Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "About to end range anxiety"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having Tesla doesn't mean you have to drive like crazy and mostly people use Tesla in city where speed 40 mph quite enough
in my opinion most people will like having ECO mode with low dynamic but with doubled range

Fair, but in the US, if you are taking a 900 km journey, your route will invariably include freeway/highway driving. Going 40 MPH in the US on an interstate is simply unacceptable. I don't know about Kazakhstan though so maybe for you it would be useful.

Or a third regen mode: Standard - Low - Off
Sometimes things are really as easy as 1-2-3.

you don't want regen off, you just want the ability to glide more.

As a hypermiler you want to be able to easily control the car between these states

propulsion (energy flow from the battery to the motor to the wheels)

gliding (neutral) which is better than

regen (energy flow from the wheels to the motor to the battery) which is better than

regen + friction brakes which is better than

friction brakes only

It isn't that we want to turn off the regen, we just want to reserve regen for braking and use neutral more without changing the gear selection. We want the car to be smart enough to do it for us or we want the controls designed well enough that we can get it into a neutral energy flow without fighting the system wanting to regen when we don't want it to and we don't want the system disabling regen when we want it on.

Having Tesla doesn't mean you have to drive like a crazy and I think mostly people use Tesla in city where speed 40 mph quite enough
in my opinion most Tesla drivers will like having option to choose "ECO mode" with low dynamic (10 sec 0-60 mph) but with doubled range (900 km)

Doubled range?! It won't happen. Bear in mind, the IDEAL range that they advertise is constant speed ideal temp, flat road. Except by really slowing down, you can't do better than that.

It would sure be nice, though.

Not to be overly critical, but isn't that essentially "all you need is <extremely difficult thing>"? How do you convey that information to the driver in a way that doesn't require them to have their eye glued to the energy gauge? Even now, it's essentially impossible to discern even if you do watch the gauge: the zero point actually includes enough regeneration to combat the AC/electronics power consumption. In contrast, coasting in any other vehicle is simple and intuitive: you're not accelerating, and you're not braking, so you simply don't push the accelerator or brake.

If the goal is to replace regeneration with coasting, inventing a new feedback mechanism for the driver to do so with the accelerator seems like overkill when the alternative is not only dead simple, it's also something every driver is already familiar with.

What I'd do is change the accelerator pedal mapping curve or use software to detect.

Curve wise you just widen the dead band in between the motor providing power to the wheels or providing power to the battery.

Software wise you can try and determine when the user is modulating the pedal between propulsion and regen back and forth and tell the motor to idle / go neutral until there is a change in input.

Fair, but in the US, if you are taking a 900 km journey, your route will invariably include freeway/highway driving. Going 40 MPH in the US on an interstate is simply unacceptable. I don't know about Kazakhstan though so maybe for you it would be useful.
I am talking about "in city" use. I think you agree with that having a city car with 600 miles per charge is a good option

Having Tesla doesn't mean you have to drive like a crazy and I think mostly people use Tesla in city where speed 40 mph quite enough
in my opinion most Tesla drivers will like having option to choose "ECO mode" with low dynamic (10 sec 0-60 mph) but with doubled range (600 miles)
And plus you always can go back to "INSANE mode" and punish everyone.
Personally, I'd like to see it go to no regen at highway speeds, but I don't like the thought of having to switch back and forth every time I want to switch from city speeds to highway speeds, then back to city speeds.

Having Tesla doesn't mean you have to drive like a crazy
Since you post this in response to my comment let's just state clearly here that driving the speed limit is not "drive like a crazy". Driving well below the speed limit, however, may be just that. Certainly it's quite dangerous.
and I think mostly people use Tesla in city where speed 40 mph quite enough
But in a city you have constant acceleration / slowing down for traffic, so this isn't realistic, either.
in my opinion most Tesla drivers will like having option to choose "ECO mode" with low dynamic (10 sec 0-60 mph) but with doubled range (600 miles)
And plus you always can go back to "INSANE mode" and punish everyone.
Yes, if that was even remotely possible, I'm sure there are many who'd appreciate that. But given my 25k+ miles of having driven a Tesla, for 99% of the time I got nowhere near using the dynamic range the car had to offer, yet I barely ever manage to get better than rated range, let alone twice that.
I know, this is a wild speculation thread, but let's keep the wishful thinking somewhat constraint by reality.

Alternatively I'll submit that Tesla has secretly built nuclear reactors into all of the cars and will enabled them via firmware tomorrow - so from now on not only do cars no longer have to charge, they can also provide electricity for your house...

- - - Updated - - -

I am speaking about ideal range too. Reality is different of course. But anyway this method can dramatically increase the range on a single charge
In realistic driving conditions no it cannot.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally, I'd like to see it go to no regen at highway speeds, but I don't like the thought of having to switch back and forth every time I want to switch from city speeds to highway speeds, then back to city speeds.
I believe there are a lot of us here who love the single paddle driving and would hate to lose that capability. So no, I don't want that.

