Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America to phase out CHAdeMO chargers; encourages Tesla drivers to use the Setec CCS1 to Tesla adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changing gears.... I was trying to figure out what to do about my mid-2019 Model 3 - whether to buy a CCS adapter or not because I am going to spend time in a place with NO Tesla superchargers. There are three EA CCS/CHA locations nearby.

I talked with Tesla Support today (4/30) to see if there's any additional information about the release of support for CCS, and, as you might guess, the answer was vague: 'soon'. Maybe sooner than we think.....

Some posters here may be familiar with what I'm saying next, If so, please pardon the duplication - and please correct any errors or add to this material.

When I asked what would happen if I plugged in a CCS adapter anyway, the Support guy said 'try it and see what happens'. I immediately asked whether I could cause damage (and void the warranty) if I did this, and the answer was the car would just reject the charging attempt and no damage would result.

When we talked about this in more detail, the Support guy told me that the Model 3 has a CPU that controls charging. Gen 3 CPU's were installed in 2019 models, while Gen 4 CPU's started to be installed in 2020 models. The Support guy told me that 'some' mid to late year 2019's also received Gen 4 CPU's, and that's why he told me to try the adapter.

What I found out after the call is that these CPU's are plug-compatible. And some additional research found that the parts are available in the DIY catalog as over the counter parts. Technically, if the parts are DIY, if you install them yourself, you're still protected by warranty.

I found out that some owners are doing just that, and the only action they have to perform is to get a software update to the charging CPU. Apparently, that update is available in Service Mode.

So, is CCS support for pre-2020 Model 3's as simple as replacing a CPU and doing a software upgrade?

Changing gears.... I was trying to figure out what to do about my mid-2019 Model 3 - whether to buy a CCS adapter or not because I am going to spend time in a place with NO Tesla superchargers. There are three EA CCS/CHA locations nearby.

I talked with Tesla Support today (4/30) to see if there's any additional information about the release of support for CCS, and, as you might guess, the answer was vague: 'soon'. Maybe sooner than we think.....

Some posters here may be familiar with what I'm saying next, If so, please pardon the duplication - and please correct any errors or add to this material.

When I asked what would happen if I plugged in a CCS adapter anyway, the Support guy said 'try it and see what happens'. I immediately asked whether I could cause damage (and void the warranty) if I did this, and the answer was the car would just reject the charging attempt and no damage would result.

When we talked about this in more detail, the Support guy told me that the Model 3 has a CPU that controls charging. Gen 3 CPU's were installed in 2019 models, while Gen 4 CPU's started to be installed in 2020 models. The Support guy told me that 'some' mid to late year 2019's also received Gen 4 CPU's, and that's why he told me to try the adapter.

What I found out after the call is that these CPU's are plug-compatible. And some additional research found that the parts are available in the DIY catalog as over the counter parts. Technically, if the parts are DIY, if you install them yourself, you're still protected by warranty.

I found out that some owners are doing just that, and the only action they have to perform is to get a software update to the charging CPU. Apparently, that update is available in Service Mode.

So, is CCS support for pre-2020 Model 3's as simple as replacing a CPU and doing a software upgrade?
The charge port ECU has to be replaced.

Not only do you have to replace the charge port ECU with a Gen 4 that you can get from a Tesla Service Center, but you have to make a wiring harness adapter. Some of the pins on the wiring harness are different for the cars that got the Gen 4 CP ECU because the charger port was also a newer version and had more sensors. You need to wait until your have a software update pending to install the CP ECU and wiring harness adapter so that the car updates it and integrates it. That's all you need to get it working on older cars. See here for more info Retrofit CCS compatibility onto earlier (NA) Model 3 - DIY approach