Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, the app and the new tiered pricing information are now available. Unfortunately it's expensive, even with the $4 monthly "Pass+" subscription. The tiers are for charge powers up to 75kW/125kW/150kW respectively. I looked up the rates for California and Texas:

California:
Without Pass+: $0.25/0.69/0.99 per minute
With Pass+: $0.18/0.50/0.70 per minute

Texas:
Without Pass+: $0.21/0.58/0.89 per minute
With Pass+: $0.15/$0.42/$0.60 per minute

At those prices it would at best be an emergency option for Tesla drivers with a potential CCS adapter IMO. Too bad.

So, the app and the new tiered pricing information are now available. Unfortunately it's expensive, even with the $4 monthly "Pass+" subscription. The tiers are for charge powers up to 75kW/125kW/150kW respectively. I looked up the rates for California and Texas:

California:

Texas:

At those prices it's at best an emergency option for Tesla drivers IMO. Too bad.

Yeesh, per kwh ? minute ?

Yeesh, per kwh ? minute ?
It's right in the post. ;)

Made some quick plots comparing the EA prices with Supercharger prices, all converted to $/kWh depending on the charge power. For the superchargers I used the rates from Tesla's web site ($0.28/kWh, $0.13/0.26 per minute in states with per-minute charging). If you stay between 50 and 75kW it's actually not bad (good for owners of the Tesla Chademo adapter, I guess).

untitled1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

It gets worse. Just noticed this on their web page:

If your car tells the charger that it can accept a maximum charging power of 95kW, for example, it is placed in the “1-125kW” power level.

The power level set at the start of your session determines the per-minute price, which stays the same throughout the session.

So each car will be charged based on the maximum power they can accept, not at what power you actually charge ...

It gets worse. Just noticed this on their web page:

So each car will be charged based on the maximum power they can accept, not at what power you actually charge ...
It is not reasonable to charge based on what the car can take if the charger never actually delivers that. However, it seems that if you do actually exceed 75kW for 2 minutes, they will charge you the higher rate for the entire session, which is plenty bad enough. Depending on how long you need to charge, you should disconnect to stop the higher price and pay the session fee again to get enough charge to make it to your destination or the next charging stop.

It is not reasonable to charge based on what the car can take if the charger never actually delivers that. However, it seems that if you do actually exceed 75kW for 2 minutes, they will charge you the higher rate for the entire session, which is plenty bad enough. Depending on how long you need to charge, you should disconnect to stop the higher price and pay the session fee again to get enough charge to make it to your destination or the next charging stop.
On their web site it sounds like the car tells the charger the maximum power it can accept during the initial handshake before the session starts. If that's the case, you'll be placed in that tier even if you never reach the maximum (if you're in a SoC where the taper has started).

On their web site it sounds like the car tells the charger the maximum power it can accept during the initial handshake before the session starts. If that's the case, you'll be placed in that tier even if you never reach the maximum (if you're in a SoC where the taper has started).
If the car SOC is in the taper region, it will tell the charger the charging current it wants based on that taper, so the charger will never see a higher value that may be possible at a lower SOC.

If the car SOC is in the taper region, it will tell the charger the charging current it wants based on that taper, so the charger will never see a higher value that may be possible at a lower SOC.
I sure hope you are right, but I'm not so certain. For example, if you look at the Tesla charge curve, the power is also limited at the low end and only reaches the maximum at 10-15%. So if the car starts charging below the maximum and that's what's used to set the power tier, you'd potentially be placed in a lower tier and the charger would never allow you to reach the actual maximum.

Here's what their web site says:

Once your EV is plugged in, your car will tell the charger the maximum power it can accept. This will determine the power level into which you’ll be placed, and the associated per-minute cost for your entire session. We automatically put you into the highest power level available at the charger that is compatible with your car’s charging capability.

I sure hope you are right, but I'm not so certain. For example, if you look at the Tesla charge curve, the power is also limited at the low end and only reaches the maximum at 10-15%. So if the car starts charging below the maximum and that's what's used to set the power tier, you'd potentially be placed in a lower tier and the charger would never allow you to reach the actual maximum.

