Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
If it turns out that the announcement is free supercharging for all, that just confirms my first rule about buying anything from Tesla - don't buy more than what you need today, since it'll probably be cheaper tomorrow. HPWC, adding a second charger, (possibly) supercharging for a 60. I think there are more examples, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

I'm still not with you. I didn't typo when I said 40s. The 40 kWh cars currently don't have access to Supercharging unless they upgrade the car to 60 kWh. This could be done, but it's currently a $10K upgrade. If Tesla doesn't upgrade the 40s, the current Superchargers are spaced too far apart for 40s to use them.

In any event, improving Supercharger access to 60 and 40 kWh cars doesn't make me feel like range anxiety has ended.

are you saying that 40kw engines cannot access super chargers at all? Apologies if so - I did not know that. Maybe with a software upgrade they now can! Or is it something hardware related that makes them ill equipped? Increasing the amount of SC's will help get them into range.

Irregardless, I wouldn't bet that this announcement is going to be so ground breaking that the EV world will be turned upside down. It is a software update. Not like suddenly all Teslas will have 500 miles of range. I guess we will find out what it is in 4 days!

Since most of us already have nav, this wouldn't effect the entire fleet, just those that don't have nav.
Press release usually means partnership, likely partner is someone like plugshare or some other charging network incorporated into the map.

Effects the whole fleet can be done OTA, I wouldn't say it has anything to do to limit range anxiety since you still have to wait at the charger, it would at least prevent you from having to pull out your phone, maybe provide some options.

Plugshare? Really? Is that even useful? Can't remember the last time I needed to use a public charger to reach my destination. J1772 is soooo slow in an MS85. For my LEAF of course I use Plugshare all the time, it's great. Not for a Tesla.

Might it be free access to all Blink and ChargePoint chargers? It certainly eliminates range anxiety, but not time anxiety (e.g. sitting at a 30amp slow charger for 5+ hours) . . . unless Elon is also including free-for-life Starbucks vouchers. :wink:

Plugshare? Really? Is that even useful? Can't remember the last time I needed to use a public charger to reach my destination. J1772 is soooo slow in an MS85. For my LEAF of course I use Plugshare all the time, it's great. Not for a Tesla.

The Roadster owner who stopped at my house last Thursday to charge at 240v/70amps would disagree with you. :) He found me on PlugShare.

Ending range anxiety is probably a bit of an over-the-top statement, but here are my thoughts:

1) Hypermilers often pulse their engines to stretch range. Apply a pulse input of power, then shut the engine off. We know that AC Induction motors require current to induce the magnetic field to enable the rotor to spin--so currently, when cruising on the highway, power is being continuously used.

Laptops are able to microsleep--essentially put processors to sleep for very short periods, when able--leading to significant battery power savings.

Based on what they've learned with the Ds, perhaps they've found a way to pulse the motor when significant changes in power are not required (such as when cruising on the highway) to improve efficiency. A way to torque sleep or microsleep the motor, even if you have just one. Perhaps it could potentially lead to "real" highway miles of 300+ for an 85?

(Of course, this would not *end* range anxiety--just a thought).

2) A much later Supercharger taper is a possibility, if the battery chemistry has been found to be able to handle it.

3) Software battery swap support also seems likely.

If just a change to navigation software, it doesn't seem like that would support a press conference. I don't think Elon would call a press conference simply for new features in a software update.