accurate way for EV drivers to pay for the electrical charge they receive. Moran also said that Electrify America would comply with new rules in California that ban unfair by-the-minute fees announced in December 2019. These rules prohibit operators of electric vehicle charging stations from billing by the minute at new 240-volt stations from 2021 and new DCFC stations 2023 onwards.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I am getting really confused at why I have now gotten 3 "Funny" responses on my comment that points out the better convenience of CCS by combining AC and DC charging into one port, which is much better than CHAdeMO.
Sorry - couldn’t resist adding a “funny”. No idea why that would be funny. I do my forums reading on an iPad, and it can be tough to click the funny button. The first time I clicked the disagree accidentally. Maybe the funnies were actually supposed to be disagrees?

Is it me or does charging at EA have a high fail rate? My Bolt would always fail to start charging and it would take multiple starts and resets to get it to start charging. On my last road trip with my M3P I was unable to get two different EA stations to charge with the adapter. Just like the Bolt it would fail to start or start and immediately interrupt. With other brands like EVGo or ChargePoint the adapter worked perfectly. Fortunately for the failed EA stations I had just enough charge to limp it to a supercharger but it sucks that it is one less choice of charging.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx