Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Apps and Google Chrome in the Model S by late-2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
as long as I can play Angry Birds on it while driving, then the Model S will complete me.
Or you might complete* it... as in you might fuse together when you wreck it while playing.

* This post expresses no opinion on the legal, moral, ethical, or religious ramifications of "fusing" with an inanimate object in this fashion.

There might only be an installed base of 25k users, but who says native Tesla apps would have the Android pricepoint? If the apps cost $25 or $50 instead of $1, would that change a developers thinking?

Based on what I have observed from owners on this Board, I consider it likely that some of us would pay those amounts for some well-executed native apps (like Spotify or Waze).

OMG Waze. I would pay for that.

- - - Updated - - -

There might only be an installed base of 25k users, but who says native Tesla apps would have the Android pricepoint? If the apps cost $25 or $50 instead of $1, would that change a developers thinking?

Based on what I have observed from owners on this Board, I consider it likely that some of us would pay those amounts for some well-executed native apps (like Spotify or Waze).

OMG Waze. I would pay for that.

Whatever happened to this thread? Is the idea of getting Google Chrome and third party apps now dead?

I am sorry if this has been answered already but I cannot find any definitive answer. Any insight that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Whatever happened to this thread? Is the idea of getting Google Chrome and third party apps now dead? I am sorry if this has been answered already but I cannot find any definitive answer. Any insight that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I believe you were unable to find a definitive answer because...there isn't one. Unfortunately, we are still waiting to see what happens with this issue...

I think this just ended up as another thing Elon promised and then left at the table when the company got distracted chasing something shinier. We may see it again, but with as long as the (IMO disappointing) 6.0 software took to get to us, I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think this just ended up as another thing Elon promised and then left at the table when the company got distracted chasing something shinier. We may see it again, but with as long as the (IMO disappointing) 6.0 software took to get to us, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Certainly seems that way. It also seems like they're a real risk they get beat to it by GM. They've been pretty aggressively updating their infotainment systems, adding LTE connectivity in their cars, etc.

While Tesla has committed not to making major hardware changes for the next year - they could provide a "road map" of planned software functionality. Even without dates, they could do this - and it would assure Tesla's current and future customers of what to expect - and that Tesla is committed to at least close the gap on missing features - present in other cars, at all price points.

Isn't it ironic that with the Silicon Valley connections - Tesla continues to underperform on their software...

At this point, I can't help but wonder if Tesla is now devoting most of its software development work to Autopilot features and related user interface requirements to implement Autopilot.

One of the things that the IHS electronics teardown showed was that Tesla has developed many of its own electronics and presumably the firmware/software for those devices. While that has benefited us by providing some industry leading interface items, I expect that also hinders new development -- especially given the relatively small size of Tesla and the number of projects it is working on.

Tesla's hardware/software environment is not unusual for "systems" - with multiple processors and a combination of custom and off-the-shelf components.

A challenge all software groups face is balancing delivering major new features vs. finishing out previously introduced functionality vs. fixing bugs.

Tesla's strategy appears to be to deliver just enough functionality to claim they have a feature - and then move onto the next new feature.

Instead of implementing the new calendar feature - couldn't they have invested that time if adding some of the functionality that's missing in the media playback and navigation software or in providing more customizability in the user interface?

Really... How hard could it be to add features like "random playback" or "repeat song"??? Playlists might be a little more complicated - but that's a basic functionality available on almost any device capable of playing MP3s...

Tesla's hardware/software environment is not unusual for "systems" - with multiple processors and a combination of custom and off-the-shelf components.

A challenge all software groups face is balancing delivering major new features vs. finishing out previously introduced functionality vs. fixing bugs.

Tesla's strategy appears to be to deliver just enough functionality to claim they have a feature - and then move onto the next new feature.

Instead of implementing the new calendar feature - couldn't they have invested that time if adding some of the functionality that's missing in the media playback and navigation software or in providing more customizability in the user interface?

Really... How hard could it be to add features like "random playback" or "repeat song"??? Playlists might be a little more complicated - but that's a basic functionality available on almost any device capable of playing MP3s...

I think Elon really wanted the calendar feature. Personally I agree with you. I don't find the calendar feature useful, and would have preferred the infotainment devs focused their time elsewhere.

At this point, I can't help but wonder if Tesla is now devoting most of its software development work to Autopilot features and related user interface requirements to implement Autopilot.
If it is really just a matter of resource allocation, then I'd say put as much resources on autopilot as possible, since that is a potential life saving technology. The earlier they get it right, the better.

(we can fiddle with our shuffle lacking music libraries while the car runs on autopilot ;-) )

Agreed 100%. The whole reason for this thread - that Tesla promise things but then just barely or not all all implement them and rush on the the next exciting thing in the software without properly finishing what they have in place - is the one thing that worries most about Tesla right now. Elon is a software guy, does he not understand this??? Or is there just not enough time with the reckless growth happening? Or is Elon a genious who has outsmarted us all: all their time is used on developing the SDK and as soon as this is out the aftermarket will fix any and all info-enter-tainment software you'd want with great qulaity?

Has there been any mention about the App Store, a 3rd party API or the Android emulator recently by Tesla or Musk?

Can't recall hearing anything - and now with the push to do "autopilot" - it could be like the focus Tesla had on sleep mode and battery management during 2013 - when not much functionality was delivered in the updates...

Has there been any mention about the App Store, a 3rd party API or the Android emulator recently by Tesla or Musk?

Can't recall hearing anything - and now with the push to do "autopilot" - it could be like the focus Tesla had on sleep mode and battery management during 2013 - when not much functionality was delivered in the updates...
Nothing that we've heard. Considering the autopilot functionality was able to be delivered earlier than they expected, that almost certainly means the SDK will be delivered later than expected. It was likely pushed aside from the original "Late 2014" estimate to get Autopilot up and running.

If GM commits to having their Android integration in the 2016 Volt, maybe we'll see some movement on this. I doubt Tesla will like conceding first mover advantage to a competitor when Tesla's nearly identical plan was announced years earlier. Otherwise, I doubt it has much, if any, priority.

Agreed 100%. The whole reason for this thread - that Tesla promise things but then just barely or not all all implement them and rush on the the next exciting thing in the software without properly finishing what they have in place - is the one thing that worries most about Tesla right now. Elon is a software guy, does he not understand this??? Or is there just not enough time with the reckless growth happening? Or is Elon a genious who has outsmarted us all: all their time is used on developing the SDK and as soon as this is out the aftermarket will fix any and all info-enter-tainment software you'd want with great qulaity?

Elon is NOT a software guy. He is a physicist that hacked together code for his first company, Zip2it, and then led another group of hackers at Paypal. Any developers who have actually used Paypal APIs realizes there is nothing elegant and forward thinking there.

Personally, I don't think he understands large complex software engineering systems all that well.