Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon and Ukraine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: ElectricIAC
This guy won't be invited again:

That's an interesting video. They are just bringing in their strawmen to beat up. He'll be invited again and again.

But there is a bit of irony in this whole war that this video illustrates. Fundamentally, I believe that Putin is correct that the "hegemony of the West" is over. But the way that Russia is performing in this war so far is reinforcing the opposite perception.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Well yeah, given Russia has annexed Crimea for 8 years and nobody - I mean literally nobody who's crying against Elon - has lift a finger to free it from Russia, it's not hard to conclude that this is the status quo everybody can accept.
Ukraine never accepted Russia's annexation of Crimea (nor have others), and given they are now in a better position to take it back, they likely want it back. Elon instead is proposing officially give it to Russia, none of the various players (other than Russia) ever suggested Ukraine to do that.
All small details, doesn't change the fact that he didn't propose to give these land to Russia.
Yes he did, see above. Those are not "small" details either, it's the core reasons why none of the free world accepted Russia's sham referendums.
Those people are hypocrites and idiots who are against literally anything Elon does, their opinion is irrelevant and wrong as I have proven numerous times. Should be obvious that there're a few idiots in Elon thread that will dunk on him no matter what he does, they're no different from TSLAQ and thunderf00t.
Not true at all, plenty of people support Elon's ventures and accomplishments in other sectors and still are opposed to his posts on Twitter.
And I don't see any way you can measure the backlash accurately at this point, we'll know more once some polls come out.
You can always argue against the metrics, but I already pointed out factual measures on the backlash against Elon vs against that letter.
They implicitly implied it, and they didn't get a strong opposition because they caved in under 24 hours, Elon's initial poll probably lasted longer than that.
That doesn't help Elon's case, now does it? If Elon saw the response, apologized immediately, then it might have been less of an issue. Instead he doubled down, which only made matters worse. That is not a good thing.
As for Elon's tweet getting wide coverage, how is this surprising? The main stream media is willing to do anything to discredit him, the whole Rahul Ligma episode should make it abundantly clear.
I think it's specious to suggest that the mainstream media is out to get him. When he does positive things, he got wide coverage too (like when he first announced Starlink in Ukraine), and in this case the flip side applies too.

Well yeah, given Russia has annexed Crimea for 8 years and nobody - I mean literally nobody who's crying against Elon - has lift a finger to free it from Russia, it's not hard to conclude that this is the status quo everybody can accept.

Many countries leveled sanctions on Russia after the 2014 invasion. NATO also started training the Ukrainian army. During the last 8 years Ukraine's army transitioned from a poor Soviet style army to a professional NATO style army. The world, Russia included thought Ukraine was going to fold like it did in 2014 back in February, but the people who had been involved in training the Ukrainians had other predictions.

Mark Hertling was among them. He's a retired US general who was involved in this training regime and he saw the growing professionalism in the Ukrainian ranks.

The sanctions on Russia did not force them out of Crimea, but they did hurt the Russian economy. Russia sank from the world's #7 GDP to around #11.
GDP by Country - Worldometer

All small details, doesn't change the fact that he didn't propose to give these land to Russia.

He did say
"- Crimea formally part of Russia, as it has been since 1783 (until Khrushchev’s mistake)."

Line one of the Budapest Memorandum of 1994 says
"Respect the signatory's independence and sovereignty in the existing borders."

Budapest Memorandum - Wikipedia

Russia was a signor and Crimea was part of Ukraine then.

Those people are hypocrites and idiots who are against literally anything Elon does, their opinion is irrelevant and wrong as I have proven numerous times. Should be obvious that there're a few idiots in Elon thread that will dunk on him no matter what he does, they're no different from TSLAQ and thunderf00t.

And I don't see any way you can measure the backlash accurately at this point, we'll know more once some polls come out.

They implicitly implied it, and they didn't get a strong opposition because they caved in under 24 hours, Elon's initial poll probably lasted longer than that.

As for Elon's tweet getting wide coverage, how is this surprising? The main stream media is willing to do anything to discredit him, the whole Rahul Ligma episode should make it abundantly clear.

I don't dunk on him for everything. I always acknowledge that someone can be a genius in one area and an idiot in others. He has done some good things, but he's also done some things that shoot himself in the foot. Some of his ideas are really bad.

Lately most of his ideas have been bad.

His secret weapon that led to his successes is to go back to basic principles and build from there. That led to the SpaceX innovations, the success of Paypal, and made Tesla the first new viable car company in decades.

However it looks like he's abandoned the basic principles approach and instead is just winging it thinking his brilliance will win out.

Elon didn't ask Ukraine to give up territory, he doesn't have the power to do that.

Elon doesn't have the power to impose anything on any of the countries involved. He certainly has the power to make suggestions. And given his following on Twitter, he has some degree of influence on the American electorate.

He had the same right as anybody to express his opinions, and we have the same right as anybody to criticize his opinions as reckless, foolish, and harmful.

It’s funny that what Elon suggested was also suggested by France’s president Macron, according to Zelensky:

French President Emmanuel Macron asked Ukraine to give up some of its land to reach a peace deal with Russia, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy suggested in an interview with Italian television.

Speaking late Thursday to public broadcaster RAI, Zelenskyy responded tetchily to a question about Macron’s idea that Russia should not be “humiliated” in a peace settlement, lest it might fuel resentment leading to a new war.

It was in the early stages of the war and Macron has since changed his tune. But there was much less uproar than when Elon suggested more or less the same. I guess not everyone is being held to the same standard. Elon needs to be perfect.

It was in the early stages of the war and Macron has since changed his tune. But there was much less uproar than when Elon suggested more or less the same. I guess not everyone is being held to the same standard. Elon needs to be perfect.
So Elon trotted out an older bad idea but shouldn't be criticized for doing so?