TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Electronic Stability Control

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by PedanticOne, Jan 4, 2017.

1. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

I am trying to figure out (based on a thread over at the Tesla forums) what ESC is. It's listed as a separate item from Traction Control on the Tesla Model X specifications page. Yet in the Owner's Manual, the entry for Stability Control in the index takes you to the page for Traction Control. So... is there a separate stability control, and what does it exactly do?

My other thought is that maybe they mean how the air suspension will try to keep the car level.

2. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Generally, Traction Control only refers to the feature where torque is cut dramatically to prevent wheelspin. ESC is a complex 6-axis model of the movement of your car which tracks all your car's motions with an accelerometer and gyroscope and monitors for oversteer, understeer, left-right traction imbalance and so on.

However, it's very likely on modern cars both functions are provided by the same piece of hardware so the terms are somewhat interchangeable.

3. PedanticOne

PedanticOne MyTesla Refresh Champion

Right. The description you gave is what I'd expect Stability Control to be. Just odd that they don't specify more about what it does or how it works anywhere.

4. Pwdr Extreme

Pwdr Extreme Member

I can speak from personal experience, the X does have both traction control AND stability control. T/C will prevent wheel slip when accelerating, stability control will help keep the car under control in situations causing it to slide or fish tail. They both work quite well.

• Like x 3
  5. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Well given that there's no way to defeat ESC and only a slight way of influencing Traction Control (slip start), I don't blame Tesla for not wanting to talk more about it.

I find that most manufacturers' wording of the ESC feature makes it sound like the car has supernatural abilities and coaxes drivers into driving dangerously.