Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The really, really classy move by Tesla would be to enable NAV on all cars and then reimburse everyone who bought the tech package with something, such as one extra free scheduled service, perhaps a "coupon" on accesories or what-not.
Realistically, if they release an update that only impacts cars with NAV, then they make NAV available as an option that can be purchased, the requirements of impacting every Model S will be met. Personally, I'd gladly shell out $500 to get NAV enabled (that's the number my wife threw out yesterday, so I went with it!).

You can have accurate trip energy prediction without navigation available to the user the way evtripplanner does it (Google). Add a Tesla guarantee that if you use this new tool you won't get stranded - Tesla pays for the tow.

I predict the marketing headline: "Tesla guarantees you won't get stranded!"

The definition of firmware should be read carefully. Actually firmware is software for devices like microprocessors and other integrated circuits. But firmware is software not hardware.
Generally speaking, firmware is both hardware and software -- hence the naming.

- - - Updated - - -

I also wouldn't be surprised if somebody in his organization is assigned to post here once in a while, not as a shill, but to help manage expectations. Perhaps Elon himself does it.
I'm not sure if "assigned" is the right word, but Mr. Blankenship has posted on TMC a few times.

You can have accurate trip energy prediction without navigation available to the user the way evtripplanner does it (Google). Add a Tesla guarantee that if you use this new tool you won't get stranded - Tesla pays for the tow.

That's a brilliant idea. Tesla could guarantee a free flatbed tow or a on-site charge if you get stranded. The actual frequency of said strandings is so low that the cost would be trivial compared to the peace of mind owners would enjoy. It's like those million mile oil guarantees, very few actually claim on the warranty but people buy into the peace of mind.

History lesson

Elon Musk - 4/13/2013:
...The "big announcement" was the opening of the first 6 superchargers in CA (more than a year after SuperChargers were first announced), and the promise of an upgrade of SuperChargers from 90kW to 120kW....
Interesting example. This announcement was to have "entire fleet" impact. While it technically "affected" the entire fleet by affecting the "supercharger ecosystem", IIRC a supermajority of the then fleet still cannot charge above 90 kW to this day.

That's a brilliant idea. Tesla could guarantee a free flatbed tow or a on-site charge if you get stranded. The actual frequency of said strandings is so low that the cost would be trivial compared to the peace of mind owners would enjoy. It's like those million mile oil guarantees, very few actually claim on the warranty but people buy into the peace of mind.

I hope it's not this. I agree that the frequency of strandings must be very low and I would hate for the contrary perception to be exaggerated. I wouldn't want a new value proposition to lead the lay public to believe that people are needing tow's all the time.

What about rent-a-superbattery at Mcd. Pre-charged and same size and weigth 150kWh battery pack, using latest of the latest battery tech., compatible with 40, 60 and 85 S. OTA update all Model S to accept this new super-battery.

Maybe someone already suggested this, if so, sorry. Perhaps it is revised upper charge and lower discharge limits. If they were conservatively set, then with experience they could be expanded. That would give EVERYONE more range, with just an OTA update. And significant enough to be worthy of a press release.

Maybe someone already suggested this, if so, sorry. Perhaps it is revised upper charge and lower discharge limits. If they were conservatively set, then with experience they could be expanded. That would give EVERYONE more range, with just an OTA update. And significant enough to be worthy of a press release.
It's been suggested a few times. It doesn't do anything for range anxiety, though.

Say Tesla ups the available capacity from around 80 kWh to around 85 kWh - that would be an additional 16 miles of range. Maybe it would cut down the number of instances of range anxiety by 10% or something, but it would hardly eliminate it.

Increased efficiency also does nothing for range anxiety. The Model S is currently somewhere in the area of 90% efficient. Even if Tesla were to increase efficiency to 95% (almost theoretically impossible), that's at most 15 miles.

Last edited:
I perused quite a lot of this thread and didn't see any post this exact thought so here goes: What if those with auto-pilot are granted a new option to allow GPS to control throttle most of your trip. Assuming the data and calculation of GPS is almost perfect, and they add a 3% buffer or whatever is necessary, I think this is well within reason. Then you can plug in your destination to the car, or even your phone!, and be immediately assured of whether you will reach your destination prior to leaving your garage. If you are going on a multiple-leg trip via superchargers it will still take everything into account.

The hole in my theory - For longer trips traffic and accidents will make this very difficult. I can see a 10 - 15% buffer required.

In my experience this is already the case. I ran out of juice once in the Roadster (semi-deliberately as I wanted to test the limits) but a quick call to Tesla service and an appropriate flatbed came to take me home.

My money is on fancy routing + some range extension. Can't wait for Thursday 17.00GMT (is that the right time?)

...One thing that has intrigued me is that VisibleTesla reports shore current (going into the charge port) and battery current, and they are not close when the car is charging. I've noticed that the battery current is typically around 50% of the shore current...

The reason that the battery current is around half of the shore current is that the battery voltage much higher than the shore voltage: the same power at a higher voltages takes less current. Of course, the current is also a bit less due to charger losses and battery heating/cooling.

Isn't it obvious? Tesla is planning to offer free counseling services to any prospective and current Tesla owners work through any range anxiety they may be experiencing. (I hope the sarcasm is obvious) :biggrin:

On a serious note, early last year, Tesla said faster charging and greater range would happen, and Elon made a vague confident sounding comment about 500 miles of range being likely. Also, JB 2 years ago JB Straubel said he expected it would be possible to fully recharge a Tesla in under 10 minutes. Maybe this week is when one of the two things happens?

"Straubel says that the current 120-kW Supercharger “seemed pretty crazy even 10 years ago” when conventional chargers delivered under 10kW. So, maybe this theoretical 720 kW Supercharger is possible…in time."

Tesla Says Sub 10-Minute Supercharging is Possible | Inside EVs

Elon Musk May Use 'Wonder Material' Graphene To Push Tesla Performance To The Next Level | Forums | Tesla Motors

Forget about range anxiety. Elon Musk says a 500-mile range Tesla is coming soon | Digital Trends

Last edited: