Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America Warning: /Minute Charging Rate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is an ALERT to anyone using an ELECTRIFY AMERICA charging station. In PA the charge rate is based on a per MINUTE charge, not on a per KWh. the billing is:

1-90 kW:$0.19/min
1-350 kW:$0.37/min

Per EA's website it states: "Pricing for DC fast charging is determined by charger location, your plan, and, for per-minute locations, the maximum power level your vehicle can accept." The important statement here is: "the maximum power level your vehicle can accept" Basically EA quire's the car at the start of your charging session as to what the maximum power level you car can take and establishes their billing level for your charge based on that regardless of the max power the car ACTUALLY requests from the charger.

Case in point, I stopped at an EA charger in the Carlisle area to test out the addition to my new-to-me Model X of the CCS Charging Adapter by the Tesla Mobile Tech. My State-of-Charge was about 70% and of course the Tesla reported to EA at the initial handshake that it could take a charge rate of probably 250kW or 350kW so EA put me in the $0.37/min pricing level. BUT because my SOC was already at around 70% the car only took a Max charging speed: 35.00 kW (as reported on the EA receipt) from the EA charger. I was connected for Charging time: 00:06:06 min and received Total energy delivered: 3.5470 kWh. I was billed: Total paid: $2.25

If you do the math ($2.25 / 3.547 kWh = $0.63 per kW) it comes out to $0.63 cents per kWh - very EXPENSIVE.

So, moral of the story, if you charge at an EA charger and are being billed at the per minute rate, make sure you DISCONNECT when your charge gets high enough that it starts slowing down because if you stay connected those last bunch of kWh's are going to cost you a LOT MORE that the first kW costs.

Good luck.

-stew

Interesting information. I have no plans to use EA chargers, but knowing how they calculate the cost is good. It seems they are trying to minimize the time people tie up a charger. If I ever use an EA charger I will make sure the SOC is low and the battery is warm so it can maximize its charge rate, and leave when I get to 70-80%.

jboy210 - Thanks for the replay. EA does not charge /minute in all states, only some states, and PA is one of them. PA is /minute charge instead of /kWh charge. They also have an idle charge but currently in PA it is set to $0.00.

The most fair method of charging is by the kWh. I would guess most states are under /kWh charging. I'm also pretty sure that EA has run the numbers and see that the /minute charging is more beneficial for their bottom line than /kWh charging.

jboy210 - Thanks for the replay. EA does not charge /minute in all states, only some states, and PA is one of them. PA is /minute charge instead of /kWh charge. They also have an idle charge but currently in PA it is set to $0.00.

The most fair method of charging is by the kWh. I would guess most states are under /kWh charging. I'm also pretty sure that EA has run the numbers and see that the /minute charging is more beneficial for their bottom line than /kWh charging.

I actually thought it had to do with certain state laws regarding how EA (or others) could charge for power without being a regulated utility. Like it’s possible that EA (and Tesla?) can only charge by the minute and can’t charge by kWh in certain states. I might be misremembering though.

Bruce.

I'm pretty sure Bruce is right and Tesla does a similar thing. IIRC, it has to do with utility regulations / whether or not non-utilities can sell electricity. In any case, to the extent that my memory is correct from previously reading about that (and that the source was also correct), when Tesla does this, they also have two rates, similar to what EA is described to have in OP, but Tesla charges based on the rate being used instead of the rate into which the vehicle's max charge rate falls.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla does this at some locations. I thought of another strategy to minimize costs, if you have an extra 2-3 minutes. To save money - don’t precondition the battery. It will reduce your peak charge speeds, which will reduce the time you spend paying the most expensive rates

I actually thought it had to do with certain state laws regarding how EA (or others) could charge for power without being a regulated utility. Like it’s possible that EA (and Tesla?) can only charge by the minute and can’t charge by kWh in certain states. I might be misremembering though.

Bruce.
Yes, Blink even had a page on their website about how they would really prefer to just have the simplicity of metered per unit energy pricing, but they are forbidden from doing that because of those states that will only allow the regulated state electric utilities to literally sell electricity. So they have to hand wave around that law by basically "renting" you "time" of using their equipment. So I think that's the bind that all of these charging companies have to deal with.

Reactions: Falcon73
All, I really don't have a problem with Per Minute charging as long as the Per Minute charge is fair. In this instance it is NOT fair because EA bases their rate on the initial handshake with the car and the response from the car as to what is the maximum rate the car can request. In this instance the car probably responded with 150 Kw or 250 Kw, I don't know because EA doesn't tell you that response from the handshake but it does tell you the maximum rate it provided to the car.

In my instance EA automatically put the Tesla in the higher $0.37/min rate even through it did say that it only provided a Max charging speed: 35.00 kW

1-90 kW:$0.19/min
1-350 kW:$0.37/min

I am aware of some states not allowing charging stations to bill on actual Kw provided because they don't allow them to "resell" a regulated resource, electricity. I'm sure time will get that changed. Some charging stations are owned by the installing company, EA, EVgo, etc. Others are installed and maintained by the installing company but the billing for the charge is determined by the property owner. I guess it's much like the ATM machines. Buyer beware.

-stew

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston