Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon: Autopilot, new constraints on when it can be used

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can't we just block the update? I don't think the car can update itself without us manually updating it, right? I know some people who are still on firmware 6.x
Tesla can force and update if they want. They did that after the fires from people hitting foreign objects in the road. They forced an update that eliminated the car shifting to low suspension setting at speed.

Tesla can force and update if they want. They did that after the fires from people hitting foreign objects in the road. They forced an update that eliminated the car shifting to low suspension setting at speed.

No, they didn't force it. I kept the original on until about two weeks before the upgrade that allowed low again was out. Of course, I had to decline it daily, but they didn't force the upgrade. They do have the technical capability to do so but I don't know of any instance where they did without the owner's permission.

I really hope they don't constrain it. I will sign an agreement either electronically or on paper that I will abide by the agreement that I accepted prior to activating autopilot if it would prevent this from happening. I use my autopilot as intended and I would be greatly disappointed if what I paid for and now have, was downgraded due to foolish behavior by some drivers. I think a better idea is to identify, deactivate and refund the money to folks who are not going to bide by the agreement they electronically signed.
Geo-fencing might be the answer if Tesla mean the AP to be used on freeways.

So what happens if you use it on surface streets (responsibly) and the agreement says not to use it on surface streets at all?

Then that'd be on me and if something went wrong I would be responsible, not Tesla, and I'm good with that.
I think that if you are using it outside of the agreement that you already signed electronically by accepting restrictions prior to activating, then you are doing so at your own risk and Tesla would not be held liable.

Last edited:
Geo-fencing might be the answer if Tesla mean the AP to be used on freeways.

I think it would be against their interest to geofence it to freeways only because it already works very well on freeways: they would get no further useful learning / beta-testing / real-world experience. Also, if they really wanted to keep it off of, say, well-engineered suburban two-lane roads, they wouldn't have equipped it (as they have) with the ability to learn and adapt to turn lanes, intersections, etc.

I think it would be against their interest to geofence it to freeways only because it already works very well on freeways: they would get no further useful learning / beta-testing / real-world experience. Also, if they really wanted to keep it off of, say, well-engineered suburban two-lane roads, they wouldn't have equipped it (as they have) with the ability to learn and adapt to turn lanes, intersections, etc.
Are you saying that learning is not happening if the AP is not active?

This is what we get for people making videos doing stupid things. We all end up paying by having nice things taken away from us.

I really hope it is not much more than the occupant sensor.

If they add nagging or limit greatly when Autopilot can be activated it would be a real shame and I suppose we can then thank all those people who made stupid videos.

Thanks to the idiot and selfish bunch, that have to exercise their egos and show off, who have just ruined it for the rest of us. Now Tesla will clamp the feature down. I can't blame them. I'd clamp it down too because of that behavior. What choice does Tesla have?

Very, very unfortunate for those of us who are mature and responsible. It will end up stifling innovation.

I think we all saw this coming. A lot of people used it in dangerous or scary ways and that brought a lot of negative press. Their hand was forced. They pretty much have to do something now or *when* (to be clear, there will be one eventually) there is an Autopilot accident the plaintiff will point to all these videos and say "You knew this was going on and you did nothing."