Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America general discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ready for the next day at the track! ;)

1656528669002.png

While I bought a CCS adapter, and follow these discussions closely (I’m a 70 year old disabled vet) that take 3 to 4 2K mile road trips a year to visit our grand children, we can’t afford to get stranded or horribly delayed during our trips.

So for us and probably many others you have to ask your self, as a Tesla owner would you relay totally on the myriad of CCS DCFC companies for 100% of your charging needs? I can answer that, NO. I bought the CCS adapter purely as a backup. My initial charging strategy will always be road trip via Tesla Super Chargers. It’s clear the competition has some work to do with regards to Charger availability.

While I bought a CCS adapter, and follow these discussions closely (I’m a 70 year old disabled vet) that take 3 to 4 2K mile road trips a year to visit our grand children, we can’t afford to get stranded or horribly delayed during our trips.

So for us and probably many others you have to ask your self, as a Tesla owner would you relay totally on the myriad of CCS DCFC companies for 100% of your charging needs? I can answer that, NO. I bought the CCS adapter purely as a backup. My initial charging strategy will always be road trip via Tesla Super Chargers. It’s clear the competition has some work to do with regards to Charger availability.
Another strategy can be to prefer a CCS site but make sure you have a Supercharger site as a backup.

For example, there might be an Electrify America site where you could charge faster and thus prefer over a nearby shopping mall 72 kW urban Supercharger or likewise a V2 Supercharger that is heavily used where you would almost certainly end up splitting power. The EA site might be faster and maybe even cheaper but the Superchargers would provide a backup.

"If savings is $0.05 or less per kWh, that’s 6,000kwh+ to recoup your investment. You probably need to solely use non-SC for the purchase to make sense financially. As a backup or for areas with sparse SC it might make sense so you arent stranded or if your time is really valuable."

Hypothesis : time based Tesla supercharging is significantly more expensive than electrify America, (and that's before the EA pass plus.)

I just drove 2400 miles across i-80, and used electrify America a half dozen times where it made sense to do so.

So. Crunching the numbers here, I charged at +100kw for 11 minutes, 50-99kw for 9 minutes.

Using EA Pass Plus, you pay a flat fee based on the highest charge rate (in this case 32c/minute, but with the pass plus 25% discount, so ultimately 24c/minute.)

For EA+ 20 minutes total, 24c/min + tax (7.25%) worked out to $5.15 (4.80 + 0.35 tax) for 36 kwh of energy ≈ 14.3c/kwh

This same charging session at the tesla super would cost:
Tier 3 - 11 mins @ 69c/min = 7.59
Tier 2 - 09 mins @ 41c/min = 3.69
Subtotal $11.28 + 7.25% local tax, $0.81
Grand total $12.09, 36kwh = 33.5c/kwh

TLDR - Tesla supercharging costs 2.25 times as much as EA for the same electricity. (Lincoln, NE)
Saved $7 at EA.

Screenshot_20220703-235458_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220704-000403_Chrome.jpg
20220703_235241.jpg
Screenshot_20220704-001023_Electrify America.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Electrify America charging station in Baker, CA is getting the 'next-generation' chargers.
What's new with these? The most obvious difference I see is welcome though - longer cables - some of the older EA station stalls only allow vehicles with the charging ports in a particular position on the car to charge, which is kinda annoying.

I just learned about this extension cord - NEW! Tesla Extension Cord – EVSE Adapters - but I wonder if it'll work with the official CCS adapter. $550 is really expensive though, but I guess it's because of all the copper material...

Answering my own question: Electrify America Presents "The Charging Station of the Future, Today"

• An all-new design that refines the look and reduces the footprint of the charger
  • A recessed and brighter HMI (human-machine interface) screen to help reduce the glare from sunlight making it easier for customers to view the operational instructions and charging progress
  • A single connector cable with an all-new cable management system to ease the effort to plug in the cable no matter where the charging port resides on a customer’s EV
  • A reduced footprint of both the charger and power cabinets will allow installation of more equipment in space constrained, urban locations.

Tesla navigation pulls a Frank Costanza and stops short. Using Tesla Navigation to go to an Electrify America charge in a city around 180 miles caused it to add a Supercharger stop even tho I had enough charge to reach the Electrify America charger with around 30% SOC to spare. I then changed the navigation destination to the Walmart which hosts the EA chargers. In this case, navigation routed directly to the Walmart and showed the 30% SOC estimate at the destination.