Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America general discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it looks like EA is redesigning the labels on their cabinets…..

View attachment 850350
In the interests of honesty however, they should make it clear that the Hyper Fast only does this on 800v cars. Perhaps they need a catchy marketing name for 800v cars. In particular, you don't want people with 400v cars using the 800v stalls if a station has both 400v only and 800v stalls.

Here’s hoping that owners with slower charging cars (bolts/leafs/50kw) know this and not charge at the 350 when a 50 is available. But it’s going to happen.
If it does. EA could program the stations to notice this and refuse to let the 50kw car to charge at a 350kw station if necessary. However it needs a camera to be sure that the 50kw station. Best to give reservations and pick the stall for the driver. That really needs a display on the car like Tesla can do.

So it looks like EA is redesigning the labels on their cabinets…..

View attachment 850350
I found an article talking about this refresh. Apparently, it also is debuting at the same time as balanced power... They are introducing shared cabinets. Each pair of 350kw chargers will share up to 350kw. It says each stall is gauranteed a minimum of 150kw. However, the split isn't always half half like a v2 supercharger... It says if one car has a higher SoC and is only pulling 50kw, the other car can pull 300kw.

It also says each charger will now only have one CCS handle instead of two. It says each handle will have an 18' long cable. It says all future installations, will use these revised gen 2 chargers, with a single handle and 18' cable.. But it says the shared cabinets will be optional.

However, the split isn't always half half like a v2 supercharger... It says if one car has a higher SoC and is only pulling 50kw, the other car can pull 300kw.
I'm pretty sure that V2 Superchargers are dynamic like that as well. It is just that there is only ~144kW to split, so if both vehicles need a lot of power you only get 72kW. But if one is only pulling 50kW the other will get ~84kW. (It is allocated between vehicles in ~12kW steps.)

"A thoughtful redesign backed by user research."
First, that's a sentence fragment, so don't put a period at the end of it like it's an actual sentence. But secondly, that decision is backed by user research? There isn't anything intuitive or sensible about the hyperbolic and vague terms "hyper" and "ultra" to let anyone know which is supposed to be faster.
Maybe it's because you're "old." So am I, though I'm not even 50. And I'd guess that's why those terms don't resonate with us. But I do believe they asked a reasonable segment of the population, and they liked it. We prefer the numbers and the details, but not everyone does. EA has to find the more broadly appealing terminology, and I suppose this is their effort.

I'm pretty sure that V2 Superchargers are dynamic like that as well. It is just that there is only ~144kW to split, so if both vehicles need a lot of power you only get 72kW. But if one is only pulling 50kW the other will get ~84kW. (It is allocated between vehicles in ~12kW steps.)

V2 has four steps. 12 chargers in 4 groups of 3 (each on one phase). So 36/72/108/144. V3 is fully dynamic.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
I found an article talking about this refresh. Apparently, it also is debuting at the same time as balanced power... They are introducing shared cabinets. Each pair of 350kw chargers will share up to 350kw. It says each stall is gauranteed a minimum of 150kw. However, the split isn't always half half like a v2 supercharger... It says if one car has a higher SoC and is only pulling 50kw, the other car can pull 300kw.

It also says each charger will now only have one CCS handle instead of two. It says each handle will have an 18' long cable. It says all future installations, will use these revised gen 2 chargers, with a single handle and 18' cable.. But it says the shared cabinets will be optional.

That's great. I never understood the multiple handles on the dispensers.

As an owner with an EV that maxes out at 22kW, very welcome news.

Maybe it's because you're "old." So am I, though I'm not even 50. And I'd guess that's why those terms don't resonate with us. But I do believe they asked a reasonable segment of the population, and they liked it. We prefer the numbers and the details, but not everyone does. EA has to find the more broadly appealing terminology, and I suppose this is their effort.
No, it's not about that. I don't need "numbers and details". Words would be fine if they are informative. @avs007 gets it. The problem is simply that the words "hyper" and "ultra" don't have any inherent meaning. They don't indicate anything about which one is higher in a comparative sense. The words small, medium, and large listed on a group of items show the order and indicate something definite. With hyper and ultra or ultra and hyper, which one is the faster charging stall? That isn't informative and makes people go look for the "numbers and details" anyway to figure out what's going on.

Another video from Transport Evolved on their F-150 towing trip discussing EA issues, and how much worse it has been lately:

At their first charging station of the day all stalls were de-rated to ~30kW. Even after contacting EA and being told that the next station was up and supplying full power with no reported issues, they get there to find out 50% of the site is down, 25% is de-rated to ~30kW, and 25%, one stall, is actually working properly. All at a station that seems pretty busy with people waiting to charge.

So where is your information coming from that they are replacing chargers at older sites with new equipment? You said that they haven't announced it... And I haven't seen reports of it happening...
In the coming weeks through the end of the year, you can expect to see many enhancements at stations starting with the replacement of 300+ early technology chargers with our Next-Generation Charger.
We will continue to share updates on this charger replacement campaign in the coming weeks. Thank you for being a member of our EV community
⚡️

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Are they putting one new generation charger at each site? Will they be replacing entire sites?

I doubt replacing only ~300 would even get all of the ones that are currently failed. (Transport Evolved mentioned in a recent video that they were at an EA site and were really happy that 2 stalls were working, then they mentioned that the site had at least 10 stalls. 80% failure rate there. For example the entire Ogallala, NE site has been 100% failed for quite some time, and it isn't the only one, so I hope they start replacing chargers at sites like those.)

... (Transport Evolved mentioned in a recent video that they were at an EA site and were really happy that 2 stalls were working, then they mentioned that the site had at least 10 stalls. 80% failure rate there ...
I've made two 3,000 mile trips while in possession of the CCS1 adapter (AZ~Cape Cod~AZ). I've used quite a few EA sites sort of as an experiment. Most worked out OK. A few less than OK and one or two which were just hopeless. Thus, I will only use EA sites which are within a few miles of a Tesla SC location.

Rich

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Are they putting one new generation charger at each site? Will they be replacing entire sites?

I doubt replacing only ~300 would even get all of the ones that are currently failed. (Transport Evolved mentioned in a recent video that they were at an EA site and were really happy that 2 stalls were working, then they mentioned that the site had at least 10 stalls. 80% failure rate there. For example the entire Ogallala, NE site has been 100% failed for quite some time, and it isn't the only one, so I hope they start replacing chargers at sites like those.)
Electrify America said that it will replace 300+ chargers by the end of the year.

That implies that Electrify America plans to replace more next year.

Electrify America will be replacing all the non-CHAdeMO dispensers at each charging station that it is upgrading.

Obviously, Electrify America will be prioritizing the most problematic locations.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Loveland, CO Electrify America will be down starting Monday, September 12 for the installation of new chargers

Thus, I will only use EA sites which are within a few miles of a Tesla SC location.
Yes! This is the best way to do it. EA should be used as a supplement to Tesla Superchargers. Lower prices are great, but it's a nightmare if it doesn't work and you're stuck with no way to charge (quickly).

It takes a bit of getting used to, but strategically filtering via the Plugshare app + some confirmations from the EA app can reduce risk considerably - you can safely leverage more options without being stuck with no alternatives and left in a bad situation.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
EA sites which are within a few miles of a Tesla SC location
I avoid EA sites period. If they're close to a Tesla SC, I'll use the Tesla SC. If not, the expected 10 - 20 minutes required to get a session started, followed by the slow 48 kW charging rate, coupled with the high probability that it won't work anyway makes it not worth my time. When I travel, it's to get somewhere, not to fuss around with a charger with a terrible track record.
The exception, of course, is that I do sometimes try an EA station, just to see if things have changed. So far - no.
I try to be positiver though: At least the people I waste time talking with on the phone are usually nice.

Reactions: Ciaopec