Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still the best charging option available... Harvard Business Review: Tesla Superchargers leave competitors 'in the dust"

"According to the authors, "The reason why consumers still choose Teslas over products like Audi’s eTron or attractive EVs from GM’s Buick, Cadillac, GMC, and Chevy brands is perhaps surprisingly simple. They can drive their Teslas for long distances in full confidence that they will find convenient locations at which to recharge their vehicle. While the incumbent automakers are still focused narrowly on perfecting their electric cars, Tesla has been thinking about the entire vehicle system, with the aim of solving consumers’ core driving needs."

In contrast, looking at the options for legacy automakers, "the network of available [non-Tesla] charging stations is highly fractured across ownership and technology. The next largest network, compared to Tesla, is only 10% as large. Unless you buy a Tesla, you have few options for reliable route planning, guaranteed access, and rapid public charging."

This is where you have to give Elon high praise, not only did he design and manufacture at nice looking BEV from the ground up, he looked into why people would not buy them and installed Tesla superchargers through out the world. So far no other car manufacturer has done this even though they are marketing and manufacturing all electric vehicles.

This is where you have to give Elon high praise, not only did he design and manufacture at nice looking BEV from the ground up, he looked into why people would not buy them and installed Tesla superchargers through out the world. So far no other car manufacturer has done this even though they are marketing and manufacturing all electric vehicles.
I generally agree with this. Tesla is the only company to deploy its own widespread network. Although, it’s true that Ionity in Europe is a consortium of several non-Tesla automakers. In the U.S. those car companies are instead relying on VW’s Electrify America court settlement.

Code:
https://www.plugshare.com/location/244754
in Oneonta, NY 13820 was called out in Electrify America Network - Page 150 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

Oddly, (per EA's app), it has TWO CHAdeMO (on TWO different chargers, yay) and 6 CCS. And, allegedly, the CHAdeMO handles are capable of up to 100 kW.

This is quite a deviation from their usual crippling CHAdeMO to 50 kW and only installing 1 CHAdeMO and 5 to 7 CCS at each site...

Reactions: Araman0
Code:
https://www.plugshare.com/location/244754
in Oneonta, NY 13820 was called out in Electrify America Network - Page 150 - My Nissan Leaf Forum.

Oddly, (per EA's app), it has TWO CHAdeMO (on TWO different chargers, yay) and 6 CCS. And, allegedly, the CHAdeMO handles are capable of up to 100 kW.

This is quite a deviation from their usual crippling CHAdeMO to 50 kW and only installing 1 CHAdeMO and 5 to 7 CCS at each site...
The EA app shows that this site is associated with the EVolveNY charger network. So, that is probably why it has better CHAdeMO support than other EA sites.

NYPA's EVolve NY opens first of many 350kW charging stations that will blanket the state - Electrek

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff N and cwerdna
The EA app shows that this site is associated with the EVolveNY charger network. So, that is probably why it has better CHAdeMO support than other EA sites.

NYPA's EVolve NY opens first of many 350kW charging stations that will blanket the state - Electrek
Wow! TIL.

That also might be related to why it's "only" 35 cents per kWh in NY per Pricing and Plans for EV Charging | Electrify America (above article refers to that rate) whereas most of the rest of the US on EA that's on per kWh billing get screwed with 43 cents/kWh for guests/Pass users.

Interesting reading about the state of charging infrastructure in the USA.

Arizona, California, Hawaii, New Jersey, and Washington have the lowest number of charging outlets per 1,000 EVs.:(

1617732970469.png

Interesting reading about the state of charging infrastructure in the USA.

Arizona, California, Hawaii, New Jersey, and Washington have the lowest number of charging outlets per 1,000 EVs.:(
This is a tad misleading since most EV charging is done (and is best done) at home or at work and they don't count those stations. Also, if one counts 120v outlets (which will work for many people) the number of charging stations far exceeds the number of EVs.
We do need more DCFCs along the highways though, and, in the near term, available for those who's apartments or condos don't yet have charging.

WA was alone in 5th place for a few days. But a new one opened in NJ a couple days ago and Bellevue is no longer operational so it’s already slid back to 6th. And as MH points out, WA will surely drop in the rankings as there is nothing in permitting or construction phase at this time (unless you count Bellevue 😂).

Reactions: DSolie
This is a tad misleading since most EV charging is done (and is best done) at home or at work and they 0don't count those stations. Also, if one counts 120v outlets (which will work for many people) the number of charging stations far exceeds the number of EVs.
We do need more DCFCs along the highways though, and, in the near term, available for those who's apartments or condos don't yet have charging.

The problem is the grid support (currently at 30%, I believe) not the number of outlets.

Many apartments have chargers and others are updating. At my apartment, I have a 120V in my private garage, with a few Level-2 chargers outside which is almost always available... all free!

Since I posted my remarks about Tesla as the only BEV to have superchargers, Rivian has said they will also have superchargers exclusive to Rivian.
Huh? Rivian is also calling them superchargers? If not, please avoid using that term to talk about DC fast charging/chargers for non-Teslas. It can create a lot of confusion, esp. to those who don't know much/anything about EVs.

Huh? Rivian is also calling them superchargers? If not, please avoid using that term to talk about DC fast charging/chargers for non-Teslas. It can create a lot of confusion, esp. to those who don't know much/anything about EVs.
Not sure what the problem is here, Rivian will have DC fast chargers that will give you 140 miles in 20 minutes. This is very close to the Tesla Superchargers, so to me compared to everything else out their they are supercharges.