Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon "Anti-Selling"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have thousands of songs in one small USB thumb drive.

It's much more convenient than carrying all those CDs.

You did not read what I wrote: She does not want to fiddle around with stuff like that. I started to show her how the USB port worked. She left halfway into my demonstration. Too much to remember. Too complicated. (And I sorta agree with her.)

...Too complicated...

I agree that it is quite a hassle to convert CDs onto USB flash drive (I prefer .flac format).

May be you can hire a teenager to do that step.

Once you skip that step (because someone does it for you), just plug it in and push the right upper steering wheel button and say:

"Play Put a Little Love in Your Heart" and it'll play it for you!

The old saying, "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush" applies, Tesla would rather sell a car now to someone who is 1-2 years back on the Model 3 waiting list. Simple as that.

I'm in a similar situation as Ohmman; I like small cars, I already have a Model X and a Model S is more car than I need. I am quite confident that when I buy my Model 3 it will cost about the same as a base Model S. Don't worry Elon, you will make profit on me!

Reactions: AndreN
I doubt that the Model III will have a CD player.
No Tesla built now or in the future will come from the factory with a CD player.
And she does not want some plug-in device that will broadcast her CDs through the car's speakers.
If you could get her music onto her smartphone than it will play through the car speakers, no "plug" required. But maybe she doesn't have a smartphone.

I've searched and can't find a reference regarding your statement that Nissan will not be using active cooling in the next generation Leaf. What have you found?

I've watched and read numerous interviews with the former president (Palmer) no longer with Nissan and the former CEO (Ghosn) both who repeatedly said no active cooling will ever come in future versions of the leaf. They mentioned quanties they wanted the sell, pricing, and such. Basically said if they added active cooling it wouldn't be the Nissan Leaf anymore they'd rebrand it and charge more.

You can't google for anything useful about the upcoming Leaf for two reasons:

* UK users call the 2013 Leaf "gen 2" and that pollutes the search results
* Clickbait websites have run useless "gen 2" content free articles for so long you can't find real content for all the noise.

If I could easily find the content I remember I'd bother to link a few but as is it would take me hours of scouring old threads just to find what I'm looking for. For example I could reread the hundreds of pages of the "Leaf 2 what do we know" thread on mynissonleaf.com but it would be a chore I wouldn't wish on an enemy with some of the misinformation and denial you'd have to skim through and the sheer number of off topic posts.

Ghosn just stepped down in Feb 2017 so I don't think they can switch gears and add active cooling if the car design is locked in for the release.

I suppose it is possible something changed since the last time I saw Ghosn say it wouldn't. No way of knowing for sure until we see a product released with or without it.

Last edited:
I've watched and read numerous interviews with the former president (Palmer) no longer with Nissan and the former CEO (Ghosn) both who repeatedly said no active cooling will ever come in future versions of the leaf.
I remember reading an interview with the Chief Engineer of Nissan in charge of the upcoming next Gen LEAF who definitely nixed the idea of active liquid cooling although I cannot be positive about air ventilation. It stuck in my memory because he was adamant that the general idea of using heat capacity was sound, and even better with the upcoming bigger battery.

The thing with Nissan is that their design spec appears to rather clearly call for ~ 70% remaining capacity by year 8 of ownership. Expensive TMS systems are probably not needed to reach the end of warranty, and that is all they are shooting for.

I agree that it is quite a hassle to convert CDs onto USB flash drive (I prefer .flac format).

May be you can hire a teenager to do that step.

Once you skip that step (because someone does it for you), just plug it in and push the right upper steering wheel button and say:

"Play Put a Little Love in Your Heart" and it'll play it for you!

And I'm 73. I put my CDs on a flash drive, only 600 songs or so. I prefer to let it play them shuffle. That's even easier. It's too bad people don't want to learn. My wife, also 73 today, programmed her Fit bit and her iPod shuffle over the weekend. I helped maybe twice.

I don't believe one bit as compared to the current S because once it's nicely equipped the Model 3 will be around the neighborhood of $50K-$60K. At those prices people have a certain expectations.

What can they really take away that the current S has?

They can't take away a powered lift gate because that's too common
They can't take away heated seats because that's too common
They can't take away awesome seats cause they don't have awesome seats to take away
They can't take away the heated steering wheel because the Bolt has one.
They can't take away awesome lights because the Model S/X doesn't have this

They can make it slower
They can have it have less range than the 100D.

In some ways they're in a bit of a pickle because a lot of us bought the Model S knowing full well we were going to move to the Model 3. Where we got the Model S because of what it offered despite being the size of spaceship.

So I think they'll try to maintain the appeal of the S by offering things like Tesla Glass, and much better suspension. We'll probably see a redesign to allow more room inside the interior. Maybe a butt, and foot massager. Hopefully a heated/cooled cupholder. One would think the Model S would have this.

So I imagine in a couple years once I do switch to either a new Model S or a 3 that there will be some appeal to both. If they do screw up the 3 by not matching up with my expectations in a $50K car I'll switch to back to Audi. The thing about cars like the A8/7 series/etc is the luxurious niceties are what separates it. If a Model S was properly competitive to those cars in terms of luxury I would have very little interest in it. The ideal car for me has always been the 3 series, or the Audi S4/S5. Something nice without being insane.

This is what I know so far.

Poll: Model 3 Dissuasion?

You can actually also connect a USB floppy disk drive to a Tesla. You know, if floppies are your thing. Unfortunately plug and play. :)

In all seriousness, though, I do wish Tesla would provide a USB port, say, in the glove compartment and a storage net in the "roof" of the glove comparment. That would allow people to plug in stuff like this and keep it out of sight. Some do prefer to have a mass storage device for example. That would be a universal solution that wouldn't seem too 20th century. :)

Because I don't expect that to happen, the next best suggestion is placing some USB device in the big area of the center console and running the USB wire there in place of the phone dock cable (one should be able to run it using the same "line" underneath the cubby hole "carpet"). That should at least be out of sight.

Reactions: ohmman
You can actually also connect a USB floppy disk drive to a Tesla. You know, if floppies are your thing. Unfortunately plug and play. :)

In all seriousness, though, I do wish Tesla would provide a USB port, say, in the glove compartment and a storage net in the "roof" of the glove comparment. That would allow people to plug in stuff like this and keep it out of sight. Some do prefer to have a mass storage device for example. That would be a universal solution that wouldn't seem too 20th century. :)

Because I don't expect that to happen, the next best suggestion is placing some USB device in the big area of the center console and running the USB wire there in place of the phone dock cable (one should be able to run it using the same "line" underneath the cubby hole "carpet"). That should at least be out of sight.
There are 2 usb ports under the part where you sit your phones. The question I have is: Are these just power ports or are they data ports?

Last edited: