Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrochromic glass for Model 3 roof? [from 2017]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of any electrochromic "smart glass" films that can be applied in cars? Thinking it would be great for a Model 3 to be able to change the opacity of the pano glass roof esp on very sunny days.
I get the impression that sunny days are taken care of; unfortunately for us winter folk very little light comes in when it would be much appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
You'll see it on the Model S and X first.

-Randy

Since you made this post the patents were made public. It incorprates the same technology thats in Mercedes and Mclaren. Check out the new Mclaren Speedtail as they have the smartglass in 5 places which includes the top of the windshield no more flip down sun visors. Tesla also had a concept in a model x with the smartglass. Agp who makes some of the tesla glass tweeted image of a model s with the smartglass and the company that licenses this techbology. So you nailed it years ahead but when? It seems the cybertruck could use this in the top of the windshield. Supposedly prices are coming way down on this technology as well. So were you guessing on model s and x? Its seems not if but when? Rivian is coming with it as well with the entire panoramic roof being smartglass.

Tesla designs new sunroof with electrical tint and integrated lighting system - Electrek

Not sure if it will be a tint or a fog when this is implemented. I would sure love to be able to see out it whether it is activated or not.

Hoping they have it for TM3s and we can all smash out our current roof and get the electric tinting roof installed. I am hoping that it takes power to be clear and when power is removed it darkens up. For those of us with old cars, we can hook it to the ambient lighting circuit. When the ambient lights come on the roof goes to clear, otherwise, it will stay dark.

It will be so nice to see thru the roof at night, like that prototype Model 3 that Motor Trend got all the photos of. So tired of seeing my reflection.

If the CyberTruck comes with a flip-down rear seat to extend the bed size into the vehicle and electro-chromatic glass instead of just tinted glass I will be a VERY happy cT owner.

Last edited:
Which motortrend article? Do you have a link? They really need the smart glass in the top front windshield of the cybertruck. That large band should be able to keep it clear when cloudy or at night so you have a nice clear view.

Tesla Model 3 In-Depth - Exclusive Photos and Analysis

But specifically this view:

2017-Tesla-Model-3-top-view-interior-seats.jpg

No tint, so no reflections blocking your view out. This is what made me wanna get the car more than any other info.

I do like the car anyway. Looking at the sky as I pass between buildings or under powerlines or flocks of birds is so perfect that I actually sold the hardtop convertible this year. Just hoped I could be able to look out at night and see what's up there too.

Any update on smartglass on Tesla? Looks like Porsche/BMW Xi went with Frost Smart roof called PDLC and GM/Ferrari went with Tint Smart Glass called SPD/Suspended Particle Device. It seems there is heavy adoption coming especially for electric automakers.