I am talking about "in city" use. I think you agree with that having a city car with 600 miles per charge is a good option
Actually, for my needs (and I suspect most of our needs) a "city car" with 600 miles per charge is irrelevant. The only time I need more than 200 miles or so is when I'm driving out of the city to someplace distant, and for trips like that one drives on an interstate highway where 40 mph would be unacceptable and possibly illegal, and furthermore there are an ever-increasing number of Superchargers. For "city car" use the car will charge up in my garage every night.

If in your case you may actually go 600 miles between charging opportunities, then I can see your interest in such a solution, but I think you would be the rare exception rather than the rule.

Actually, for my needs (and I suspect most of our needs) a "city car" with 600 miles per charge is irrelevant. The only time I need more than 200 miles or so is when I'm driving out of the city to someplace distant, and for trips like that one drives on an interstate highway where 40 mph would be unacceptable and possibly illegal, and furthermore there are an ever-increasing number of Superchargers. For "city car" use the car will charge up in my garage every night.

If in your case you may actually go 600 miles between charging opportunities, then I can see your interest in such a solution, but I think you would be the rare exception rather than the rule.
I think its more marketing things than practical. You are right we almost never use all range in one day. But in my opinion Elon wants to stop speculation that electric car goes less on a single charge than petrol car. Marketing)

The only time I need more than 200 miles or so is when I'm driving out of the city to someplace distant, and for trips like that one drives on an interstate highway where 40 mph would be unacceptable and possibly illegal, and furthermore there are an ever-increasing number of Superchargers.
This would be the cause of my range anxiety..

Although the MS is quite capable for long trips, I foresee the MX being used more for cross country travel (retirees, family vacations, etc.). Many MX owners may not want to rent or retain ICE vehicles for this purpose and they should not have to.

Heck, with the expansion of autopilot on highways, I see leisurely driving to avoid airport drama.

Elon has done the math and there may still not be enough SCs to satisfy the need. I expect the announcement will bridge the gap.

These are exciting times.

Good point, though the idea still could be applied to old-school cruise control. It would be less satisfying, granted.

Since I am planning a trip from Pittsburgh down to Charlotte this weekend, which spans something like nine possible superchargers, at which I must stop at a minimum of five or six, I have been thinking how much I would *love* a feature that would optimally route me through these superchargers, minimizing my overall drive time, and simply informing me what maximum/cruise speed I should set to make the next leg. As you say, I wouldn't need TACC for that at all. And it would DEFINITELY reduce the range anxiety I am having as I plan my SpC stops using EVTripPlanner.

And unfortunately I will be on the road by the time the press conference starts, and wouldn't be able to download any new software even if it was instantaneously pushed!

Since I am planning a trip from Pittsburgh down to Charlotte this weekend, which spans something like nine possible superchargers, at which I must stop at a minimum of five or six, I have been thinking how much I would *love* a feature that would optimally route me through these superchargers, minimizing my overall drive time, and simply informing me what maximum/cruise speed I should set to make the next leg. As you say, I wouldn't need TACC for that at all. And it would DEFINITELY reduce the range anxiety I am having as I plan my SpC stops using EVTripPlanner.
I'm thinking that this is exactly what we'll hear tomorrow, or at least one piece of it.

Since I am planning a trip from Pittsburgh down to Charlotte this weekend, which spans something like nine possible superchargers, at which I must stop at a minimum of five or six, I have been thinking how much I would *love* a feature that would optimally route me through these superchargers, minimizing my overall drive time, and simply informing me what maximum/cruise speed I should set to make the next leg.

I've made a similar trip, but in Europe, from Norway to Belgium (1600km / 1000mi), and indeed such a feature would have been of huge help, since I drove past more SuCs than needed, and always wondered what was the best combination of driven distance / SuC stops...

My biggest range challenge is when I actually arrive at my destination. For example, I drove from SF to Big Basin with no problem. The issue was that I could barely make it BACK to the Gilroy SC to fill back up because there were so few chargers near my destination. I had a similar problem in Santa Monica.

My biggest range challenge is when I actually arrive at my destination. For example, I drove from SF to Big Basin with no problem. The issue was that I could barely make it BACK to the Gilroy SC to fill back up because there were so few chargers near my destination. I had a similar problem in Santa Monica.

Were you able to charge overnight? Or was this a day trip?

Right, automatic routing through SpC is definitely useful and I too believe this will be a part of the announcement. Worthy of a press conference by itself, though? Doubt it. As many have already mentioned people who don't own a Tesla assume we already have this capability. So it would kind of be a "no, duh" moment for the press and public.