TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Eliica

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by WarpedOne, Jul 3, 2007.

1. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Mainecoon Butler

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, the Eliica is amazing.
    eliica.jpg

Successor to the Kaz:
    ext_view04.jpg

They (like Tesla) concluded that a "SuperCar" was needed to get the general public excited about electric cars.
    They too found the best engineers for all the components to make the best possible car with low cost not being a primary goal
    (The Eliica uses over $150,000.00 of Japanese Li-Ion batteries)
    (It is encouraging that Chinese factories can make similar batteries for a fraction of that cost, but is the quality OK? )

Unlike Tesla, they have embraced hub motors.
    Unlike Tesla, they use permanent magnet motors, not inductance motors.
    Unlike Tesla, they say they need a big manufacturing partner to get them into mass production.

( The Luciole is reminiscent of the Tango. )
    luciole.jpg

3. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

The interesting thing to me about the Eliica design is it's large size and mass (unusual for an EV) and the use of eight wheels.

It's like, they could figure out how to make a good performing two-seater EV, but couldn't figure out how to make a four-door sedan work. Then somebody said hey, let's take all the components from two two-seater EVs and bodge them together into one vehicle!

4. Takumi

Takumi Member

At the end of the documentary, they finally got a car company to notice them -- Mitsubishi. I suppose one can say that this is a prelude to Mitsu's MIEV program.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Possibly explaining why Mitsubishi (apparently) got so excited about hub motors...

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Straight line speed is not the only measure of a car. Dragsters would do quite poorly on any other kind of racetrack.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#7 vfx, Nov 26, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  8. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

If you haven't already seen it, you should watch the documentary mentioned here...

IMHO, Eliica was just a proof of concept showcase vehicle. The intention was to apply the technology to more mainstream vehicles in future.

By the way, did everyone notice that "1n5p1r4t10n" is number jumble for "InSpIrAtIOn"?

9. SByer

SByer '08 #383

I'm saying that during stages of development, before the upgraded power handling was possible, that yes, a two-ratio transmission was needed to meet both goals, given the other constraints that things were under, many of which are related to actually producing a reasonably practical car.

Anyway, the transmission is history, it's a simple gearbox now.

The Eliica, while interesting (I watched the hour-long special that was on HDNet a month back), doesn't seem terribly practical. Six wheels doesn't seem ideal, and watching them put the car together, it looked pretty clear that it would take a lot of work to get it street-legal. I do hope they feed the technology into other, more practical (and hopefully better looking) vehicles.

I'm wondering that if or when hub motors become practical for a street-legal car whether we get the same lower-end / higher-end separation with them that we get today with front-wheel-drive. That is, that the about-towners and sedate handling sedans that don't need every once of cornering or grip stay with a hub system if it proves cost and complexity advantageous, while sprts cars stay gearboxed with lighter unsprung weight.

10. domenick

domenick Nerd

#10 domenick, Nov 27, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
    The Eliica is pretty sweet but it doesn't exactly have "in-wheel" motors. The motors are attached to the backs of the rotors. The PML Flightlink Hi-Pa drive system are in-wheel motors.

Also I heard there are two versions of the Eliica, one for quickness (for the 0 to 60 in 4 seconds) and one for speed(for the 230 mph top speed).

11. just-an-allusion

#11 just-an-allusion, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
    A general overview of the vehicle's specs:
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/10/latest_version_.html

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Dad!

1911 Overland OctoAuto

1348645674_ea16de1699.jpg