Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SuperCharger "hopping" in the nav/maps section. Will route you to the nearest SC based on current charge remaining, totally automatic and should allow you to "skip" and ignore etc...
Since it affects the whole fleet this a great feature!

But the entire fleet doesn't have nav. And driving habits differ. Doesn't make sense. Free charging at SC's for all does.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't be that, because that would not affect entire fleet.

Why not? Can't a software upgrade grant access to the SC's? Serious question. I'm not an owner yet so I don't know how access to super chargers work.

Interesting. Scheduling a press conference hints more towards range expansion than navigation. Perhaps partnering with BMW to unify the high speed charging network?

I like both of them.

I'd love more range, but I'd guess that another 5-10% (or whatever can be squeezed) isn't exactly going to end range anxiety...

Ill go with a major partner in charging leading to significant expansion of the supercharger network.

I think not. All 85s have access, so that sort of update wouldn't affect them.

However, if you're right, the huge beneficiary would be the owners of 40s! Supercharging is not available to them at all.

Right. All 85s do but not all 60s. This isn't going to be some HUGE announcement, I don't think. But free access for all at the SC's would affect the entire fleet. I think it could be done via software. And would be a major buzz for Tesla before the model x drops in a few months. Great publicity. Now ALL cars can drive across the nation for free. New SC's being opened all the time. Makes sense to me.

Battery swap.

OTA is the SW component required to enable/allow battery swapping. Think of the SW needed to enable super charging.

Ill go with a major partner in charging leading to significant expansion of the supercharger network.
Neither of which is achieved via an OTA update for the entire fleet, unless there's a few thousand battery swap stations or partner charging stations out there that we don't know about.

I think "Ending range anxiety" is a bold statement, especially if the goal is to increase demand. John Q Public ICE driver will still have range anxiety (even if they don't know it's called that) without 500 mile batteries, 5 minute DCQC, and SC's as common as gas stations, because that's the model that John Q Public lives by (right or wrong), at least until they are properly educated on how EV's really work.

If they can enable supercharging for the entire fleet via OTA update, then they can enable navigation for the entire fleet via OTA update. Both are equally possible I'd say.

Sure it is possible but driving habits vary greatly. So just having nav isn't necessarily going to ease range anxiety. If you are pedal to the metal all the time that doesn't ease range anxiety. Knowing that you have free access to SC's would more than just having nav.

Right. All 85s do but not all 60s. This isn't going to be some HUGE announcement, I don't think. But free access for all at the SC's would affect the entire fleet. I think it could be done via software. And would be a major buzz for Tesla before the model x drops in a few months. Great publicity. Now ALL cars can drive across the nation for free. New SC's being opened all the time. Makes sense to me.
I'm still not with you. I didn't typo when I said 40s. The 40 kWh cars currently don't have access to Supercharging unless they upgrade the car to 60 kWh. This could be done, but it's currently a $10K upgrade. If Tesla doesn't upgrade the 40s, the current Superchargers are spaced too far apart for 40s to use them.

In any event, improving Supercharger access to 60 and 40 kWh cars doesn't make me feel like range anxiety has ended.