Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Elon’s tweet does not match engineering reality per CJ." - CJ Moore, Tesla's Director of Autopilot Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The OP used the redacted line that is not in the actual document as the title of the thread. The CA DMV redacted the line because they acknowledged that the line did not actually come from CJ.
But the unredacted document doesn't have it as a direct quote from CJ. People need to read it in context: "DMV asked CJ to address, from an engineering perspective, Elon’s messaging about L5 capability by the end of the year. Elon’s tweet does not match engineering reality per CJ."
On the call they asked about L5 capability by the end of the year and CJ said it's not happening. Seems very simple to me!
What is the alternative theory? That CJ said, yes, L5 is happening this year? Or that he said nothing? What is the evidence for this theory?
The DMV probably redacted the line because they felt it might prevent Tesla employees from being able to have frank discussions in the future if publicly disclosed. Clearly it's very upsetting to a lot of people here.

I think anyone thay believes Tesla will have L5 at the end of the year is beyond delusional. Clearly the head of the autopilot teams agrees. Arguing over why that quote was used in an article doesn't change anything. I wish I was wrong, but I doubt it.

Reactions: DanCar
That's a problem for the DMV and Tesla. If I were representing Tesla then I would have to be very cautious around Migel/DMV as he's put words into a Tesla employee's mouth and published them in supposedly official DMV docs. I think I'd be easier and safer for everyone were Migel/DMV not involved.

By law, Tesla is not allowed to deploy autonomous driving in CA without the approval of the CA DMV, so Tesla has to deal with the CA DMV whether they like it or not.

Migel/DMV and CJ Moore/Tesla were on the call (or whatever they used to communicate). You weren't on that call and neither was I. No one speculating on this thread was on that call so we're left to read what was written.

That money quote attributed to CJ/Tesla was fraudulent. They supposedly redacted it, but the thing about docs is that they're persistent. Who knows when Migel/DMV will get confused and start putting words into someone else mouth again. Tesla can point to that quote and have justifiable reason not to communicate with him at all, except through writing.

The DMV talked to CJ Moore. I’m not sure why this is so confusing to people. Does it really surprise people that the head of Autopilot doesn’t think that Tesla will be at L5 this year?

Some of you truly believe you're a telepath, clairvoyant, or whatever and can read people's minds. Maybe just like Migel/DMV before the redaction. Some of you might even have extract special TSLAQ powers where you can read the ether from a call that took MONTHS ago... :rolleyes:
/sarcasm if it wasn't completely obvious

• Disagree
Reactions: gearchruncher
That's a problem for the DMV and Tesla. If I were representing Tesla then I would have to be very cautious around Migel/DMV as he's put words into a Tesla employee's mouth and published them in supposedly official DMV docs. I think I'd be easier and safer for everyone were Migel/DMV not involved.

Migel/DMV and CJ Moore/Tesla were on the call (or whatever they used to communicate). You weren't on that call and neither was I. No one speculating on this thread was on that call so we're left to read what was written.

That money quote attributed to CJ/Tesla was fraudulent. They supposedly redacted it, but the thing about docs is that they're persistent. Who knows when Migel/DMV will get confused and start putting words into someone else mouth again. Tesla can point to that quote and have justifiable reason not to communicate with him at all, except through writing.

Some of you truly believe you're a telepath, clairvoyant, or whatever and can read people's minds. Maybe just like Migel/DMV before the redaction. Some of you might even have extract special TSLAQ powers where you can read the ether from a call that took MONTHS ago... :rolleyes:
/sarcasm if it wasn't completely obvious

You're accusing Miguel of putting words into CJ's mouth with zero evidence. If you read the document it is clearly an account of a conversation, not a transcript! What evidence is there that Miguel's interpretation of what CJ said is incorrect?

The CA DMV regulates autonomous vehicle testing in the state. Taking an adversarial stance would be a bad idea for Tesla (just look how it worked out for Uber's AV testing program back in 2016). Personally I think the DMV is giving Tesla a very long leash right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: diplomat33
That money quote attributed to CJ/Tesla was fraudulent. They supposedly redacted it, but the thing about docs is that they're persistent.
I am still getting a total kick out of this! This is a thread about how Elon's tweets don't match reality, and we're picking on a DMV employee for something he said in a memo that got FOIA'd, as if we are used to laser precision from Tesla communications. I can easily say:

That money tweet by Elon was fraudulent. He deleted it, but the thing about tweets is that they are persistent.
That date on Tesla's website was fraudulent. They deleted it, but the thing about websites is that they are persistent.

You keep saying this was an "official" DMV doc. You know that is not true. This was an internal memo recovered via FOIA. You've never been imprecise in your emails? Elon has never been imprecise in his tweets? Why are you holding the DMV employee to a standard much, much higher than the Technoking?

All you can talk about is the messenger here, because you know you don't want to talk about the fact that it's true that Tesla engineering reality does not match with Elon's tweets, and the more you can distract from that, the better for your narrative. It doesn't really matter who said it, if it was a direct quote, or anything else. The sentiment is there, and it's true.

How about you post some evidence that the general idea that Elon's tweets and Tesla's engineering reality are well aligned, and then we can discuss if it was "fraudulent" (which requires intent, and obtaining something of value)

Last edited: