Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon asked Google to buy Tesla for 6bil in 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the comment I posted on GCR:

I've followed Tesla since the Roadster days. There is something that doesn't ring true about this story. Tesla was not hurting for money in Q1 2013. Tesla was hurting for more production in late Q3 in 2012. Elon came out and said that if production didn't increase to expected levels then the company would have serious problems. In Q4 and 2012 were behind on production but they hit the expected production levels at the end of the year. The car had already won MTCOTY and was winning every other award out there. Customers and reviews were ecstatic and customer satisfaction was high. There were thousands of orders out there just waiting on their car to be made. This says that demand was not there in Q1 of 2013, well past the critical moment.

It seems there are others here that had the same feeling. It just doesn't ring true to me.

This article disturbs me, because as customers, we had no idea that we may have been buying a product from a company that was on the verge of bankruptcy.

Having worked for an Internet startup during the tech bubble, I can say that the customer never really knows just how close a company can be to completely imploding.

That being said, there's no way to know right now whether this article and book are true or not.

I reserved my car in November 2012, when it was $5000. I remember listening to the Q4'12 conference call in early 2013 because I only had a few weeks left before my deposit became non-refundable and I wanted to be sure there would be a company to build the car. That production ramp absolutely almost ran Tesla out of cash, at a crucial time. Things like air shipping tires across the globe to avoid missed deliveries, retrofitting visors and floor mats, and detailing cars after delivery also didn't help. We had no visibility to reservation cancellations, but I don't doubt they happened, possibly driven by the NYT article and other bad/skeptical press. Anyone who got a 2012 car was making a gamble on their reservation, while also helping to make the car a reality. Only after the stock price shot up in summer 2013 and the secondary offering was done did the company have a firm leg to stand on.

I reserved my car in November 2012, when it was $5000. I remember listening to the Q4'12 conference call in early 2013 because I only had a few weeks left before my deposit became non-refundable and I wanted to be sure there would be a company to build the car. That production ramp absolutely almost ran Tesla out of cash, at a crucial time. Things like air shipping tires across the globe to avoid missed deliveries, retrofitting visors and floor mats, and detailing cars after delivery also didn't help. We had no visibility to reservation cancellations, but I don't doubt they happened, possibly driven by the NYT article and other bad/skeptical press. Anyone who got a 2012 car was making a gamble on their reservation, while also helping to make the car a reality. Only after the stock price shot up in summer 2013 and the secondary offering was done did the company have a firm leg to stand on.

my memory was Elon making that comment about air shipping tires, etc, when that phase had passed, and it was a crazy memory he could joke about, not in the midst of it being that chaotic and scary. to your main point, yes, Tesla was vulnerable in the summer/early fall of 2012... Elon Musk even ended an otherwise upbeat interview in September 2012 by looking at the camera and saying "we could fail," without the interviewer having raised this question at all (it was a Yahoo interview, and the last time I looked it's no longer available, but I distinctly remember it). As to Tesla's health, the first week of November 2012 was awesome for Tesla... Motor Trend unanimous Car of the Year, an exhausted sounding Elon had the following to say on their earnings call:

"And I should say, I mean, overall, I feel Tesla was really kind of past the point of high risk. Several months ago, I said I thought that the coming several months would be really the test for Tesla. And it's the classic phrase of, going through the valley of death, and I feel as that we are through that valley at this point."

and,

"There are no supply issues that I'm aware of right now, that prevent us from achieving at an annualized production rate of 20,000 vehicles a year, basically within next four, five weeks."

(and the guy who called Tesla a "loser" with about 50 million Americans watching did not win the presidential election).

I am skeptical this author has his facts and conclusions right. It makes me not want to buy the book. It seems to be an ongoing error for the media to confuse sales and deliveries with demand. He states "sales slowed to a trickle" which implies low demand and nobody wanted to buy the Model S. A more likely scenario is they were production constrained. There still were lots of people wanting to buy a car and on the reservation list. Its more likely that deliveries slowed in 4Q 2012 because of manufacturing issues, supplier issues and logistics of getting cars shipped and delivered to a customer's location of choice during the holiday. Suggesting that sales slowed because of door handle glitches and sun visor issues and that this caused Tesla to almost go bankrupt is ridiculous. I do have it from a reputable source that Tesla was indeed very low on cash during that time which is why Elon may have been looking for a possible contingency plan. If Broder's article was so damaging in Feb 2013 then how could Tesla possibly turn their first profit a month later? I could believe new reservations likely slowed a bit but would not have changed the production constrained scenario. Also saying the factory was shut down implies low demand as well. They could have shut the factory to retool/reconfigure the line for the ramp up of production. It seems the author is drawing many wrong conclusions for dramatic effect.

In the 2012 Q4 shareholder letter the company stated that a price increase was likely to cause an increase in Q1 cancelations:

...net reservations at year end, were over 15,000, up from about 13,000 at the end of Q3. New reservations continue at a steady, although slower pace in Q1 2013, as compared to December, due in part to the pull ahead of reservations into Q4 by customers seeking to avoid the price increase. Q1 cancellations are likely to remain elevated as the remaining older reservation holders are invited to configure their vehicles within a set timeframe or pay the higher price just like new reservation holders.
—Shareholder letter​

I would have loved to read a good book on Elon, too bad this BS story destroys any credibility it may have had. I toured the factory in February 2013 and it was certainly not shut down. And anyone can go back and review the TMC posts where people were raving about the car. If anyone was deferring back then, it was only because they wanted a 60, coils, or MC red.

There's no way the Tesla factory was shut down at any point in 2013. They spent the whole year trying to crank up production rates.

Now it's possible there were discussions with Google. But there's no way it would have been because the cars weren't selling. They had waiting lists up the wazoo.

The book author is seriously shooting himself in the foot. He has now firmly entrenched in the minds of loyal Tesla fans that the book is trash.

The world is CLAMORING for a solid Elon bio. All he had to do was write one - no sensationalization needed.

I don't doubt Elon had a backup plan in case Tesla ran out of cash (he had a backup plan for SpaceX), but that doesn't mean the company was THAT close to using it. And really, sun visors and door handles? There were reasons for possible soft demand back then, but not sun visors and door handles.

This article disturbs me, because as customers, we had no idea that we may have been buying a product from a company that was on the verge of bankruptcy. What was Tesla telling investors at the time? Surely there would have been a clear indication of financial trouble in the quarterlies and Tesla's forward looking statements. The other aspect of the Yahoo article that bothers me is the assertion that company executives hid the seriousness of the situation from their own CEO. How is it possible that Musk didn't know how bad things were until it was almost too late? That doesn't speak highly of his involvement with the company.

I disagree. I knew when we put a deposit on the Roadster that we might lose the money. I again knew that we might lose the deposit on the Sig model S. And even 6 months after getting the Model S, I knew that it was a great car but (like Fisker) I might one day have a lot of trouble getting service for it, since the Tesla business might not be successful, even though the cars were. I think I only got comfortable around the end of Q3 2013.

I disagree. I knew when we put a deposit on the Roadster that we might lose the money. I again knew that we might lose the deposit on the Sig model S. And even 6 months after getting the Model S, I knew that it was a great car but (like Fisker) I might one day have a lot of trouble getting service for it, since the Tesla business might not be successful, even though the cars were. I think I only got comfortable around the end of Q3 2013.
Truth be told, similar concerns were one of the reasons I ordered the HPWC with my Sig.

Darn. I was really looking forward to this bio on Musk when it came to my attention months ago. Now that I'm seeing this, I'm questioning the accuracy of whatever else he might have in the book. This is definitely twisting the truth. I also placed my order in November of 2012 and religiously followed this site and all Tesla news as it unfolded awaiting my delivery, and it's hard to imagine that this timeline of events is anywhere near the truth. Word of mouth was absolutely fantastic (niggling issues aside) and Tesla was always production constrained. I smell sensationalism to sell books here.

Truth be told, similar concerns were one of the reasons I ordered the HPWC with my Sig.

Let's face it, in the early days, when people had to plunk down the full price of a Roadster before Tesla had even started to build it, no buyer knew for sure that Tesla would be able to deliver them a car. When I ordered my Roadster I risked the smallest amount of money possible, getting a non-Sport version with minimal options. Once I had the Roadster, I was willing to put a deposit down on an S, but for similar reasons I waited until early in 2012 to convert to a Sig reservation. It was only when I ordered a P85D last October that I was able to do so without the slightest concern that Tesla might not actually deliver me the car.

But this article sensationalizes beyond recognition what is already a tale full of suspense and plot twists; it will make a fascinating read someday, when somebody tells the real story.

Let's face it, in the early days, when people had to plunk down the full price of a Roadster before Tesla had even started to build it, no buyer knew for sure that Tesla would be able to deliver them a car. When I ordered my Roadster I risked the smallest amount of money possible, getting a non-Sport version with minimal options. Once I had the Roadster, I was willing to put a deposit down on an S, but for similar reasons I waited until early in 2012 to convert to a Sig reservation. It was only when I ordered a P85D last October that I was able to do so without the slightest concern that Tesla might not actually deliver me the car.

But this article sensationalizes beyond recognition what is already a tale full of suspense and plot twists; it will make a fascinating read someday, when somebody tells the real story.
Early in 2013 is when they crossed the threshold IMO. Prior to then, there was risk of lawsuits or some other avenue signaling doom for Tesla -- and with it probably at least another decade for "EVs that I want to drive" to surface. It was easy to write off Roadster as "not for every man" and "a lucky concoction, a toy". (I don't agree, but a convincing-to-many argument could be made.) With the Model S, that argument is difficult to support. Expensive yes, but proof of what can be done -- at a physics and manufacturing level. Once they had a few hundred cars on the road, the threat to EVs was gone. Even a cursory attention to TMC after a few minutes in the driver's seat of a Model S made it clear -- if Tesla didn't survive, the enthusiasts at TMC and elsewhere would meet up with the ex-Tesla engineers and continue the legacy in some form. Pandora's box and all.

The period of time discussed in the article is one in which I feel I have a great deal of insight to offer.

My sense is that the author is talking about some real events that occurred, but the timing is a bit smushed around, and maybe some of the terminology being used is causing confusion as well. Also, I think that everyone involved is mythologizing and potentially blowing things out of proportion, the author included.

Anyways, I don't have immediate access to my notes, so this is all off the top of my head, to take it with as many grains of salt as you wish.

March Slowdown Contradicted By Facts

First, the author is talking about a sales slowdown in March. This obviously didn't occur in the technical sense that we think of here on this site, since we are familiar with the Tesla business model. Sales are only "closed" at, or shortly before delivery, and so by definition March of 2013 was a banner month which capped off a great quarter.

I was directly tracking sales at the time, and prior to the conclusion of the quarter in late March I saw an opportunity to change the prevailing media narrative, so I published a blog entry about this success, and then followed up with successful campaign to get the story out into the media (as I told the site admins prior to publishing the blog, I thought it only fair to publish on TMC instead of a regular news site because all of the data came from here).

Deferrals Were A Major Issue

However, there was another major Tesla story that was also apparent in the data during that quarter and the quarter following (which I did not feel like widely publicizing because it was not a positive story), and that was what appeared to be mass deferrals of existing reservations.

Without my notes and with the passage of time fuzzing my memory, I hesitate to discuss the underlying data that proved these deferrals occurred (or at least made it by far the most likely explanation for what was happening), but it did happen (I'll find the core links to my original posts if folks wish to debate this, but here are examples of the discussion, and the drop in wait times and the fact that the deposits were still on the books was fairly conclusive evidence that these were deferrals and not cancellations).

The cause of this was uncertain, and the ones discussed in the article are probably part of a spectrum of causes. My recollection was that the possibly illegal service contracts and how they implied that Tesla was not prepared to honor their warranty was a big issue that sort of encapsulated the many smaller issues.

Regardless, there was endless drama at the time and my sense in Q3-2012/Q1-2013 was that Tesla was acting like a company that didn't believe in itself and was setting itself to chisel as much money out of a small but devoted customer base as it could (a controversial statement maybe for Tesla fans, but as much as I love Tesla the whole service contract/warranty issue was evidence of pathology. I'll also point out that whatever I felt about Tesla's actions and what they indicated about their own level of confidence, *I* had confidence in their product and invested a substantial amount of money in them).

Anyways, mass deferrals was a fact. It happened, and it was a matter of concern to me at the time. The discussion in the article on this point rings very true to me, and the fact that it specifically mentions deferrals rather than cancellations goes pretty far in satisfying an itch that I've scratched for some time.

April Slowdown - Closed Factory

Next point. The so called March sales slowdown was bunk. The one in April was very real. I listed 1,300 sales in April, but the data was very sketchy for the month because Tesla had done some batches severely out of order (note my preliminary results were 1,700 (which was 90% assumption), but every time I looked back at it with more resolution sales looked weaker, and my strong recollection is that even 1,300 was giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt because I could not conceive of a reason for the factory to be shut down for more than a week).

The factory clearly did shut down at the beginning of the month, though I attributed it to the paint switchover and just assumed it did not last longer than a week. Based on this article I think it probably did last longer than a week, and my sense at the time that even 1,300 sales was being too generous was probably correct.

(Note: over long periods of time, tracking sales using VIN's was very accurate, but slicing and dicing the data into smaller time periods like a particular month, was somewhat less accurate.

Because of the peculiarities of the data in April I could not state how many deliveries there were with any precision at all, but I could do it with high accuracy over the time period of April to the first half of June, after which I was able to use a simple assumption to nail the actual production results of that quarter. However bad the April data was, May had a bit more confidence, and by mid June the issues had resolved, and the length of time it took those issues to resolve was the key indicator for an extremely weak April, a modest May, and a strong June.

Claiming 1,300 sales in April, 1700 in May and 2150 in June came from assuming week long shutdown at the beginning of April, followed by a production rate of ~400/week through May, and then upped to ~500/wk in June. But Tesla had clearly demonstrated a production rate of 500/wk in March, so I was further assuming that they had accomplished that with extraordinary means (overtime, etc) that they would prefer not to do on a regular basis.

But it was fundamentally a Tesla friendly assumption. The actual data points to most of the deliveries actually occurring after some time in mid May. If I just weight the data the way I see it it could easily fit a production rate from the start of April to mid May of ~275/wk (ignoring possible shutdowns) followed by an increase to ~500+/wk for the rest of the quarter. I do know that in early May I was shocked by the fact that Tesla hadn't overtaken my outliers from March and the very low production rates it potentially implied.

I stopped tracking sales at the end of June because it was clear that Tesla had started intentionally assigning VIN's in a way designed to defeat tracking efforts.)

Underlying Reservation Rate

What this doesn't tell us is how many new reservations were coming in. During Q1 Tesla aggressively worked to shut down our information channels that gave us insight into reservations. I maintained some insight into underlying reservations in Europe for some time afterwards thanks to an oversight on their part, but by the end of Q1 I am confident that we were effectively blind in terms of tracking new reservations in the U.S.

Fortunately, it didn't matter. Wait times dropped to a level consistent with there being no real wait list (which proved the mass deferrals, possibly 10k+ if I am doing the quickie analysis from memory correctly), so at that point deliveries were a direct proxy for new reservations, and so we could directly sample demand based on deliveries for the quarter. The whole notion of "production constrained" is misunderstood I think.

Tesla was making only a modest effort to make sales, and that effort was scaled to their production capacity, but after Q1-2013 it was never the case that there were huge numbers of people waiting in line for the car (at least in the U.S. where deliveries were actually occurring). Elon also gets an out on the whole "production constrained" issue because at the time there were also global wait lists that Tesla was not in a position to satisfy thanks to production constraints, though in that case it was more the case that they were not set up yet to produce those cars.

So What Really Happened?

There is a lot of data that could be used to support the general narrative in this story. I doubt that Tesla was ever in imminent danger of bankruptcy in March and in April their stock soared after they released their production results, and as a result of the greatly improved media environment, which gave them access to vast amounts of capital that were just unrealistic in March.

But it seems reasonable to me to think that Tesla was under intense stress, and the request for a $5b capital injection to build the gigafactory makes a lot of sense to me from a strategic standpoint. Until April 2013, a ~$5b capital raise was probably pure fantasy. Elon certainly didn't have the cash. His billions were much more of a theoretical exercise in early 2013, and not remotely liquid, so I could see Elon scheming to make a deal like this before the state change in April.

All of the color about executives not telling Elon "how bad things were" sounds like a bunch of nonsense. I'm sure there were some employees who felt the situation was dire. But Elon probably had a better sense of reality than they did, and their freakout about deferrals and his response to it sort of confirms it for me. These were deferrals, not cancellations. Fundamentally these people still wanted to buy the car, but were just on the fence for whatever reason. Pushing to close those sales is just CEO 101.

The bigger issue that is potentially buried in the story is the potential impact on NEW reservations. Based on April (and May, which wasn't particularly strong either) sales it seems clear that they had cratered as well. Working to close sales from existing reservations is one thing, but that is a finite resource. In the best case, closing all of those sales could not have carried Tesla for more than a couple of quarters. So we know that at some point the underlying reservation rate came back up.

My guess is that it came back up as a result of the improved media environment in April, when Tesla suddenly became a media success story, while Tesla simultaneously worked to eliminate the underlying problems with service and warranty concerns. I'm actually skeptical that closing sales on deferrals was ever a huge factor. The math on deposits never did seem to indicate a major movement to resolve deferrals.

But a quick uptick in new reservations following the positive media environment of early April is very consistent with a major pickup in production in mid May.

Edit: I should point out that the last time I tried to analyze reservations, the math still didn't seem to resolve unless you assumed there were still thousands of deferred $5k Model S deposits sitting on the books.

Last edited:
Thank you CapOp for that thoughtful analysis.

I think when certain "illogical" people suggest that Elon Musk tweets to prop up the share price, they're really missing the point: Elon Musk tweets positive news to avoid public negativity.

