Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elise vs Roadster stereo binnacle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will fit.

Only difference between most of the the Lotus Elise/Exige parts that fit the Roadster is that the CF weave is a little different (typically a smaller weave for the Lotus). But if you don't have anything else CF in the car it will be only a subtle difference in contrast. But since you have a 1.5, the center console weave will be a Tesla weave and then the Lotus part will have its own. So if that doesn't bother you, you'll be fine. If you don't like it you can put it up on ebay or sell it on the Lotus forum.

I ended up buying the one that was on ebay recently that was up there for some time, gave the guy an offer and he took it. The guy is kinda shady and odd in his own ways just from seeing other people conduct past transactions (and emailing him earlier about rims), don't like buying from people like that, but he did deliver it and ship it out after about a week so with that he held up to his part of the deal.

I also have the 1.5, have the CF stock center console and put in the Tesla CF sills. But happy at what I have, only thing next is the Tesla instrument cluster binnacle top and that's where I'll stop with the CF inside.

As we can see these parts are harder and harder to come by, so its like get it while you can while its available and hopefully used.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak

No. The Tesla has lower sills and uses a different cover.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a carbon fiber stereo binnacle for a Roadster 1.5. I'm not seeing any for sale right now, but I did come across a similar part for the Lotus Elise:
Carbon Fibre Centre console (Elise, Exige, MY08 onwards) [CLTEX4] - 190.00 : Elise Shop, Performance parts for your Lotus Elise

Does anyone have experience with this? Are they interchangeable, or are they different?

Thanks!

Check here

https://gregsraceparts.squarespace.com/elise-exige-carbon-fiber/

These are 100% carbon fiber, unlike the overpriced Tesla ones which are just a thin overlay of carbon fiber, and actually weigh more than the non carbon ones.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Check here

https://gregsraceparts.squarespace.com/elise-exige-carbon-fiber/

These are 100% carbon fiber, unlike the overpriced Tesla ones which are just a thin overlay of carbon fiber, and actually weigh more than the non carbon ones.

I agree, his parts are top quality. Also note that by default he makes the CF weave in 3k, however he notes that he can make
6k/12k also available on special request. You just need to email him. I'm not sure off the top of my head what the Roadster weave is, I believe 4k. Whatever the weave is, it sounds doable. I really like that full CF instrument binnacle, looks sweet! I'm in for having one of these made for the Roadster :)

I think the best shot at making low cost quality CF parts for the Roadster would be to mail these guys and ask if they can make some custom batches for the Roadster owners. He can charge more, still undershoot Tesla's overpriced model, and both the Roadster owners as well as his company can make out well. And then from there possibly inquire about making other CF parts that are unique for the Roadster. That way he already has a reputation on the line to deliver relatively on time with a quality product. I'm not into people experimenting with this stuff, it never works out from what I can see from the past.

There's many talented and passionate people who fabricate things for the Elise/Exige, we just need to start emailing them with our interests.

Thanks everyone, and especially wiztecy, for your help! I think I'm going to pass on the Elise binnacle and wait for a Roadster one to come up for sale. It sounds like enough risk of getting the wrong part, or the wrong look.

I've been looking hard at the link MAUTO provided and with my current Tesla stereo binnacle and I can only see minimal differences in the weave. Its in the same direction. Also I've been trying to look at my center console to compare if you can actually compare the two and there's no flat surface to really see the transition, given that the center console has no flat plane from the top that gives you a very clear picture of the weave.

As MAUTO pointed out, the Tesla CF parts in my opinion also are not a quality product. My stereo binnacle piece has an epoxy mold form or line that you can feel. For an $800+ retail part that's unacceptable and I wouldn't let that crap out the door if I had my way. I can't see Greg producing a higher quality part than a aspiring manufacturer, but he did, and looking at it, he has higher standards for his CF parts. For being a center piece of my car I'm quite disappointed in that Tesla let such an unfinished part out there. All they needed to do is sand the damn unfinished line down. For $800 for such a small CF piece, yes I EXPECT THAT! How can a little guy surpass the quality of an auto manufacturer and under sell them at almost 3x the cost reduction but at a higher quality?

If you like I might sell my binnacle and go for Greg's to experiment. I don't want to shell out $600 for Tesla's half assed top part of a binnacle on the instrument cluster when the whole thing should have been done in CF at a fraction of the cost. I'd like to go for Greg's full CF instrument and steering cluster CF as well as the single din CF binnacle. I don't think the weave will be too much of a difference actually on the eyes. I'm willing to experiment.

PM me if you like to purchase my single din binnacle.

Personally I'm not happy with Tesla's CF work. If its being painted over that's a different story. Come on, who much does fine grit wet sand paper cost now a-days and a find polishing compound to do the job RIGHT. Insane mode to the max. For a top dollar retail price I expect QUALITY.

Since my profession is in Quality Assurance, I would have in NO WAY let that junk out the door. Period. (.)

Last edited:
I've been looking hard at the link MAUTO provided and with my current Tesla stereo binnacle and I can only see minimal differences in the weave. Its in the same direction. Also I've been trying to look at my center console to compare if you can actually compare the two and there's no flat surface to really see the transition, given that the center console has no flat plane from the top that gives you a very clear picture of the weave.

As MAUTO pointed out, the Tesla CF parts in my opinion also are not a quality product. My stereo binnacle piece has an epoxy mold form or line that you can feel. For an $800+ retail part that's unacceptable and I wouldn't let that crap out the door if I had my way. I can't see Greg producing a higher quality part than a aspiring manufacturer, but he did, and looking at it, he has higher standards for his CF parts. For being a center piece of my car I'm quite disappointed in that Tesla let such an unfinished part out there. All they needed to do is sand the damn unfinished line down. For $800 for such a small CF piece, yes I EXPECT THAT! How can a little guy surpass the quality of an auto manufacturer and under sell them at almost 3x the cost reduction but at a higher quality?

If you like I might sell my binnacle and go for Greg's to experiment. I don't want to shell out $600 for Tesla's half assed top part of a binnacle on the instrument cluster when the whole thing should have been done in CF at a fraction of the cost. I'd like to go for Greg's full CF instrument and steering cluster CF as well as the single din CF binnacle. I don't think the weave will be too much of a difference actually on the eyes. I'm willing to experiment.

PM me if you like to purchase my single din binnacle.

Personally I'm not happy with Tesla's CF work. If its being painted over that's a different story. Come on, who much does fine grit wet sand paper cost now a-days and a find polishing compound to do the job RIGHT. Insane mode to the max. For a top dollar retail price I expect QUALITY.

Since my profession is in Quality Assurance, I would have in NO WAY let that junk out the door. Period. (.)
Were you able to find out if Gregs Race Parts is the best place to go for the CF parts? Have you tried anything from Elise shop?

Last edited: