Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you can. You will need to find an EA station with a J1772 plug so you can use the J1772 adapter that you should have with your car or have purchased the CHADEMO adapter that Tesla used to sell. Only other option is to do what I did and purchase a CSS1 adapter from Tesla Korea through a proxy like Get your Tesla's CCS1 Adapter From Korea!

EA generally has CSS1 plugs mostly with one or two stalls with a CHADEMO.

Charging from an EA station will not harm your car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Can I charge my Tesla at Electrify America charging stations ? Will it be almost as fast as Super charger ? Also will be be advisable ?
@JVINFL covered most of it. I used to order mine, ended up about $270 total. As for speed it depends. EA sites I’ve seen have at most had 2 350kW chargers and the rest are 150/50kWs. But a lot of Superchargers around me are only 150s. I may be wrong but I’d probably give a slight advantage in speed to 150 SCs vs EA 150 but that’s just guessing, if anything the autostart gives an advantage. I charged at an EA350 the other day from 19->46% in 8 minutes at 181kW. A v3 supercharger might be a bit better but not by that much. I think it comes down to convenience/cost. If you can get EA low per minute rates vs kWh rates it may work out for you, or especially if you have free EA charging from another car. I ordered it for road trips and just a back up.

My CSS1 transaction totaled $309. Pretty cheap for a backup considering I believe the Tesla CHADEMO charger was $495 when it was available from Tesla. I know now I'm covered for probably 95% of the charging sites out there.

Last edited:
I just ordered mine with a case for $334. It was a super easy online ordering process. I didn’t have to create an account.
This works on your 2020 model Y? I have a April build 2020 and was hesitant to make the purchase not thinking it would work.

check on your status screen in your tesla, it will say CCS enabled or it wont
Thanks. Yes, I do show this being enabled. Didn't I see a thread on here where someone with a Model Y was attempting to retrofit the charging module behind the charging port? I wonder if at one time it wasn't enabled and now after some updates it is? Looking at EA now in some Supercharging trouble spots on the routes I've traveled to see if the investment is worth it.

Huh, didn't know this thanks! It's under "Software" then "additional information". Mine shows as CCS enabled, a Jun 2020 build. Now I need to consider if it's worth purchasing the adapter.... 🧐
I also have a June 2020 build Model Y. I obtained the Tesla CCS1 adapter from Harumio and have used it successfully at Electrify America. I think it is more than worth purchasing. I recently needed to use my Chademo adapter at an Electrify America site in Arizona in order to have the range to make it to Tucson. I was sweating the fact that EA sites usually only have one Chademo connector, and it sometimes isn't working. I got lucky, but now I have the CCS1 adapter and many more locations where I can charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Gaige and Dennisis
I also have a June 2020 build Model Y. I obtained the Tesla CCS1 adapter from Harumio and have used it successfully at Electrify America. I think it is more than worth purchasing. I recently needed to use my Chademo adapter at an Electrify America site in Arizona in order to have the range to make it to Tucson. I was sweating the fact that EA sites usually only have one Chademo connector, and it sometimes isn't working. I got lucky, but now I have the CCS1 adapter and many more locations where I can charge.
Well I just broke down and ordered it, same place. I've made several 2K plus trips with my M3 and now MY over the past few years and never had an issue but probably best to have the option!

Reactions: fly4fun