I can absolutely believe that Tesla had challenges up until the positivity from Q1 fed into the system. Tesla had been eating through the loan cash, and up until the Q1 results people were questioning Tesla's ability to manufacture the cars. Q1 was the turning point and it was then that people had the confidence that Tesla would survive.

My sense is that the author is talking about some real events that occurred, but the timing is a bit smushed around, and maybe some of the terminology being used is causing confusion as well. Also, I think that everyone involved is mythologizing and potentially blowing things out of proportion, the author included.

So What Really Happened?

There is a lot of data that could be used to support the general narrative in this story.

This is my general feeling on this subject as well. The Broder article came out Feb 8, 2013. Elon flipped out on Twitter. Later in an interview he quoted some numbers in terms of how many sales they lost as a result. I don't recall, but it was significant. It seems very believable to me that there was a brief period where Tesla ran very short on cash if they had to refund some deposits after that article, during a period where they were already running with a very small margin for error due to a difficult ramp up in production. It also helps to explain why Elon got so upset about the Times article. He's always been blunt on Twitter, but he was especially angry in regards to that article, and IMO went a bit overboard in suggesting it was deliberately faked.

And speaking of Elon on Twitter, if there were no truth to this story, wouldn't he have refuted it by now? He's done that in the past (the Wards Auto WSJ story on Oct 27th, 2014 comes to mind).

This is my general feeling on this subject as well. The Broder article came out Feb 8, 2013. Elon flipped out on Twitter. Later in an interview he quoted some numbers in terms of how many sales they lost as a result. I don't recall, but it was significant. It seems very believable to me that there was a brief period where Tesla ran very short on cash if they had to refund some deposits after that article, during a period where they were already running with a very small margin for error due to a difficult ramp up in production. It also helps to explain why Elon got so upset about the Times article. He's always been blunt on Twitter, but he was especially angry in regards to that article, and IMO went a bit overboard in suggesting it was deliberately faked.

And speaking of Elon on Twitter, if there were no truth to this story, wouldn't he have refuted it by now? He's done that in the past (the Wards Auto WSJ story on Oct 27th, 2014 comes to mind).

His bluntness is what I find so endearing about the guy. That said, it's been less than a day since the media picked this up, and maybe he doesn't feel he needs to refute it.

Wasn't there a scene in Who killed the electric car where EM walks into a large room full Roadsters sitting there needing repair & his jaw dropped in shock, I got the sense nobody had told him then.

That was "Revenge of the Electric Car" (the second movie) but I didn't get the impression he was shocked (as in didn't know), only that the repairs weren't being handled fast enough.

- - - Updated - - -

His bluntness is what I find so endearing about the guy. That said, it's been less than a day since the media picked this up, and maybe he doesn't feel he needs to refute it.

And there are some things that are better just left to die a quiet death. As far as I know, Tesla did very well in 2013.

CapOp, I appreciate your taking the time to write up your analysis and recollections.

Deferrals may have been putting more pressure on Tesla in the Spring of 2013 than I realized (fwiw, I'm not sure I understand what tipped this off to you from those links you shared, but I'm not sure it's necessary to go back into).

My BS flag is still way up on this author, as,

1) if there were a deferral situation, I find it unlikely the company was in a "death spiral," as he put it.
2) he attributed deferrals to the visor and door handle issues, without any mention of the Broder article (which was about shoddy journalism, not a Tesla misstep). I find his whole characterization of the early reception of the car very skewed.
3) he claims Tesla fired "senior executives" in this timeframe ("and promoted hungry junior employees"), I don't recall even one such firing in that time period. This is likely false, and just a way to suggest a desperate "death spiral" situation that never was.
4) I'm quite suspicious that the "the word of mouth on the car sucked" line he attributes to Musk, if Musk actually said this, was taken so grossly out of context as to completely change it's meaning. Word of mouth was certainly very strong on TMC.

Does any of this actually matter?

I think so. Today, already, Cory Johnson had the author on Bloomberg, and Cory was trying to portray this excerpt as revealing that Musk emphatically lies and hides the most critical information from investors. Bears will be buying this book and trying to do more of the same from a bookfull of stories. I think it's worth making it clear the extent the author's account is fiction.

Does any of this actually matter?

I think so. Today, already, Cory Johnson had the author on Bloomberg, and Cory was trying to portray this excerpt as revealing that Musk emphatically lies and hides the most critical information from investors. Bears will be buying this book and trying to do more of the same from a bookfull of stories.

Yahoo! Stock buying opportunity!!!!