TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Elegant USB solution

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SigGuy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. SigGuy

SigGuy Member

2. dcopperfield

dcopperfield Member

Thanks! I just ordered one.

3. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Great idea. Another options is one of those short cables. I bought a pair a few years ago--ones a couple of inches and the other is maybe 5-6 They're white, though...black, like you have, would look better.... ;-)

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Nice find! I ordered one.

(OT but it's really annoying that Apple changed the connector on the iPhone5)

5. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

I ordered 2 as well. And I agree it's annoying, but I think in 2 years we'll be glad they did...the lightning connector is much better, should be more reliable, it's great that you don't have to worry about orientation (so plugging and unplugging "blind" is much easier.

6. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

Credit to the original posters on this thread!

Now, a story of over-thinking things . . .

After seeing @RichardD 's 3D printed coin holder the other day, it inspired me to start work on another 3D printed accessory for the Model S. The idea: a self-contained compartment in which two retractable USB cables would be housed, mounted on the two USB plugs at the base of the armrest; pull either or both out when needed, or let them retract cleanly into housing. So I purchased two retractable USB cables, went to the car to take measurements and . . . well . . . they look so good just as they are it simply wouldn't have been better with a housing. Lesson learned: not every problem needs a 3D printed solution! (bummer :().

To share this journey, here are 2 photos that pretty much sum it up:

IMG_4306.JPG IMG_4307.JPG

I found these retractable USB cables HERE on Amazon, but I am always cautious about using cheap charging cables, so please know that I have no idea how safe or reliable this brand will be. If you decide to shop around, look for versions where the standard USB plug and the spindle are both oriented vertically.

Now its back to the drawing board to think up other 3D printed solutions to non-existing problems! :D

• Like x 2
  7. Jimmy 1

Jimmy 1 Member

I have this, This covers those nasty looking cords and plugs too. You can feed your cords up thru the bottom to the phone slot. No messy look. But you can still get to them easily if you need to.

• Like x 1
  8. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

I tried the retractable cords and they failed after a week. Cheap knock-offs, but lesson learned and your results may vary.
    I am looking at some other ideas too I will probably start posting my 3d remixes and new creations once I get some time. I am using tinkercad to manipulate my meshes We should start a 3D ideas thread or get the mod to get us a small area for this.. Thoughts?

• Like x 2