Here's what their web site says:
Of course, EA could do stupid things in their software. However, if you plug in a Tesla at 2%, it will likely start at about 50kW, then ramp up to some maximum power at or above 100kW, depending on your vehicle. The logical thing would be for the charger to bill the entire session at the highest rate band that the charger actually delivered, whether it was exactly at the session initiation or not.

This whole discussion is kind of pointless for Tesla owners though. The only way to plug in and charge at an EA site today is with a Model S or Model X with a CHAdeMO adapter that is limited to 50kW. The CHAdeMO port on the EA chargers are also limited to 50kW even though they have promised to increase it in the future "after further testing". Even after a CCS adapter is released by Tesla, most sane Tesla owners would only use it if there is no Supercharger available where they need to charge. For non-Tesla owners, they may not have any choice because EA will be the only stations available above 50kW for the forseeable future.

• Disagree
Reactions: njxman
We need the state regulators to allow charging to be sold by the kWh. That would make this all much simpler.
An average price kWh could be arrived at then you pay "by the gallon".
You would never buy gasoline by the minute. Why buy electricity that way?
EA needs to charge more for higher power levels because of utility demand charges. So, even if they could charge by the kWh everywhere, they would still need to charge a premium for high power.

Reactions: RiverBrick
California:

Texas:
At those prices it would at best be an emergency option for Tesla drivers with a potential CCS adapter IMO. Too bad.

The EA price structure is a bit insane... almost $1.00 per minute in California for 150kW charging!
It seems that VW is going to make this a big profit center to recover part of their Diesel-gate fines. :cool:

Last edited:
I just posted an article about the new app and prices. As someone noted earlier, they can be quite reasonable for someone the CHAdeMO adapter with an S or X.

Electrify America releases new app, big price changes

The EA fees are still significantly (2x - 4x) higher than Tesla Supercharging... :cool:

Tesla no longer has “free” DC Supercharging for most of its new car buyers. In California (and the US generally) it now charges $.28 per kWh. In states that do not allow electricity to be sold by non-utilities using a per-kWh price, Tesla charges $.26 per minute at power rates above 60 kW and $.13 at power rates below that. There is no per-session or subscription fee.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: kayak1 and njxman
It's right in the post. ;)

Made some quick plots comparing the EA prices with Supercharger prices, all converted to $/kWh depending on the charge power. For the superchargers, I used the rates from Tesla's web site ($0.28/kWh, $0.13/0.26 per minute in states with per-minute charging). If you stay between 50 and 75kW it's actually not bad (good for owners of the Tesla Chademo adapter, I guess).

View attachment 415064
View attachment 415063

The new EA charging fee is based on the maximum charging power capability of the vehicle without regard to the actual tapered value.

Electrify America’s new tiered plans query the vehicle for its maximum charging power rate when the car is first connected and use that to choose the per-minute pricing tier that will be used during the full duration of charging. So, a Jaguar I-PACE that can charge faster than 75 kW but has a peak rate under 125 kW will now pay $.69 per minute or with a Pass+ subscription, it will be $.50 per minute. An Audi e-tron, that can charge faster than 126 kW, will now pay $.99 per minute without a subscription or $.70 per minute with a Pass+ plan in California.

The EA fees are still significantly (2x - 4x) higher than Tesla Supercharging... :cool:

Tesla no longer has “free” DC Supercharging for most of its new car buyers. In California (and the US generally) it now charges $.28 per kWh. In states that do not allow electricity to be sold by non-utilities using a per-kWh price, Tesla charges $.26 per minute at power rates above 60 kW and $.13 at power rates below that. There is no per-session or subscription fee.
Yet, someone using the CHAdeMO adapter on EA Pass+ may often end up paying less than $.28 rate and on the non-subscription rate they would pay only slightly more. Hardly 2-4x.

The Audi charges at around 150 kW up close to 80% state of charge. That’s 2.5 kWh per minute so at $.70 per minute it’s basically the same as Tesla’s $.28 per kWh.

Anyone doing any sort of regular charging of an Audi e-tron is better off paying the $4 per month subscription. Even a first 20 minute charge session would be essentially $21 non-subscription but with a subscription would be $14 and that $7 spread is more than the monthly $4....

It seems to me that the people who get screwed will be the middle tier with cars that can charge at just over 75 kW.