Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: auto shift will come to all Tesla cars with FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • The car predicts with direction it should go, so, if you agree, all you need to do it tap the brake than hit the accelerator to be on your way
But that's the thing: checking what the car predicts takes just as long as tapping the stalk in the direction I want to go.

In another life I did UI design, and one of the golden rules was to make the behavior of the system predictable where possible, so humans can develop "motor memory". If I have an imperfect system making predictions, it is no longer predictable. And after 3 years of owning this car I wouldn't trust it not to miss a pole in front of the car or something. And if it makes the wrong prediction, correcting it via the screen is much more cumbersome than what we have now.

Does anybody know how it behaves if you have obstacles both in front and behind, e.g. when you're parallel parked?

But that's the thing: checking what the car predicts takes just as long as tapping the stalk in the direction I want to go.

In another life I did UI design, and one of the golden rules was to make the behavior of the system predictable where possible, so humans can develop "motor memory". If I have an imperfect system making predictions, it is no longer predictable. And after 3 years of owning this car I wouldn't trust it not to miss a pole in front of the car or something. And if it makes the wrong prediction, correcting it via the screen is much more cumbersome than what we have now.

Does anybody know how it behaves if you have obstacles both in front and behind, e.g. when you're parallel parked?
I find that not to be the case. The car very clearly indicates what it is planning on doing in the instrument cluster so you see it as soon as you get in and check you seatbelt--it is natural in your line of vision, so its not an extra thing you need to do.

My experience in ambiguous circumstances (i.e. empty parking lot, parallel parked) is it will pick forward.

Reactions: mark95476
I find that not to be the case. The car very clearly indicates what it is planning on doing in the instrument cluster so you see it as soon as you get in and check you seatbelt--it is natural in your line of vision, so its not an extra thing you need to do.

Thing is- the thread is about this feature coming to the 3/Y.

Which don't have an instrument cluster directly in line of sight.

Reactions: diplomat33