Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Canning Referral Program!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They wanna be profitable, and don't worry people will still talk about their teslas without the referral program. Its not like all of the sudden people are going to tell their friends "dont buy a tesla because i wont get anything"

After giving away 80 free roadsters, thats $1.6million in lost revenue at least.

After giving away 80 free roadsters, thats $1.6million in lost revenue at least.

First, I think you mean 16million of 'lost' revenue (80x$200k).
Second, I think you mean 20million, since the referral roadsters are $250k each.

But none of that is really valid, since very few of the referral Roadster winners would be buying one (or two) anyway.

So the only thing they're "losing" is the COGS+labor for each NGR they are giving away.

Finally, there's already a thread on this here: Tesla Referral Program To End As Base Model 3 Comes Online

I tell anyone that will listen how great Tesla is, and I offer rides or drives. I know of a couple or three that have bought a Tesla afterwards. I never wanted any reward or recognition other than to watch the Tesla smile spread across their face as they floored it, and mine are not performance models.

Why is it that owners need rewards or recognition? These people are looking through an opening door, unaware of what is possible. That's reward enough. I have confidence in Tesla and I'm willing to help them spread their idea of the future. I've never used my "code" and I probably never will. I will continue to promote Tesla.

Best. Car. Ever. If you don't believe me, just ask!

I tell anyone that will listen how great Tesla is, and I offer rides or drives. I know of a couple or three that have bought a Tesla afterwards. I never wanted any reward or recognition other than to watch the Tesla smile spread across their face as they floored it, and mine are not performance models.

Why is it that owners need rewards or recognition? These people are looking through an opening door, unaware of what is possible. That's reward enough. I have confidence in Tesla and I'm willing to help them spread their idea of the future. I've never used my "code" and I probably never will. I will continue to promote Tesla.

Best. Car. Ever. If you don't believe me, just ask!

Also people tend to get suspicious when you rave about your car and then mention referral codes. It makes your genuine enthusiasm for the car suddenly look a little bit fake.

First, I think you mean 16million of 'lost' revenue (80x$200k).
Second, I think you mean 20million, since the referral roadsters are $250k each.

But none of that is really valid, since very few of the referral Roadster winners would be buying one (or two) anyway.

So the only thing they're "losing" is the COGS+labor for each NGR they are giving away.

Finally, there's already a thread on this here: Tesla Referral Program To End As Base Model 3 Comes Online

https://electrek.co/2019/01/17/tesla-roadster-free-killed-referral-program/

You're right, it was a far fetched idea. So glad i didn't come up with it.

Tesla is giving away over 80 new Roadsters for free, which might have killed the referral program

You're right, it was a far fetched idea. So glad i didn't come up with it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Your math was wrong by a factor of 10. The assumption (whoever is making it) that Tesla would be losing the full value of the NGRs ($250k) is also wrong.

Yes, it's costing them money to fulfill all the awards. But each NGR doesn't cost Tesla $250k and the winners would most likely not be buying one if they hadn't won one, so there's also no lost revenue either.

Ive got 5 refferrals, the rewards were nice, but were not required, or thought of in any form during me considering buying one. They were a bonus. I never pushed my refferral code either. It was nice to save some cash on a wall charger and wheels tho, but i think the biggest reward was early access software, which is both a blessing and curse ;)

Reactions: Light Fury
The referral program has turned into a joke. If referrals were from legitimate friends and family it would make sense. But it has turned into people getting random referrals through social media and forums. When I posted on TMC that I was ordering our first Tesla, I had a dozen private messages from people to try and get me to use their referral code. That was not how the program was intended.

Most of us bought our Tesla because of our own interest in the brand and their products. Not because a friend or social media personality convinced us to purchase one.

I have no problem Tesla getting rid of the program if it cuts costs.

The referral program was useful when there were only a small number of Tesla vehicles on the road.

Now they're everywhere - plus the other manufacturers are even helping with marketing by referring to Tesla when they introduce their new/future EVs competing against Tesla.

Assuming each referral was costing Tesla around $750 (reward, 6 months free supercharging, cost for supporting the program), when Tesla reaches 500,000 vehicles per year - that's an annual savings of $375M...

Also believe that if Tesla is looking for a short term burst of revenue, they could offer a one-time discount to owners with software upgradable features in their cars - for those vehicles that have software-limited battery packs, software-limited chargers (some 48A vehicles already have 72A chargers onboard), or to activate EAP/FSD.

I understand why it is terminating. Just ask someone on the street what Tesla is or who Elon Musk is. I will bet 9 out of 10 will know and have heard all about the vehicles, and understand Musk is involved with both Tesla and Space X. The program has served it's purpose of building brand awareness and at very low cost in comparison to a traditional advertising campaign.

Unfortunately the program has also had a lot of unforeseen issues, especially with YouTubers that do channels to get people to use their reference codes. Often the content is more clik-baitish

With that said, I bet Tesla will bring some program back. Likely with much lower rewards.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Your math was wrong by a factor of 10. The assumption (whoever is making it) that Tesla would be losing the full value of the NGRs ($250k) is also wrong.

Yes, it's costing them money to fulfill all the awards. But each NGR doesn't cost Tesla $250k and the winners would most likely not be buying one if they hadn't won one, so there's also no lost revenue either.

It is a lost sale if they resell it to the next person to recoup the cash.