Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elephant Insurance dropped my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received a notice in the mail from my insurance carrier, Elephant Auto Insurance, that they are dropping coverage on my 2013 60 Model S because the car "fails to meet our underwriting standards because the car is "too exotic, expensive or unique". Wth?

I've never filed a claim on any policy in my life and haven't so much as had a parking ticket in 10 years.

We have two other cars and our home insured on this same policy.

Any suggestions?

Depending on your State, you may be able to file an appeal with the Insurance Commissior. If they are not following their filings then they may have to reinstate your insurance.

Another thought is to Tweet Elon and see how their rumored program of insuring Tesla's is coming along. Sometimes individual situations move a program along at Tesla.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
We've had Metropolitan for decades--home and auto. I don't know how their prices compare, but they've always been excellent when it came to claims, including on our S.

Also, on one level it seems like Elephant's being rotten. But Elephant's is a completely reasonable response to gouging repair shops as described in other threads. The insurance companies depend on the shops being reasonable negotiators in claims discussions. It's clear that way too many Tesla repair shops are taking unfair advantage.

It's probably better to just drop you vs their other option which was to raise your rates to crazy levels. It was costing me $2500 a year from AAA JUST for my Tesla. Most other companies were charging similar rates or more for Teslas. Ended up with the Costco insurance company, Ameriprise. I hear their claims process isn't great, though, so hopefully I won't ever have to use it.

I love my Tesla (so much we bought a second), but I really hope they get the insurance thing figured out soon (by lowering repair costs).

I had the misfortune of making two claims with Geico on my Volt and they were professional, punctual, and at the end did not raise my rate. I used their certified body shop that staffs their adjusters (one stop fix) as it was part of Moore Cadillac dealership and used genuine parts. I used the body shop for a third repair that ended up costing below my deductible so I did not make another claim. Last year Geico did raise the premium on my Tesla by about 20% however it was unrealistically low to begin with.

I had the misfortune of making two claims with Geico on my Volt and they were professional, punctual, and at the end did not raise my rate. I used their certified body shop that staffs their adjusters (one stop fix) as it was part of Moore Cadillac dealership and used genuine parts. I used the body shop for a third repair that ended up costing below my deductible so I did not make another claim. Last year Geico did raise the premium on my Tesla by about 20% however it was unrealistically low to begin with.
Let us know when you have deal to with them for a claim on your Tesla. Until then it's not relevant. Are you going to use a non-Tesla certified shop?