Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrify Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ouch! That's hurtful! But it's not like English is the most spoken language in the world, so, fair enough! :p

Not defending the other guy, as his post was clearly a touch on the moronic side, but...

English is by MILES the most widely dispersed widely used language in the world. The only other language with more total users is Mandarin, and I'd guess 97%+ of those ppl are within China. The second widely dispersed language after English is Spanish, and it's 50% of English.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
It's all good to plan and talk... but until they invest massively as Tesla has to install hundreds of charging stations in a matter of a couple of years world wide, they'll never catch up to the SC network.

We've seen how the last twenty years has gone by without much change from these players. Tesla and China is driving the EV revolution, everyone else is playing catch up.

Here's the thing -- the more I pay attention to all this, the more I think they simply won't ever catch up. I think it's much more likely they'll all go bankrupt.

ICE companies exist to turn a profit, no more no less. They do not care even 1% about global warming. That's an issue for the next generation of shareholders. So long as ICE companies can pay off enough American politicians to ensure no significant move to EV's becomes inevitable, they're going to sit pretty and count their cash till they can't. It's really that simple imo.

Tesla on the other hand, does not exist solely to turn a profit, and this is at the behest of their largest shareholder, along with many of their smaller ones. Elon knows a $35k M3 is great for the future of the world. The Tesla shareholders in it for the short term on the other hand reacted the same way they did every other time a price cut was announced, which was "oh crap, there go my short term margins", and the stock tanked. Yet Elon went ahead with this knowing full well it may not go good for the stock.

Then you get into the problem of existing margins of ICE companies, and their problem with EV's cannibalizing their existing business model. Many of these companies, especially the American ones, are not terribly healthy to begin with. For them to disrupt their business model for EV's...??? Super bad news.

*IF* any ICE companies were serious about this and wanted to give Tesla a run for their money they'd take $20B in assets from the mother company, create an independent start-up brand, and wish them luck. THAT would be a serious statement of intent. The rest is all BS.

It's not simply supply and price as practicality and convenience are still major hurdles. Sure you can buy one of those China cars that gives you 100KM for $20K but it's neither practical or convenient to use given the current charging infrastructure and technology. Average Joe is not going to change their life to revolve around a car nor do they have the funds to own a house and/or have their own charging station at home. EV adoption will keep on rising as more options become available, but it will not dominate the market for a long time unless something drastic comes into play.

I think your perspective here is a bit narrow. The Chinese government is fully behind EV adoption. That's all you need to know. Where did Huawei come from, and how long did it take them to surpass Ericsson, AT&T, and whatever other legacy western telecom companies? It won't take China long to get to 500M EV's sold, and when they do don't expect them to look anything like the clunkers they're producing now. I'd say 10 years max for them to be killing it in this space.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl and bpjod
They're much more environmentally conscious than North Americans since their educational institutions actually teach morality, ethics, and civil responsibility starting at a young age..

I wouldn't even go this far, I'd say they simply teach with a minimum of bias and a maximum of fact. Remember those hick teens from Kentucky hassling the Native guy at the Washington march? The thing that got me in that whole situation, which I didn't see mentioned at all in the media coverage was -- on what planet does the principal of this school believe MAGA gear is appropriate attire for 15-16yo's to wear? A few months ago while visiting my son's classroom, I saw a really old board game from Hasbro in a box in the corner. It was called "Trump: the board game". It was basically Monopoly rebranded to give Trump a royalty, and had probably been in the classroom 20 years. I called the principle the next day. She was unaware, assured me no politics in the classroom, and the game was gone immediately. But in parts of America, it's condoned. No way all those kids are wearing all that paraphernalia without at least tacit support.

So I wouldn't say it's so much about teaching morality or ethics (I know plenty of fairly racist Europeans…), I'd say it's more about teaching actual facts, including global warming, not doctrine according to Trump, or the local church, or the local coal lobby, or whatever it may be.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
I think your perspective here is a bit narrow. The Chinese government is fully behind EV adoption. That's all you need to know. Where did Huawei come from, and how long did it take them to surpass Ericsson, AT&T, and whatever other legacy western telecom companies? It won't take China long to get to 500M EV's sold, and when they do don't expect them to look anything like the clunkers they're producing now. I'd say 10 years max for them to be killing it in this space.

500Mil is a big stretch given there's a 0.2% chance you will be able to plate a car in China:

Why a licence plate costs more than a car in Shanghai

Huawei's success in the marketplace is geopolitical maneuver by the Chinese government to undercut all other competitors in order gain dominance in the market. They are not inventing any new technologies but merely adhering to existing open standards. Huawei LTE is just as fast as Ericsson LTE , but Huawei is just cheaper to implement.

There's no doubt that China will output a lot of EV's in the coming future akin to what you see in the phone market. However, on a fundamental level, it doesn't change the fact that current EV technology requires specific living conditions, equipment, costs, and effort to run at the same convenience and usability levels at current ICE cars. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any current EV producing car company (besides Tesla) that is developing their own battery and/or motor technology but rather are relying on 3rd parties for those components.

Oh it's funny because that's exactly why EV will sale well in Shanghai: gas car plate is 100k RMB (about 20k CAD) while EV plate is free. That's a huge incentive.

Also there's a lot of Chinese EV start-ups, they mostly use CATL battery today. BYD uses its own battery and now selling it's battery to other Chinese car company too.

Reactions: RiverBrick
I'll bring it back on track - looks like the website updated - pretty sure last time I looked it sucked and didn't really tell you a lot. Now it's better and has a locations map, albeit with everything "planned" - Locate a charger | Electrify Canada. Weird thing is when I zoom in to a level that would show me actual locations, they disappear... Hmmm, why do I feel like this is still just greenwashing?

500Mil is a big stretch given there's a 0.2% chance you will be able to plate a car in China:

Why a licence plate costs more than a car in Shanghai

Huawei's success in the marketplace is geopolitical maneuver by the Chinese government to undercut all other competitors in order gain dominance in the market. They are not inventing any new technologies but merely adhering to existing open standards. Huawei LTE is just as fast as Ericsson LTE , but Huawei is just cheaper to implement.

There's no doubt that China will output a lot of EV's in the coming future akin to what you see in the phone market. However, on a fundamental level, it doesn't change the fact that current EV technology requires specific living conditions, equipment, costs, and effort to run at the same convenience and usability levels at current ICE cars. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know of any current EV producing car company (besides Tesla) that is developing their own battery and/or motor technology but rather are relying on 3rd parties for those components.

The 500M was a number pulled out of the air, who knows where they'll end up. I don't think it's unrealistic tho if they were to make any progress at all in their technology & production, allowing them to export to the rest of the world.

Iirc EV's in China are exempted from their plating wait list. That's why their adoption rate is rising so quickly. Ppl don't especially want them, but if you want a car quick in China, it's going to be an EV. Edit -- I see Yangy beat me to it on this point.

The Huawei example is not solely to say they're the best innovator in the world, it's just to say that when the Chinese gov't gets behind something and wants it to succeed, they go all in, a point which you agreed with. So who knows where China will end up with EV's. I just think given the incredible focus of resources in areas the Chinese gov't has decided to prioritize, one needs to be super super careful when discounting them. Who knows, maybe the next time Trump decides to go after China on trade it'll be to protect Tesla lol... I'd die laughing if that ever happened.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
I've never understood why ppl care about thread integrity in internet forums. Why does it matter? Two discussions can be had in parallel in one thread, everyone's a big boy.

Why is there in an off-topic forum if it's OK to hijack an informational thread on a specific subject to discuss something having nothing to do with Tesla?

I don't see two discussions in parallel, just squabbling about language with an inaccurate title serving as click-bait.

Why is there in an off-topic forum if it's OK to hijack an informational thread on a specific subject to discuss something having nothing to do with Tesla?

I don't see two discussions in parallel, just squabbling about language with an inaccurate title serving as click-bait.

Dude, I didn't challenge the fact you get excited, I can see that. I asked why. I just truly don't understand why this rubs some ppl the wrong way, it's truly not a big deal.

• Disagree
350kW CCS Fast Charger at Audi Anjou. This is the second 350kW FC after another one was discovered earlier this at Volkswagen Group Canada’s Headquarters in Oshawa Ontario. The charger is only available during store hours and you need a special card to activate it.

DAD2223A-31B9-4005-9F02-343A44DB5682.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Just as I was wondering what had happened to Electrify Canada’s promise of installing stations in Canada, it seems they are currently installing a station down in Halton Hills at the Toronto Premium Outlets. 4 stations at this location. (Photos from PlugShare. Link: PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You)

Electrify, welcome to Canada.
80B86284-0A14-45B8-9A6F-2CB6E4BB96F9.jpeg

Attachments

• 719C2120-4FD5-4629-8E57-56436FAEED89.jpeg
    719C2120-4FD5-4629-8E57-56436FAEED89.jpeg
    293.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited by a moderator: