TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

ELON: Come out with AP 2.0 already - GOD. I need another Tesla and I'm WAITING.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jul 17, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

#1 calisnow, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Okay, I feel better. This is not the kind of problem you can discuss with your friends or even a therapist. I need another Tesla, badly.

Since getting the Model S nobody wants to drive anything else. I am not saying we come to blows, but perhaps close.

"What do you mean you want to come down to my office and swap cars? FINE, take the damn Tesla - I don't care! Just leave me alone. . ."

Elon, I have been waiting a long time - for autopilot 2.0 - to get a second Tesla. I know I have to wait until December/January. I'm trying to be patient but it's difficult - sometimes I get the shakes and break out in a cold sweat.

My girlfriend just showed up at my office and took my Tesla away, and left a nasty SUV in its place. I'm working hard on a Sunday - I don't deserve this treatment.

I am the guy telling everyone on the forum to hold off on their own Teslas until the end of the year - yet I'm having a helluva time taking my own advice.

:sob:

Life is so difficult.

• Funny x 11
    • Informative x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  2. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

While I'm whining I want massage seats and an air suspension with adjustable settings. Here in broke ass California we need a "cloud 9" setting for the dampers to deal with our crummy freeways (those of you in San Diego don't understand the kidney jarring expansion joints and other bumps we deal with in Los Angeles).

Perhaps a teeny weeny bit more sound insulation would be nice as well. And an articulating back rest like BMW uses in its Comfort Seats. Maybe a 120 kwhr battery.

K that's all I got right now. Thanks Elon.

PS - get some sleep.

• Funny x 2
  3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Tesla doesn't release features on model years so it's likely to be longer than December/January. I think a lot of people are in the same boat waiting to upgrade especially if they don't already have autopilot. My guess is that it's probably not coming out until later next year or 2018. Just a guess of course.

• Helpful x 1
  4. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

There's a thread around here somewhere in which I and other folks listed the public hints from Tesla management and also Mobileye in various talks, along with some logical inferences, which seem to point to a December/Jan/Feb timeframe for AP 2.0. I'll have to dig up that thread and post a link for you.

5. krazineurons

krazineurons krazineurons

6. ShadowR55

ShadowR55 Member

It would make sense for Tesla to release hardware this year because it would boost end of year sales so they can hit their sales targets.

Most car manufacturers release their 2017 model year by September or October for good reason. If I am buying a car at the end of the year, let's say September, and car manufacturers wait till Jan 1st to release their new models, then I would just wait till January to buy the newer model. It's all a part of auto buying psychology. If Consumers are going to buy a car in July, they're not going to wait 5 months for a new model year in "January," at least that's what most people would be thinking. But in reality, they would really only need to wait an additional month or two for the new model year. Car buying and selling is a game that dealerships and manufacturers know how to play.

The problem with Tesla is that they are releasing new hardware very quickly(rightfully so) and this will make a lot of people wait on the sidelines until new hardware is released because of FOMO. Regular car manufacturers give their cars a 7-8 year run before making significant changes. Therefore their resale values aren't affected nearly as much as Tesla's because the resale value only gets hurt pretty bad once every 7-8 years. Tesla resale on the other hand will get hurt every time there is a hardware change(like the pre-AP cars).

The most logical solution for this problem would be to allow an avenue to upgrade for the previous X number of years. This would comfort those sideline buyers waiting for the best and the greatest, it would help keep resale values from plummeting which in turn would promote more new car sales. This is also a GREAT avenue for additional revenue with little effort.

7. Tjhappel

Tjhappel Member

I agree, please come out with 2.0 asap. I got stung by an oct 14 loaded model s without AP. I WILL not make the same mistake again. I'm waiting for 2.0 before I buy the model x, I want one so badly but no way I'll go through this again. First world problems!! Hopefully battery will increase also but AP 2.0 is the kicker for me.

8. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

If I had to bet, I'd bet upon software this year and hardware next year, with the possible exception of a different camera that also would be retrofittable to AP1.0 cars.

Hey, a guy can dream.

9. DougH

DougH Active Member

It better be otherwise there is going to be a huge uproar from current owners.

10. yo mama

yo mama Member

sounds like it would be easier to get a new girlfriend.

• Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. krazineurons

krazineurons krazineurons

How is that a good design strategy, am assuming the new software needs newer hardware to function what do they get by releasing the software first, backwards compatibility with existing hardware?

12. Ben W

Ben W P85 #61, Roadster #108

This, but not (just) for comfort. Currently, when the AP requires the driver to take over, it makes an audible chime that can be somewhat easy to miss (because it doesn't simultaneously mute the radio, an oversight which Tesla needs to fix ASAP.) But if the chime could be supplemented with an immediate haptic buzz to the driver's seat, it would be a lot harder to miss.

• Like x 1
  13. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Software to enhance the functionality of the existing platform. AP1.0 ain't dead yet.

14. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I LIKE, any good "safety" justification for a massage chair is GOOD!:D

15. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

What's really going to piss you off is Tesla is going to release Autopilot 1.5 first, and not Autopilot 2.0

The Tesla is all about the tortured decisions.

16. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

17. weak_pig

weak_pig Member

Make it a massaging squeeze to the bum. The longer the driver ignores the signal, the harder the squeeze

18. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Oh no! Some of us might like that

• Funny x 3
  19. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

20. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

There was a lot of foreshadowing for that, the Model X was produced with 2 slots for cameras from the get-go. Sooner later they were going to pop a 2nd camera in there.