Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon backtracks (again): will layoff Hourly workers including those supporting FSD program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you point me to a source besides your own feelings that Tesla sales are slowing that's not production related? Like show me sources where we have Tesla piling up unsold and being discounted.

I am in the market for a Model Y, would love to find one at a discount to be delivered immediately..checkbook ready.
A quick inventory check at Tesla shows a ton of used Y’s available for purchase now.

You will never find a Tesla at “discount”. I thought everyone loved their direct to consumer, no haggle on pricing, model? What gives?

Here’s the memo from Elon on slowing sales this quarter:

Anything else I can Google for you?

A quick inventory check at Tesla shows a ton of used Y’s available for purchase now.

You will never find a Tesla at “discount”. I thought everyone loved their direct to consumer, no haggle on pricing, model? What gives?

That link says Nothing about slowing sales. Only part shortages and pushing to keep up with demand. Used cars have no bearing on demand.

Reactions: Sandor

Yeah, you can Google the narrative you are trying to spin. China shut down for 3 weeks which is the root cause of the "tough quarter" as said in his memo.

Also these used model Ys cost more than new ones...where is this demand cliff? Do you know how economics work?

It's like Steve Jobs and Apple.... they kicked him out ... and they spiraled down and were on death's door until they brought him back. Yes, now they are hugely successful, but they re-built the company around the "Think like Steve would" culture.
I agree with you in theory, but remember that, while, yes, Apple was dying without Steve Jobs, Steve Jobs was also dying without Apple. I mean Next? Please.

Reactions: Ramphex
There isn't.

Also, the layoff cycle seems pretty typical. Hiring surge, and then clean out the tiny minority that are not working out.

Layoffs from a company that needs "all hands on deck" to "deliver a record quarter," operating at 30+% margins and expects to grow 50% annually for the rest of the decade?

He was willing to risk everything to dominate the EV market. And it paid off. Before Tesla, EVs had limited range because companies claimed people only needed 50-100 miles range for commuting.

He also took a loss on cars to gain traction. I'm not saying another CEO won't be better, but we wouldn't have the model 3 and Y for the cost we have today, I think.

I think if Tesla gets a marketing department and Elon can be educated on proper communication strategies, things would be better. But that's not going to happen. 😁
Elon is great at creating new markets and new products in beta form. Tesla cars are beta cars, imo. They're great but not quality like MB or Audi. Not that they should be either. Musk has created the beta market. But let someone else take over after the beta market has been created.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Mom and Sandor
Elon is great at creating new markets and new products in beta form. Tesla cars are beta cars, imo. They're great but not quality like MB or Audi. Not that they should be either. Musk has created the beta market. But let someone else take over after the beta market has been created.
I think you said it in your third sentence. If Tesla cannot move with the market, then Mercedes and Audi will take customers away from them when they develop their own EVs. Competition is a good thing for us. Right now, Tesla is still the #1 EV in the world, according to several magazine and Consumer Reports studies. But the other luxury companies are not standing idly by. We're going to see Mercedes, BMW, VW, all making high-end EVs, and even Hyundai, Kia, Toyota (reluctantly, as they're pushing fuel cell) getting in on EVs are the mid-market.

It's exciting for us, as the consumers, to see where the industry is going. Let's hope Tesla stays nimble enough to keep their ranking at the top.

Tesla cars are beta cars, imo. They're great but not quality like MB or Audi.
Not convinced by that statement after my Audi 4000 engine cracked on the bay bridge long ago and was too expensive to fix. I never considered another Audi after that, though lots of people have good luck with them. My MX is starting on the 6th year and hasn't broken down yet. :) I would never consider an MB for lots of reasons. I'll stick with my MX.

Reactions: T-Mom
I agree with you in theory, but remember that, while, yes, Apple was dying without Steve Jobs, Steve Jobs was also dying without Apple. I mean Next? Please.
Sure, but that wasn't my point. It was that at the time Apple WAS Steve Jobs... and without him, it wasn't Apple. It doesn't matter that Jobs may have also been struggling. If Elon struggles without Tesla, albeit unlikely, that has no bearing on whether Tesla would struggle without Elon

This is also all lining up with my prediction that the fate of FSD Beta (Autosteer on City Streets) program is Elon saying "We had it solved but regulators basically shut us down before we could put the finishing touches on it and roll it out." But I'm sure he will remain positive about Tesla Robotaxi in the dedicated autonomous hardware that will be "groundbreaking" when it rolls out by the end of 2024.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Probably fired most of the internal testers since there are now what... 100k sheep that PAY HIM to test the FSDb out in the wild? Guys a genius businessman, nothing like getting people to show up to work for free, and then also one upping it so those people pay him so they can show up to work for free :D
You don't beta test much, do you? :) It's quite common in recent years for a software company to sell a product before it's officially released (pre-order) and give buyers early access to an alpha or beta version which they can test and report issues. They paid for the software and got to test and help make the software better. Microsoft and Apple do this as well with preview versions and developer versions so that people can test and report issues with updates. Very common with the iPhone. Google does this with Android as well.

I totally respect your personal choice if you don't want early access to test updates for some software you've purchased. However, hundreds of thousands of people beta test software for free every day. It's inappropriate to call them all "sheep".

Probably fired most of the internal testers since there are now what... 100k sheep that PAY HIM to test the FSDb out in the wild? Guys a genius businessman, nothing like getting people to show up to work for free, and then also one upping it so those people pay him so they can show up to work for free :D
Or you don't have to guess.

People laid off were labelers since they have an autolabeler now.