Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Elementary' episode: SpaceX and Tesla mashup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elementary

Anyone happen to see this week's episode of Elementary?

No mention of Tesla but I found it amusing one of the characters was the genius owner of a company working on self driving cars, hyper loop transports and spacecraft.

Remind you of anyone? :)

(About all that was missing was a South African accent.)

Did anyone catch the latest episode? The fictional company at the heart of this episode deals in autonomous driving, hyperloop and rocket engines.

I caught that. The guy they caught was an "Elon"-like CEO. It just seemed like sloppy character development and they used aspects of Elon/Tesla/SpaceX as their basis for the company and character. The only aspect that was specific was mentioning hyperloop. That is something specifically created by Elon. They could have said vacuum tube transport to generalize it, but they didn't. When I heard hyperloop mentioned, I cringed.

yeah and the mash up guy's rocket engines were sub par to the Russians in opposition to spaceX having better engines.

But then really the character wasn't like Elon in any way, didn't seem terribly smart, no foreign accent, without the repeated rocket engine reference and the mash up introduction you'd never even think about Elon.

It really was a throw away character just for that episode.

They didn't acutally say he was CEO, wasn't he a junior VP or somesuch in charge of product development?

Last edited:
The bad guy was a local VP, not the CEO. This looked more like a mashup of Blue Origin and Alphabet since Blue Origin is actually negotiating to sell engines to ULA to replace RD 180's. AFAIK, SpaceX won't sell just engines. You have to buy complete launches, so you can just forget about turning your Model S into the Batmobile.

The bad guy was a local VP, not the CEO. This looked more like a mashup of Blue Origin and Alphabet since Blue Origin is actually negotiating to sell engines to ULA to replace RD 180's. AFAIK, SpaceX won't sell just engines. You have to buy complete launches, so you can just forget about turning your Model S into the Batmobile.

Did you just refer to Alphabet without the obligatory (formerly known as Google)? :)

I think it's less ambigous if you call them Alphabet Inc. (GOOG)