Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elio Motors

Nichen

Dec 18, 2008
Sweden
Has anyone considered buying this car? It is supposed to seat 2 adults and get 84 MPG on the highway. And it starts at 6800 $!

Last edited by a moderator:

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
1. Looks like a death trap.

2. It has a gas engine so it's part of the problem, not part of the solution.

djplong

Apr 3, 2013
NH
If you can't afford a BEV - even after Tesla's $35K car, this is a step in the right direction. It's small, but is supposed to get a 5-star crash rating (all bets are off if they don't get at least 4). It doesn't cost a lot - so you can save your money for something better later on.. In addition, it gets TWICE the gas mileage of other car that are considered very efficient.

Don't let "perfect" become the enemy of "good".

jerry33

(S85-3/2/13 traded in) X LR: F2611##-3/27/20
Mar 8, 2012
Texas
In addition, it gets TWICE the gas mileage of other car that are considered very efficient.

84 is not twice 75, which is what I often got in my Prius. The last year's average over ~16K miles was 69.2. Also is the 84 U.S. or Imperial gallons?

dhrivnak

Jan 8, 2011
NE Tennessee
Don't let "perfect" become the enemy of "good".

Very well said. This is a large step in the right direction. Not perfect but a step in the right direction. And Jerry33 we have a Prius and do not drive it aggressively. But with hills and the need for heat/AC much of the year 45 mpg is a much closer average to what most people can achieve.

Alotofgrace

Jun 2, 2014
South
Yes I have, they also have 18,000 other paid pre production reservations on hand with production expected to begin in the fall of 2015. 84 MPG, 5 star safety rating, $6,800. Very compelling proposition

Apr 11, 2012
Potsdam, New York
I'll agree, there's a lot of people out there who's perceived needs (whether real or not) are not currently covered by an electric car they can afford. The more of these people that are getting 84 mpg instead of 20 or 30 the better. I bought a Volt because I can't afford a Tesla and no other electric vehicle works for my needs, so it was the best way to reduce / eliminate gas usage. My fiance has similar needs but cannot afford a Volt, so I've been trying to convince her to get an Elio since its the vehicle that will do the most to reduce gas usage based on her needs.

I was able to see the currently touring prototype in Syracuse, NY a couple weeks ago. I'm 6'2" 195lbs, and I was quite comfortable in the drivers seat. The back seat would be fine if I were shorter, not enough headroom for someone my size, but is otherwise comfortable.

Shumdit

Sep 2, 2013
SC
I think this is a great idea if it's as advertised. I would rather share the road with a bunch of Elio's than a bunch of Escalades!

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC