Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Fast Chargers - Huh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone at work posted As Seen On EV | Electric Vehicles Are Worth Watching. Haven't watched any of yet but there's fine print at the bottom:
"About: AsSeenOnEV.com is part of an education and awareness media campaign investment sponsored by Electrify America LLC. Designed to support education and awareness of zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) through brand-neutral outreach, this site links to various pages in order to enhance ZEVs awareness for the site visitor..."

through brand-neutral outreach, this site links to various pages in order to enhance ZEVs awareness for the site visitor..."
Yes, that's some great talk right there. I wonder how much of the 2 billion dollar restitution they have already spent? All this reminds me of Brewster's Millions. The more he spends, the more he makes and everyone around him is trying to help him make more money.

Reactions: cwerdna
Yes, that's some great talk right there. I wonder how much of the 2 billion dollar restitution they have already spent? All this reminds me of Brewster's Millions. The more he spends, the more he makes and everyone around him is trying to help him make more money.
I don't normally read them but EA does release annual reports (e.g. https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/180) and quarterly reports for CA/CARB (e.g. Electrify America Reports | California Air Resources Board and https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/202).

From https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/180, I took a quick look at 2021 National Annual Report at https://media.electrifyamerica.com/...l/872-2021AnnualReportNationalPublicFINAL.pdf. Looks like on page 28, they'd spent $1.077 billion thru end of 2021.

There was also Volkswagen, Siemens invest $450M into Electrify America in EV charging push.

Reactions: Darmie
Someone at work posted As Seen On EV | Electric Vehicles Are Worth Watching. Haven't watched any of yet but there's fine print at the bottom:
"About: AsSeenOnEV.com is part of an education and awareness media campaign investment sponsored by Electrify America LLC. Designed to support education and awareness of zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs) through brand-neutral outreach, this site links to various pages in order to enhance ZEVs awareness for the site visitor..."
...pretty sure that I have never seen any of these on TV

Reactions: cwerdna
Didn't see a post about this:
"And this week the California Air Resources Board (CARB) is set to rubber-stamp Electrify America’s proposed plan for the final 2.5-year cycle of its investment plan—sending $800 million to California and $1.2 million to the rest of the U.S., as mandated by its settlement for diesel pollution. Does it go far enough in addressing the reliability and uptime of the charging network?"

• Informative
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Wonder how they'll pay for that site, jack up the price? Indoor in SF would be pretty snitzy. I prefer the Geary Supercharger site
EA appears to be attempting to remake their image. As the poster child for 'poor service' and direct competition from the undisputed industry leader on the horizon, even EA must see that a massive effort is required to stay in business.

With Walmart planning to install their own charging network, EA may be about to feel pressure from two sides as customers flee to Tesla and leases at Supercenters start expiring.

Reactions: kayak1 and jboy210
EA appears to be attempting to remake their image. As the poster child for 'poor service' and direct competition from the undisputed industry leader on the horizon, even EA must see that a massive effort is required to stay in business.

With Walmart planning to install their own charging network, EA may be about to feel pressure from two sides as customers flee to Tesla and leases at Supercenters start expiring.
Not just Tesla competition, but a bunch of other networks, aided by NEVI, which is billions more than Dieselgate.

GM and Nissan link up with EVGo. GM has a deal with Pilot/Flying J and EVGo.
Wal*Mart is building its own. It announced plans last April and are going to add chargers (at least to some of them) as part of planned redesign of stores.
12 months from end of January 2024, 650 store remodels.
And of course a group of manufacturers said they planned to have their own networks. But that's not moved much.

Meanwhile in 2024Q3 EA will begin Dieselgate Cycle 4 of 4, which means their war chest will be a lot emptier. They will also get a bunch of NEVI funding, but now they'll be far from the only CCS game in town _and_ the NEVI locations are guaranteed to be within 1 mile of highway exits, which means that some other locations may be preferred to existing EA locations.

For example, on a trip in our Kona last year, we crossed Scranton to charge at EA. But there is a planned NEVI Tesla Supercharger at a Wawa right by the next exit, and an already-opened 4-stalll NEVI EVGo 10 miles south in a Pilot in Pittston that we would probably have used instead.

Also in PA, it's worth nothing that while EA is going to add a location at Sheetz in Tyrone*, the Sheetz Altoona location is listed under the Sheetz name. As with Walmart, which is likely going to have its own branding, I expect that many of the larger gas station chains will be looking to run their own charging networks. That could not just affect Electrify America, it could affect other companies, including Tesla. It may just be a branding change, but it could change the prospects for dedicated charging companies who would have to look to smaller chains to have their own branded stations.

However, with the shift to J3400, as well as Tesla moving into Electrify America's space, Electrify America is going to move into Tesla's space. A switch of plugs is going to give them a _much_ bigger established market than they currently have.

* we filled up our Volt there a number of years ago

Last edited:
That’s the thing. Now that adapters are available, if I were a DC fast charge CCS network, I’d be tripping over myself to install NACS connectors to triple my customer base. I do wonder why they haven’t been doing this?
I assume Walmart took the lazy easy path. Let EA do it , that’s their business. Walmart learned that EA sucked and lots of users complained to Walmart. Not good.

So Walmart will do it right now that NACS is easily available. Walmart is probably pissed that they didn’t sign a national contract with Tesla 10 years ago when they had a chance.

Reactions: kayak1
I do wonder why they haven’t been doing this?
Surely, with as long as you've been around EVs, you realize that there has been a huge battle against they mounted by the legacy ICE manufacturers trying to preserve their investment in ICE technology, manufacturing, and knowledge. One facet of this battle has been to try to kill Tesla in every way possible including marginalizing both Tesla and charging infrastructure.
Note that EVgo started supporting Tesla chargers a while ago but they weren't managed by the ICE industry.
They've only come over to NACS now that they're getting their lunches eaten by Tesla and realize the only way they can succeed is to start doing things the right way including adopting Tesla's chargers.

We're planning a road trip to SW Colorado this summer. To get ready I purchased a CCS adapter and started getting set up with various 3rd party charging providers. Yikes! Electrify America prices are ridiculous! I guess they'll be my last choice for charging.
In general yes they are too expensive to use other than as a backup however just like Tesla supercharging prices they do vary. I expect to use the EA location in Jamestown ND this weekend instead of the supercharger down the road for both better price and a better restaurant nearby.

EDIT: Now that I go back and check the EA site in that town is a bit more expensive now. Ah well there's both relatively cheap.

Last edited:
We made a 4,000 mile road trip out west this summer. No adapter was used. We did use some destination chargers. Thank you LaQuinta.
We had one glitch at Mammoth resort in CA where a couple of dispensers were out of order. That would have meant waiting in line a little while but it turned out that we had enough to get to the next SC in Bishop, Ca.

Well, you’re not kidding the prices of Electrify America are just skyrocketing!

Attachments

• IMG_4562.png
    IMG_4562.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
With demand charges not spread out over many chargers it can be difficult to get your money back, especially when your chargers break after charging that Porsche, so you owe the demand charges for months to come yet your charger is just sitting there not charging additional cars to help pay for them. Our local power utility recently pulled the ABB chargers they had been unable to get parts for, out of the ground and went with Trillium chargers that broke instantly and it's been more than half a year just sitting there. Such a difficult business to make money in.