Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Ellensburg, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is coming from south east washington. If you leave WW with 55-66% charge or so you can just barely make it to Ellensburg. If you need to make it all the way to cle-elum you have to stop in Kennewick which adds a lot of time to get off the highway.
Obvious guy says charge to more than 55-66%?

And sheesh, WW? Just what car forums need is more daft abbreviations.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Obvious guy says charge to more than 55-66%?

Well... totally hypothetically speaking of course... without any prior experience... Imagine you drive from Ellensburg to Walla Walla (happy?) that puts you at around 15% charge if you leave with about 80%. If you charge on an L1 14 hours a day that's only 70 miles a day. If you spend a long weekend, again hypothetical scenario that nobody here has ever encountered, that's only 210 miles of charge or 66%.

There is only one "good" public L2 charger in Walla Walla. So if you don't have a destination charger it's a challenge.

The last time I tried to make a round trip from Ellensburg to Walla Walla and back I arrived with 5 miles of range even with opportunistic Winery destination charger charging and all night L1 charging.

Imagine you drive from Ellensburg to Walla Walla (happy?) that puts you at around 15% charge if you leave with about 80%. The last time I tried to make a round trip from Ellensburg to Walla Walla and back I arrived with 5 miles of range even with opportunistic Winery destination charger charging and all night L1 charging.

It’s only about 15-20 mins to get to Kennewick SC from 182.

Your intentional decision to skip charging in Kennewick both directions does not help your case at all. You're just not using sense. Every time I hear of things like this, where people choose to avoid using the Superchargers that are available to them and then complain about it, it just makes it more frustrating looking at the Boise to Bend route that is 300+ miles with NO Superchargers.

Your intentional decision to skip charging in Kennewick both directions does not help your case at all. You're just not using sense. Every time I hear of things like this, where people choose to avoid using the Superchargers that are available to them and then complain about it, it just makes it more frustrating looking at the Boise to Bend route that is 300+ miles with NO Superchargers.

Good sense is avoiding a 30 minute detour. Google maps says right now that Kennewick SC adds 25-30 minutes round trip to the highway.

The Kennewick SC isn't convenient. Adding 30 minutes to each trip just so that you can skip a supercharger that ... does in fact exist is silly. My point is Ellensburg is a very conveniently placed supercharger and when it's offline it is sorely missed for that route since its absence adds about 10% travel time. Which is a pretty substantial increase.

Well... totally hypothetically speaking of course... without any prior experience... Imagine you drive from Ellensburg to Walla Walla (happy?) that puts you at around 15% charge if you leave with about 80%. If you charge on an L1 14 hours a day that's only 70 miles a day. If you spend a long weekend, again hypothetical scenario that nobody here has ever encountered, that's only 210 miles of charge or 66%.

There is only one "good" public L2 charger in Walla Walla. So if you don't have a destination charger it's a challenge.

The last time I tried to make a round trip from Ellensburg to Walla Walla and back I arrived with 5 miles of range even with opportunistic Winery destination charger charging and all night L1 charging.
I get that there are lots of potential hypotheticals with driving trips. But I have no idea how random hypothetical trips to Walla Walla got inserted into this conversation, let alone with the WW abbreviation. Just seemed to come out of the blue.

• Disagree
Reactions: im.thatoneguy
Good sense is avoiding a 30 minute detour. Google maps says right now that Kennewick SC adds 25-30 minutes round trip to the highway.
Detour? The route goes right by Kennewick anyway! I cannot take you seriously if you're going to do this. Sure, it does work out to 16 minutes off the highway (total time 2:57 instead of 2:41) and maybe 10 minutes for the charging time, but you wouldn't need to do this in both directions. Charging once either on the way there or the way back covers it, so it's not 25 minutes each way.
The Kennewick SC isn't convenient. Adding 30 minutes to each trip just so that you can skip a supercharger that ... does in fact exist is silly.
Wait. You think we are the ones suggesting skipping a Supercharger? Now the word silly is applicable. That's not what happened. This moving of the goalposts is getting hard to keep up with. You said:
Imagine you drive from Ellensburg to Walla Walla (happy?) [...]The last time I tried to make a round trip from Ellensburg to Walla Walla and back I arrived with 5 miles of range
You were talking about starting from Ellensburg, and doing a round trip to Walla Walla and back with no charging. We're just suggesting using a Supercharger somewhere along the way, and Kennewick is the one along that route. So the Ellensburg Supercharger wouldn't have entered into it anyway, since it's only the start and end point, not anywhere along the round trip you were proposing.

FFS. Ok since people can't bring themselves to read a full conversation and want to just pull random snippets out to suit their agendas. I'll refresh your short term amnesia of why we're talking about this.

Conversation summary:
IDax: Ellensburg is a critical Supercharger and its unavailability causes pain.
PLUS EV: You're wrong, It's easy to skip Ellensburg.
Me: Not if you are going to Walla Walla and back.
Chorus: Just drive 30 minutes out of your way and use Kennewick.

Yes you could stop in Kennewick but 15 minutes off the highway and 15 minutes back to the highway adds 30 minutes to a 4 hour trip. That's a huge diversion when Ellensburg is the "correct" charging stop. So PLUS EV is wrong, it's not "easy" to skip Ellensburg if you are going to Walla Walla and back without an overnight destination charger. And Walla Walla is one of the most popular destinations in eastern Washington.

TL;DR; IDax is right, Ellensburg is an important supercharger to many routes and Cle Elum is not a usable substitute unless you somehow consider a 30 minute diversion convenient.

Reactions: IdaX
Wait. You think we are the ones suggesting skipping a Supercharger? Now the word silly is applicable.

Anti Gaslight quotes:

[Ellensburg is] so strategically located though that it’s hard to bypass, even with Cle Elum online.

Ellensburg is 25 miles from Cle Elum. It's not that hard to avoid.

The problem is coming from south east washington. If you leave WW with 55-66% charge or so you can just barely make it to Ellensburg. If you need to make it all the way to cle-elum you have to stop in Kennewick which adds a lot of time to get off the highway.

Last edited:
FFS. Ok since people can't bring themselves to read a full conversation and want to just pull random snippets out to suit their agendas. I'll refresh your short term amnesia of why we're talking about this.

Conversation summary:
IDax: Ellensburg is a critical Supercharger and its unavailability causes pain.
PLUS EV: You're wrong, It's easy to skip Ellensburg.
Me: Not if you are going to Walla Walla and back.
Chorus: Just drive 30 minutes out of your way and use Kennewick.

Yes you could stop in Kennewick but 15 minutes off the highway and 15 minutes back to the highway adds 30 minutes to a 4 hour trip. That's a huge diversion when Ellensburg is the "correct" charging stop. So PLUS EV is wrong, it's not "easy" to skip Ellensburg if you are going to Walla Walla and back without an overnight destination charger. And Walla Walla is one of the most popular destinations in eastern Washington.

TL;DR; IDax is right, Ellensburg is an important supercharger to many routes and Cle Elum is not a usable substitute unless you somehow consider a 30 minute diversion convenient.
I wasn't wrong. I never even mentioned Walla Walla. You did. And in doing so you created a strawman so you could beat it down. And you didn't even do that very well as Rockky points out, it isn't hard to go to Kennewick. And WW is one of the most popular destinations in Eastern Washington? I doubt it's in the top 10.

I wasn't wrong. I never even mentioned Walla Walla. You did. And in doing so you created a strawman so you could beat it down. And you didn't even do that very well as Rockky points out, it isn't hard to go to Kennewick. And WW is one of the most popular destinations in Eastern Washington? I doubt it's in the top 10.
There aren't even 10 destinations in eastern Washington.* And it's not a strawman just because it's not one of your needed uses. You really like to generalize your very unique experiences with blanket statements about what everyone else does or does not need.

*Spokane, Yakima, Wenatchee, Tri Cities, Pullman, Walla Walla and Ellensburg.

And again it's absurd to say a 30 minute detour is "not hard".

• Disagree
Reactions: PLUS EV
Currently 19 min without any traffic. + parking, plugging in, unplugging, leaving the parking lot and traffic at higher traffic times. Hence 25-30min.
Screenshot_20190401-083600~2.png

I was there on Monday afternoon and charged just fine, about 100 KW initially. There were two others ther, so not too bad. I had enough range to skip Cle Elum and I prefer the food choices in EB. My outbound trip on a Thursday morning was great, only vehicle charging. I think Cle Elum has definitely helped.

Anyone driven through in the last couple of days? Heading to Walla Walla tonight and deciding between Ellensburg and CleElum (CleElum would require an extra 5-10 minutes of stop). Are all the pedestals working again?
Those 5-10 mins may turn into much longer because it’s a busy weekend. Go Cle Elum. I was there early morning today and it already had a few Teslas charging at the same time. Ellensburg may be full or you’ll likely get a paired stall.