Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon almost has me convinced...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously, Elon's on a tear trying to convince everyone to go buy a Model S, rather than wait for the Model 3. One minor unintended consequence is that he may be convincing those of us that have a lower spec Model S that were planning to "upgrade" to a performance version of the Model 3, that we should just eschew the 3 in favor of our current rides. I intend to reserve judgment until I can see a M3 in person, but what was a sure thing is now 50/50. I am one of the people who really liked the nose of the alpha car and the aggressive lines. I don't like the softer nose at all from pictures, but pics can lie. Now that performance and all-wheel-drive are being pushed out, I may just hang on to the 70D. It's a stellar car in every way, so it's not like it's a consolation prize:) I really did think that the M3 was going to come with an amazingly cool augmented reality display and I still think that was the plan when Elon made his spaceship comments. I don't really care about that and the single display is ok with me, but I definitely want PXXD. All in all, I'm sure the M3 will be great, but I'm just not sure it will be better than my 70D. Still can't wait to see one though!

i agree...i think HUD was in Elon's original plans, but it was scrapped to simplify a launch that has already exceeded his expectations in terms of reservations.

I think keeping the car simple for now also enables them to continue sales growth as these tax credits phase out. Come mid 2018, I think we'll see a HUD in the S/X which will trickle down to the Model 3 just in time to give added value to those who are no longer able to get a tax credit.

i agree...i think HUD was in Elon's original plans, but it was scrapped to simplify a launch that has already exceeded his expectations in terms of reservations.

I think keeping the car simple for now also enables them to continue sales growth as these tax credits phase out. Come mid 2018, I think we'll see a HUD in the S/X which will trickle down to the Model 3 just in time to give added value to those who are no longer able to get a tax credit.

Sheesh. That would really piss a lot of people off.

Nope, not in Elon's plan at least not on reveal night when the driver clearly stated no 2nd display. Starts at 1 minute mark.

That's a fair amount of mind reading there... I bet everyone wishes they could read Elon's mind :)

jenkins.jpg

I think Elon has been BSing on this issue. Really in terms of the most important technological features, Model 3 will not be significantly different than Model S. It will have the same AP suite as the Model S.

The part about Model S being superior driving is total BS. A BMW 3 always drives better than a BMW 7, because it's lighter. A model 3 is lighter, so will be the better handling car unless they use shitty suspension.

Yes, a Model S will be quieter, smoother, etc, but I prefer a sports sedan.

The HUD was never mentioned by Tesla at all. It was always speculation.

I think Elon has been BSing on this issue.

The part about Model S being superior driving is total BS.
The $35K price point doesn't leave a lot of runway. Cutting out costs for a vehicle that is 50% list price of the base Model S, yet only 20% smaller has to come from multiple areas. It's not just aluminum and batteries.

EM had to be concerned about the expectations around the Model 3 and it being a "baby S". This is Expectations Management 101.

I expect more Volkswagen, less Audi....

Elon can't go saying things now that would reduce Model S sales that would otherwise happen between now and Model 3 mass production. Even if he really wants to. Not the financially smart move.

Some would call that salesmanship, others would call it other things.

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Based on everything I have seen and heard, I think they are playing around with HUD, but at least for the moment, there are no plans to roll it out to any models. Perhaps at some point it will be added as an option to some models, which may or may not include the 3. I will say the 3 is a strong candidate though, because it looks like it will have a really low dash compared to other cars, and that means more windshield real estate for a HUD. Just more speculation of course.

With Elon's recent statements it appears to be a reminder to customers the S will always be more luxury than the 3. BMW 3 to the 7 as we have talked about ad nauseam . Add me to the S owners waiting to see a 3 up close before making any decisions