Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electronic Parking Break Sticking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I leave my car parked for a few hours I notice that when initially put the car in reverse or drive, it sounds like the what I think is a momentary delay in the electronic parking break releasing (first time it happened I thought my tires might have froze to the ground and That was making the noise) but it has since warmed up and the sound still happens. Doesn’t happen if I throw it into park and back into drive or reverse again unless I let the car sit for an extended period.

Thoughts?

This happens to our car as well. We've narrowed it down to the humidity. The longer the park, the louder the *clunk*, especially when driven trough rain before parking. Sometimes creep is even too weak to overcome the braking force. Service Center suggested it's probably a fine layer of rust, and they might be right, because it doesn't happen if we heat up the brakes before parking.

Reactions: J Roc
This is my experience as well. If the brakes are wet as a result of rain when parking, then the brakes stick the following morning when I attempt to back out of my garage. It is an unpleasant sound. Fortunately this hasn't happened in a while, primarily because it hasn't rained much.

It’s certainly unpleasant. One time it was so loud I thought I lost a piece of my car on the parking block similar to this thread:

Always reverse park model S when you see cement parking curbs | Tesla

I don’t have to use my brakes often because of the regen, so hopefully it is just rust.

I agree the issue is related to parking brake sticking with slight rusting since it correlates with any rain or precipitation. The other aggravating factor is the brakes never hear up enough to get rotors warm enough to dry off any moisture. My vehicle is new in Dec 2018 and it does it pretty much every morning and evening with rain and snow melt through winter. Very annoying, it scares the crap out of wife. Biggest issue is having to explain to passengers. "High performance breaks will stick after sitting"

J
oc, post: 2507499, member: 70029"]After I leave my car parked for a few hours I notice that when initially put the car in reverse or drive, it sounds like the what I think is a momentary delay in the electronic parking break releasing (first time it happened I thought my tires might have froze to the ground and That was making the noise) but it has since warmed up and the sound still happens. Doesn’t happen if I throw it into park and back into drive or reverse again unless I let the car sit for an extended period.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Mine used to do this to me after every time I washed it and parked it in garage overnight. I’ve since learned to go around the block and use the brakes to heat them and dry them and the pads off. it’s just moisture between the pads and discs adhering to each other. Will do it after sitting in humidity or rain, etc....
We don’t have a transmission....a Tesla uses small calipers to clamp onto the rotor as our parking brake.

My 2016 S does that all the time if I've driven through rain or snow before parking for the night. Yeah, it is a bit disconcerting but service tells me it's nothing to worry about.

Surprisingly the new S I picked up last month does not do it even though I've driven through a lot of rain and some snow. So maybe I'm just lucky or more likely Tesla made some sort of change to the braking system.

In rainy days, this is what I do to avoid the issue after parking the car in my garage:

- Put in the Park
- Exit from the car
- Use Wheel Chocks in the front and backside of the tires
- Back inside the car
- Put the car in "Tow Mode"
- Exit from the car
- Leave a pre-made note on the driver seat "Wheel Chocks On"
(I only plugin after the car has gone to sleep, otherwise it goes to the Park mode)

The car stays in the Tow Mode (no parking brakes applied) and stationary (due to the Wheel Chocks)

Next morning:
- Back to he car, take it out of the Tow Mode
- Put it in the Park mode
- Exit from the car
- Take the Wheel Chocks off the wheels
- Back to the car and pull out of the garage

No parking brake sticking issue, no loud clunking sound. It's a bit of inconvenience but it works!

In rainy days, this is what I do to avoid the issue after parking the car in my garage:

- Put in the Park
- Exit from the car
- Use Wheel Chocks in the front and backside of the tires
- Back inside the car
- Put the car in "Tow Mode"
- Exit from the car
- Leave a pre-made note on the driver seat "Wheel Chocks On"
(I only plugin after the car has gone to sleep, otherwise it goes to the Park mode)

The car stays in the Tow Mode (no parking brakes applied) and stationary (due to the Wheel Chocks)

Next morning:
- Back to he car, take it out of the Tow Mode
- Put it in the Park mode
- Exit from the car
- Take the Wheel Chocks off the wheels
- Back to the car and pull out of the garage

No parking brake sticking issue, no loud clunking sound. It's a bit of inconvenience but it works!

And here I just apply my brakes lightly a couple times right before I get home.

But hey, A for effort.