Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America general discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that it is best to always have an alternative.

So let's look at the Electrify America's expansion plan.

Cycle 3 (January 2022-July 2024):

Electrify America Cycle 3.jpg

Electrify America routes and metros.png

"Boost Plan" (End of 2025):

electrify america boost plan.png

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Big Earl
EA's birth is disturbing and I've said I'd push my car rather than go there but, I've rethought that. For one thing I don't think one can push a Tesla. They gave away juice on Thanksgiving at least at one station - nicely done. The few that I have seen are not in great spots. I will be reaching them some more.

I am glad that Tesla is coming out with the CCS adapter.

If your only experience with Electrify America is using CHAdeMO, you experience is completely different from somone using CCS.

For an obvious reason, Electrify America has zero incentive in keeping CHAdeMO working and is aleady trying to phase out CHAdeMO.

Reactions: kayak1
I don’t really understand what I’m looking at? What are “regional routes” for example?
Regional routes are designated highway where Electrify America is adding stations.

Electrify America designates its stations as either metro stations or highway/regional stations.

The former are located in metropolitan areas while the latter are located along the highway.

Last edited:
Reactions: robussc
For an obvious reason, Electrify America has zero incentive in keeping CHAdeMO working and is aleady trying to phase out CHAdeMO.
And in fact, here is the first EA site I noticed that does not have a CHAdeMO connector:

Discussion thread: Fastcharger - Commerce City - Kroger King Soopers 114 (Commerce City, CO)

As you can see, I am creating a companion to supercharge.info & the discussion threads for non-Tesla fastchargers (not just ElectrifyAmerica). It's still early days so not much activity yet, but if you want to help jump start the tracking of non-Tesla DC fastchargers, join me at fastcharger.info

(I will post later on with my experience on a road trip using EA sites in my wife's ID.4 and how it compares to the same trip on the Supercharger network)

[Moderator Note: @e of pi asked to have it noted that there is an issue with the data; a future post clears this up.]

This is data I've been keeping collecting their plugscore data:
1639240888828.png
1639240899554.png

Left: average Plugscore values, out of 10. Blue is all stations, green excludes stations rated 0, which are often newer ones that just haven't recieved enough ratings yet. Right: breakdown of fleet by Plugscore.

1639243246327.png
1639243258479.png

Left: growth of network, broken down by reliability. Right: Reliability stackup, excluding 0-rated stations.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you can see, I am creating a companion to supercharge.info & the discussion threads for non-Tesla fastchargers (not just ElectrifyAmerica). It's still early days so not much activity yet, but if you want to help jump start the tracking of non-Tesla DC fastchargers, join me at fastcharger.info

(I will post later on with my experience on a road trip using EA sites in my wife's ID.4 and how it compares to the same trip on the Supercharger network)
You should make one specifically for Electrify America.

Electrify America is in a totally different league than say EVgo or Greenlots who don't even have highway coverage.

And in fact, here is the first EA site I noticed that does not have a CHAdeMO connector:
It's official policy.

I made a thread about it earlier

This is data I've been keeping collecting their plugscore data:
View attachment 743168View attachment 743169
Left: average Plugscore values, out of 10. Blue is all stations, green excludes stations rated 0, which are often newer ones that just haven't recieved enough ratings yet. Right: breakdown of fleet by Plugscore.

View attachment 743196View attachment 743197
Left: growth of network, broken down by reliability. Right: Reliability stackup, excluding 0-rated stations.
Can you break it down by CHAdeMO vs CCS?

If Plugshare is to be believe, it seems like every 1 of 4 Electrify America stations have non-working CHAdeMO.

Also, the top left graph doesn't have percentage so I don't know how you could have "% unreliable chargers".

Can you break it down by CHAdeMO vs CCS?

If Plugshare is to be believe, it seems like every 1 of 4 Electrify America stations have non-working CHAdeMO.

Also, the top left graph doesn't have percentage so I don't know how you could have "% unreliable chargers".
I can't report by plug or plug type at a site, Plugshare only reports sites overall. On the top left chart, I'm cheating--the % is the same scale as the out-of-ten plugscore scale. However, your question did make me realize due to an excel formula issue, the charts weren't updated with the last four months of data, which is now corrected below.

1639248043125.png
1639248048099.png

Left: average Plugscore values, out of 10. Blue is all sites, green excludes sites rated 0, which are often newer ones that just haven't received enough ratings yet. Excluding them helps remove penalties during periods of faster network growth. Red is fraction of unreliable sites, defined as sites rated 1, 2, 3, or 4, and read as a percent (e.g. today's unreliable percentage is 1.47%) Right: breakdown of charger sites by Plugscore.

1639248052256.png
1639248056740.png

Left: growth of network, broken down by reliability. Right: Reliability stackup, excluding 0-rated sites.

I can't report by plug or plug type at a site, Plugshare only reports sites overall. On the top left chart, I'm cheating--the % is the same scale as the out-of-ten plugscore scale. However, your question did make me realize due to an excel formula issue, the charts weren't updated with the last four months of data, which is now corrected below.

View attachment 743249View attachment 743250
Left: average Plugscore values, out of 10. Blue is all sites, green excludes sites rated 0, which are often newer ones that just haven't received enough ratings yet. Excluding them helps remove penalties during periods of faster network growth. Red is fraction of unreliable sites, defined as sites rated 1, 2, 3, or 4, and read as a percent (e.g. today's unreliable percentage is 1.47%) Right: breakdown of charger sites by Plugscore.

View attachment 743252View attachment 743251
Left: growth of network, broken down by reliability. Right: Reliability stackup, excluding 0-rated sites.
It looks like Electrify America stations have gotten significantly more reliable over time.

Back in 2019, Electrify America went so far as to remove and replaced many unreliable chargers

It looks like Electrify America stations have gotten significantly more reliable over time.

Back in 2019, Electrify America went so far as to remove and replaced many unreliable chargers

IIRC, the issues were identified in 2019, but the big replacement actually came in fall 2020? It's why there's the massive drop-off in unreliable chargers around 9/20, the number of 0-rated stations rises about the same time (from those stations being offline long enough to need to have their plugscore reset to 0) and the resulting improvement seen over the next several months as the newly refit stations were re-rated with their improved reliability.

What was the total settlement penalty for Dieselgate and how much have they spent? What happens when VW pays its prentice? Do they continue building or do they wash their hands and sell out with a potential windfall? I’ve always been leery of companies force by a court order to pay for their crime. Their heart is not into it and at the first opportunity look to get out from under it abandoning the folks they are supposed to be compensating.

What was the total settlement penalty for Dieselgate and how much have they spent? What happens when VW pays its prentice? Do they continue building or do they wash their hands and sell out with a potential windfall? I’ve always been leery of companies force by a court order to pay for their crime. Their heart is not into it and at the first opportunity look to get out from under it abandoning the folks they are supposed to be compensating.

Annual Reports are published in May:

2 Billlion is a lot of money.