Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon at it again on Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Really hate it when companies bring out an awesome show car and then you can never actually buy it. So lame."

We will see if the things that evolve are like the model x folding seat evolution or like evolving from 200 mile range to 300.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV
Other car manufacturers unveil concept cars that are much more sexy/sleek/tech-filled than then production version of the car.

Tesla, as we know, has the philosophy that the production version of a car should be more kick-ass than the "prototype". I think this is just Elon's way of communicating this to the non-tesla educated public.

350 is insane, i highly doubt that considering how much the model s costs to upgrade...

Brings up an interesting point considering the current range. I think a M3 85D will get around 270 miles EPA, the same as the current MS 90D. But if the 90 kWh battery is replaced for 100 kWh (MS 100D, P100D), the line up is balanced. The highest range and fastest acceleration is for the high end Model S, while the M3 P85D slots nicely in between the (P)100D and the 70D in terms of both 0-60 time as well as range.

- M3 60: 205 EPA, 0-60 in 5.7
- M3 60D: 215 EPA, 0-60 in 5.5
- MS 70: 230 EPA, 0-60 in 5.5
- MS 70D: 240 EPA, 0-60 in 5.2
- M3 85D: 270 EPA, 0-60 in 4.5
- M3 P85D: 250 EPA, 0-60 in 3.7
- MS 100D: 300 EPA, 0-60 in 4.2
- MS P100D: 280 EPA, 0-60 in 2.8

PS: Edited due to mixing up numbers
PS: Added the non D models

Last edited:
I'm guessing Part 2 will end up with even better 0-60 times, and of course even more range....potentially taking it closer to 350 miles ? Among other things.....

I would expect that they would hold off on talking about anything that would hinder Model S/X sales in the interim because they can only come some 18+ months from now... like better range through higher energy density batteries. I wouldn't be surprised if even that 300+ mile range option that was leaked today isn't supposed to be revealed until closer to production.

Reactions: cdub
If the car was done and design was locked in, they could build them sooner than almost two years. So of course things will be tweaked, added, and changed. No surprises there...

Not so sure about that. I think they have a lot of work to do getting the production line built, getting the gigafactory producing cells for the packs, etc. Even if the design was 100% done today (which I am sure it is not) they still have a lot of work in front of them to be ready for production.

"Really hate it when companies bring out an awesome show car and then you can never actually buy it. So lame."

We will see if the things that evolve are like the model x folding seat evolution or like evolving from 200 mile range to 300.
They will like the evolution of nose cone, auto doors, panoramic windshield, mono post seats etc which made the car much better than prototype.

"Tomorrow is Part 1 of the Model 3 unveil. Part 2, which takes things to another level, will be closer to production."

"You will see the car very clearly, but some important elements will be added and some will evolve."

Tweets with replies by Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter

Maybe "another level" has meaning to it?

- trim levels such as battery capacity and luxury trims most likely
- level such as the horizontal bars that represent the Letter E with possibly 3 variants of the vehicle on a single "skateboard" - sedan, coupe/hardtop vert, cuv
- maybe the same skateboard will also be the basis of the new roadster (or a hardtop convertible as in point above
- adding a second floor to the gigafactory and thus output would take it literally to increase production capacity beyond previous disclosures.
- charging rates are also measured in level with level 1, 2, and 3. Maybe a more readily available or faster charging level 3 using onboard supercapacitors to allow for rapid supercharging (gas station like time) to ease concerns of supercharger wait times

Endless speculation...

Since there is so much hullabaloo about the nose; it would be quite funny if they had a disguised big grill, or something ugly, on the front via a picture first; then something closer to real on the car when revealed. I could just hear the gasps now.

Ever since Elon said not everything would be revealed at launch, to me that just screams APv2. It's well known that Mobileye will have their EyeQ4 ready late 2017 (sound familiar?). They won't be ready to reveal that at a launch tomorrow because it's too early. There really aren't many other big things that could warrant a second reveal short of the Y (or other potential model 3 versions).

Obviously all of the exact details won't be available for the launch tomorrow (all battery sizes, prices, exact 0-60 times, etc.), but the the car's design will only change slightly from what they reveal tomorrow to release. This is exactly what happened with the S and X and I would expect no different for the 3.

We'll be seeing the "alpha" version of the car tomorrow. Just like in software, the difference between alpha and launch is how fleshed out all the details are. The overall styling won't be drastically changed, nor will the size or other key features revealed tomorrow.

I look forward to seeing what Tesla's vision is for the model 3 tomorrow!

Reactions: mikevbf and cdub
Ever since Elon said not everything would be revealed at launch, to me that just screams APv2. It's well known that Mobileye will have their EyeQ4 ready late 2017 (sound familiar?). They won't be ready to reveal that at a launch tomorrow because it's too early. There really aren't many other big things that could warrant a second reveal short of the Y (or other potential model 3 versions).

Obviously all of the exact details won't be available for the launch tomorrow (all battery sizes, prices, exact 0-60 times, etc.), but the the car's design will only change slightly from what they reveal tomorrow to release. This is exactly what happened with the S and X and I would expect no different for the 3.

We'll be seeing the "alpha" version of the car tomorrow. Just like in software, the difference between alpha and launch is how fleshed out all the details are. The overall styling won't be drastically changed, nor will the size or other key features revealed tomorrow.

I look forward to seeing what Tesla's vision is for the model 3 tomorrow!

AP2 hardware/software will also for sure be released on an updated S & X before the III. They won't allow the III to have technology that newer high-end S & X models don't have. That would doom their high margin models. So we'll see some of it likely before Model III part 2 ;-)

The first year ramp could be 25,000 or 50,000 or more M3. Doesn't matter as long as they provide guidance and meet it.

Further, there's a factory waiting to be built in China which will double output.

I am optimistic that a handful of Model 3 will ship in late Q4 2017. I don't know that I would want to own them *grin* but they will ship. And 2018 will be a great year.

Besides, it'll take that long for the Supercharger Wasteland along I-10 from Tucson to San Antonio to be filled - and the longer they fail to deliver, the fewer SCs it will take. Win win! For the impaired, it will be pretty cool to see improvements not only in range but in charging technology. I don't know about gas station times in the middle of the desert, but any improvements can only help user adoption outside the metropolitan areas, and that's a Good Thing.

Mm, a commenter on Reddit had an interesting theory: "next level" may refer to level-three or level-four autonomy, as defined by the NHTSA. That list describes the S as "level-two" at the present time, since it's highway-capable but not sensible for surface streets as yet; it'd make sense for Autopilot v2, whenever it's released, to be the next step up.